Author Topic: No Beckham, No Cry?  (Read 13613 times)

St Chads

Re: No Beckham, No Cry?
« Reply #30 on: 07:55:32, 16/07/12 »
i agree, cups.   never met the man but to me he comes across as arogant. this could be the effect of always having to be the better,[ m.u. fans dont care as long as they win]     is it true alec hit the bottle when city took the league ??? ??

Lol....did he hit the bottle when Citeh bought the league ? 
I had a few meself . ;D
" Life calls the tune , we dance ".

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

lozflan

« Reply #31 on: 09:00:38, 16/07/12 »
did you see the richest clubs table this wk.end???  m/c--20 ml. income, m.u. take that in t.v. rights alone@ earn a third more.  m.c. no .12 in table,  chealsea no. 1.    its not how much you,ve got but what you do with it.   i think a clean sweep did the trick.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

St Chads

« Reply #32 on: 10:18:14, 16/07/12 »
did you see the richest clubs table this wk.end???  m/c--20 ml. income, m.u. take that in t.v. rights alone@ earn a third more.  m.c. no .12 in table,  chealsea no. 1.    its not how much you,ve got but what you do with it.   i think a clean sweep did the trick.

Yes lozflan ...i saw that , you're  right ..it is "what you do with it" and How you do it . ...Man Utd have done exceedingly well over the last 20 years or so .....Fergie has to be lauded for what he has done (Premier League, British Football etc) himself ...I don't think we will see the like of it again ..to be fair. O0

Yes , the Citeh fans are pinching themselves to think that they are now among the big 4,thanks to the Sheik .To think that a once mediocre club are now the richest club in the world makes one wonder just what money can buy .
« Last Edit: 10:26:18, 16/07/12 by St Chads »

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Cupcake

« Reply #33 on: 20:28:24, 16/07/12 »
Football is a sport like any other, and money always talks.  You can't buy a League Title, and you can't buy a team - you have to build one - but having a nice big pot of money to buy exactly the talent you need helps an awful lot.  Having more money than anyone else is an advantage.  And that is what United had for years.  They were the biggest earning club in the world and spent it on the team, both star players and the youth team, so nobody else in England could outspend them.  Now the boot's literally on the other foot and Chelsea and City have billionaire owners who will spend to improve; whilst United have the delightful Glasers soaking up the income. 

It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

Jim44

« Reply #34 on: 20:33:45, 16/07/12 »
Couldn't have put it better myself Cuppy :)

Cupcake

« Reply #35 on: 20:50:32, 16/07/12 »
I'm waiting for the day the Glasers pack up and leave, Jim.  I respect their right to regard United as a business and use it as an asset and I won't go round crying foul, but I sincerely wish they'd never set foot here.  We are only just seeing the start of their damage, and if they don't put some serious money back on the table, instead of relying on existing and ageing assets, then there are some lean years coming.  :-\

St Chads

« Reply #36 on: 06:49:16, 17/07/12 »
Just a couple of facts ..   

Utd had  6  youngsters , brought through by Fergie,  they and Cantona of course  were the catalyst of our success..Cost  ...............................almost nothing .

Creating your own wealth and having it showered on you, are two totally different ways of going about your business  ,something that doesn't sit all too comfortable with me Jim .
 If the "Lean " years come , so what , let them come ...we've had 20 years of pure magic, (i literally couldn't breath the night of the CL win in 99 ) some of the most delightful times of my life.let Citeh and or Chelsea have what they desire/buy ....i know who'll be the happier .

ps...it's Glazers btw.
« Last Edit: 06:55:38, 17/07/12 by St Chads »

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Cupcake

« Reply #37 on: 17:15:57, 17/07/12 »
I'd have thought a reds fan as fervent as you claim to be might have heard of the Busby Babes?  Fergie was busy being nobody at all in the wilds of Scotland whilst United's truly legendary manager was spending pots of money finding youngsters to bring through within the ethos of the club.  Your hero inherited that culture.  Credit to him for having the brains to see its worth.  The idiot Yanks will starve it to death whilst they ream out 50% of the club's net income per year for themselves, pocket the money made selling the TTC and rack up £45M per year owed in interest on bonds until maturity in 2017.  Sooner they pack up, the better. 

St Chads

« Reply #38 on: 13:17:25, 18/07/12 »
 I didn't really want to get into the Glazers debate, Cupcake, or off the point and onto Sir Matt for that matter. We all know the debt we owe him. However, to attempt to discredit Ferguson's achievements simply due to a matter of birth date is asinine. "Pots Of Money" ? Busby was the first to recognize the value in bringing youth players together as a group and if, in order to achieve startling and ground-breaking success with that policy you spend a couple of quid, tell me which successful enterprise hasn't ?

You want to talk about wilderness? United hadn't won anything for 26 years until Ferguson took over. He may have mimicked a policy previously used by arguably the most innovative and greatest manager British football has ever seen, however, that's not a bad blueprint to utilize is it cupcake? ( and I'm not using your name there, just an apt pronoun ) Furthermore, to have the guts to do it at a time when money was being poured into football demands respect. To achieve success with it, deserves admiration.

The "idiot yanks" already have been stripping the club bare of income and making money off the club's debts. It is reprehensible and selfish beyond belief but "idiotic" from their perspective ? Absolutely not at all. All your penultimate point does is strengthen the Ferguson argument further. The reason the club was worth all the money the Glazer family borrowed to lay out for it was because of Ferguson's success with predominantly youth products that cost nothing. On top of this, while the Glazers bleed the best club in the World for all it's worth, Abramovich and the Sheikhs are putting a large percentage of their net worth INTO their clubs. The difference is Ferguson keeps winning with squads that the whole world agrees aren't as good on paper as these multi-million pound mercenary filled teams..... and when United lose ? They lose on goal difference with a minute left of the season, having not played up to their level all year and suffering the most difficult of injury crises. Just give them Vidic back for 6 months and they'd have won it at a canter. Again.

JOHN GALSWORTHY,

Cupcake

« Reply #39 on: 14:33:50, 18/07/12 »
Alex Ferguson is a truly great football manager, but the personality traits that make him so are not likeable ones.  I can respect his ability and value his presence whilst thoroughly disliking his personality.
That is what I actually said.  In what way does that discredit his achievements?  You are ranting in the most idiotic fashion at someone who agrees with you about his ability and track record.  I only take exception to your suggestion that United's success begins and ends with one man who is apprently the centre of your Universe.  It doesn't. 

Idiot Yanks are the ones who can't see that their endless quest for profit is ripping out the cornerstones of the inherent value of their asset.  The youth side, the inhouse training centre, the loyalty of the fan base, the ongoing investment in the actual football - they are already in a position where nobody will pay them enough for United to cover the debts they have leveraged against the club's worth AND they have separated that debt from the Club itself, using their "Red Football" company.  That means United won't go bankrupt, their company will.  United's value will drop through the floor and there will be no shortage of buyers willing to invest to fix the damage.  Sooner the better for me. You believe they are bright?  Perhaps that depends on personal perspective...   However, on that subject I believe my words were that I respect their right to regard it as a business and use it as an asset?

Far be it from me to interfere with you making a show of yourself, but honestly, I've no interest in defending myself over things I never said, so I've said my piece and I am out now.     

Dor

« Reply #40 on: 10:57:20, 24/07/12 »
..  ;D ...are you out ..indeed ? who gives a flying sausage anyway .

Just who exactly is making a show of themselves??? me or thee ?. 8)
'I am such a bloody talented guy. I might go into painting or something"
AF