Author Topic: Sackville Street - Volvo Dealership  (Read 15717 times)

colincampsite

Re: Sackville Street - Volvo Dealership
« Reply #15 on: 06:58:33, 29/03/13 »
When I was about 12 we moved to Daylesford Crescent, Cheadle. It was 1956 I think. This was a new development of D.J.Emery houses. A few doors away lived Johnny Wallwork. He gave me some brochures of Volvo cars so I could copy the cut-away drawings from them. I asked why he had a beard and was told it was because he had facial injuries from his car racing escapades. I knew he was famous but he wasn't unapproachable.

trooperj3

« Reply #16 on: 08:03:36, 24/05/13 »
Just browsing the internet and came across this forum. My father, Reg Walsh used to work at County Garage as an auto electrician. I believe he used to work on the cars that John Wallwork raced, I have an old photo of John Wallwork and a group of employees around a Triumph TR3? probably taken in the late 50's. Also have several old photos relating to County Garage if anyone is interested.
I used to go to County Garage some Saturday mornings as a young boy with my father and remember going out with Elsie who drove a blue Anglia van delivering parts etc.

metrolivia

« Reply #17 on: 01:08:31, 20/01/14 »
I used to work at JW in 1972/73....I was on the switchboard and used to wear hotpants a lot and had long brown hair.  Martin Ingram, Eggan (John) Bacon and another taller Martin with dark hair were the sales people and someone called Bob I think..  I recall JW would pop in either in a rolls royce or a small orange Honda.  I used to type vovlo instead of Volvo on the letters.  I was hounded by Martin Ingram and left.  It was a nice place to work.  I was there during the 3 day week when we had electric for only half the week and petrol was rationed out front.  An old guy used to give out the petrol in a white coat. I remember a young woman working there with her mother, their office was across the forecourt from the office I had and a lady called Doreen I believe ran the leased vehicles.

I have been trying to find a photograph in the Archives but cannot.  Someone on here keeps asking if JW is OK...I dont think they mean JW senior as he was really old when I worked there and I am really old now!!  I think they must mean son of Barry possibly.

Barbara Ogden

« Reply #18 on: 15:58:32, 18/02/15 »
I joined John Wallworks at Sackville Street in 1965 after having the best interview ever by Carole, Barry's secretary and we've kept in touch with each other over the years and are great friends. I worked on reception and did various office duties. I worked there until 1972. They were great times. I remember: John Bacon (Sam Ham!), Derek Brown, Bob Kirkham, Paul Proctor and David Mugglestone. Bill was on pumps. At Aytoun Street I remember: Martin Ingham, Alan Cooper and Bob McKenzie.
I was told that John Wallwork died in the 1990's and sadly Barry Wallwork, who was not only a wonderful boss but also a really lovely guy, passed away in 2014. I will never forget those great days at ' John Wallwork's ' .

metrolivia

« Reply #19 on: 22:47:12, 25/02/15 »
Does anyone remember the John Wallwork Volvo dealership that used to be on Sackville Street during the 70s?  I worked there for a few years, along with my mum.  It was one of the nicest jobs I have ever had.  I have very fond memories of it.  :)
Here is a snap of me as I was when I worked at Sackville Street...I was 16 and it was 1973.  I remember you and your mum working in the office across the shop floor to me.

Adsum

« Reply #20 on: 09:08:20, 27/02/15 »
Here is a snap of me as I was when I worked at Sackville Street...I was 16 and it was 1973.  I remember you and your mum working in the office across the shop floor to me.

I would have had you on the sales desk dressed like that. I'm sure the car sales, (If not the prospective customers blood pressure)  would have gone through the roof.)  8)  (It's nice to get old and not give a fig about being PC).  ;D
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

David Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 19:33:53, 31/07/17 »
My father, Ted Cooper was stores manager at JW Sackville st, Aytoun St
And then just outside Mcr town centre in total for 25 years, retiring in 1974.
As children we visited the garages, went on a coupe of the summer outings and
Later as adults to the Xmas meals at a hotel in Urmston, remember John W, my dad always called him 'the old man', Barry, and Frank Walsh. Lovely to see these messages!

trooperj3

« Reply #22 on: 17:55:38, 04/11/17 »
My father, Reg Walsh, worked for John Wallworks as an auto electrician in the 50's and early 60's. As a young boy I went to Sackville street many times with him on a Saturday morning I remember going out with Elsie in a blue Anglia van (if I recall correctly) collecting/delivering parts. I have a black and white photo of John Wallwork with his staff, dated 1953, standing by a Triumph TR2 or TR3 sports car that he had just won or competed in the British International Rally. I understood my father used to do all the electrical work when the car was prepared for rallying. Happy to post it if it would be of interest.
I also remember going to the Vulcan works garage later on before he finished working there and we moved to North Wales.  [size=78%] [/size]

Matt Varnish

« Reply #23 on: 18:56:31, 13/12/17 »
Does anyone remember the mechanics that worked at JW?

Graham Robinson

« Reply #24 on: 00:33:53, 17/08/18 »
Hello all.  Nice to see these memories of John Wallwork.  I worked at the Aytoun Street showroom cleaning the cars in 1970 under Barry and remember cleaning the Volvo sports car driven by The Saint !!.  I only worked there a few weeks before getting  job at JH Bounds on Sackville Street right near the main garage.  My father Albert Robinson used to clean the windows at both sites in the 1970's and he used to call me in to clean the white tiles in the mechanics area at the back of Sackville St. It was backbreaking and took us ages!  I later helped dad clean the windows at the new showroom on Ashton New Road and had one of my first pints in the small pub nearby. Happy days. Graham

Matt Varnish

« Reply #25 on: 09:22:59, 17/08/18 »
I now remember the names of a couple of mechanics at Pollard Street. 1. Frank Grimes, Frank Shawcross and Chris (can't remember his surname).They worked there when Frank Walsh was workshop manager

Matt Varnish

« Reply #26 on: 11:24:08, 28/06/19 »
There was also a Bill Wallwork who worked in the stores.

albinoni

« Reply #27 on: 23:28:39, 11/06/22 »
Hello trooperj3,
Yes, I would like to see the photo(s) of John Wallwork and his staff and Triumph TR. Please post the pix, or message me about them :) We old Triumph owners love this sort of thing!