Author Topic: No Beckham, No Cry?  (Read 13611 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
No Beckham, No Cry?
« on: 17:17:10, 29/06/12 »
Probably on my own with this but I am disappointed he won't be in the Olympic team - or TeamGB,  he is still playing football, still fit and no-one else can take a free kick or cross the ball like he can - Rod Marsh said last night that Pearce was brave to leave him out - or maybe he feared the Beckham brand overshadowing everything - the sponsors will not be please according to the peeps on the radio - anyway at last we'll see Ryan Giggs playing for the country, Craig Bellamy is a fine player - not heard of Micah Richards though
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Cupcake

Re: No Beckham, No Cry?
« Reply #1 on: 00:12:10, 30/06/12 »
It's brave, certainly.  If there are better players they should play, a squad of just 18 can't carry passengers - but given the chance to put his name on the team list, I think I'd have done it.  David Beckham is a legend in the game - poster boy for sportsmanship.  Micah Richards?   The man who refused to go to Euro 2012?  Wouldn't have been my pick, especially not in the context of playing well with the other two over-23 players.

More importantly, if the news is right and there are no Scots, no Irish players and nobody who went to Euro 2012, who IS going?   ???   
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 07:55:08, 02/07/12 »
The squad is due to be announced some time today

St Chads

« Reply #3 on: 08:26:10, 02/07/12 »
You are not on your own in this celeste , DB should have been on the list if only to boost Morale (ok he's is nowhere near as good as he was ) but then....when did Mr Pearce know a good footballer from a not so good footballer ???
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 16:14:25, 02/07/12 »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2167672/London-2012-Olympics-Team-GB-mens-football-squad-revealed.html

I can't believe it - it's supposed to be TEAMGB - Pearce hasn't picked anyone from Scotland or Northern Ireland :o

Cupcake

« Reply #5 on: 22:37:08, 02/07/12 »
They announced that when they said Becks wasn't in.  Never considered any player who went to Euro2012 either.  Bizarre.  Is there some agreement in place with all the other Olympic selectors to not send an A team?  Or is everyone else sending the best they have and we are about to be very embarrassed?    ??? 

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 23:27:01, 02/07/12 »
Someone has said that the Scottish F.A. weren't enthusiastic about their players being picked :-\

Cupcake

« Reply #7 on: 12:00:52, 03/07/12 »
I don't know - there seem to be some right nasty things going on in the selection process this time.  Maybe it's always like this and we are only finding out because it's on home turf.  Dwain Chambers left hanging about all this time, the Tae Kwan Do panel refusing to pick the best because he doesn't use their preferred training, something going on about basketball (I think it was) and GB getting a place on the understanding the national teams would combine, but now someone's reneging - and  now the football fiasco.  It's all very distasteful, really.... 

St Chads

« Reply #8 on: 08:20:28, 04/07/12 »
Was it ever thus .

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

lozflan

« Reply #9 on: 10:15:27, 04/07/12 »
I POSTED ON EURO 2012 BUT SHOULD HAVE GONE HERE, MUST READ MORE.AS AN ADD ON BECKS SHOULD SPENT MORE TIME HERE  TO INFLUENCE THINGS MORE.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 13:55:58, 04/07/12 »
I really think he'd like to go back to United in some capacity - he is often seen at the Trafford Centre

St Chads

« Reply #11 on: 08:17:52, 05/07/12 »
I agree celeste, i think Becks will go back to United , he loves Man Utd .

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Cupcake

« Reply #12 on: 11:12:11, 05/07/12 »
He went out the door with a boot aimed at his head.  I don't believe he would ever have left by choice.  Alex Ferguson pushed him out the door because Beckham was headlining in his own right and threatening to overshadow him -  and I don't think that ego will do a u turn and ask him back.   

St Chads

« Reply #13 on: 11:54:29, 05/07/12 »
Nah no Cc...Becks was getting too big for his boots ...Fergie knew it would lead him the wrong way and that his mind wouldn't have been on the game ...Fergie is a lot of things but he's not all about himself , he's all about United ...David should have seen the warning signs , there is no one bigger than the Club ...

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 07:29:49, 09/07/12 »
Giggs has been made Captain of the Olympic football team