Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60660 times)

Thorney

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #60 on: 10:48:11, 28/03/16 »
Anyone with any old photos of Lathbury Rd, Harpurhey from the 1960's

Thorney

« Reply #61 on: 13:01:41, 30/03/16 »
Does anyone know the whereabouts of a girl ( woman ) called Bernadine Thompson ( maiden name ) she used to live in Lathbury Rd, Harpurhey, the last time I saw her was in 1965 just before I joined the army, first girl I ever kissed !! :smitten:

briggsy

« Reply #62 on: 17:04:50, 30/03/16 »
Hi Thornly, well it sounds Like first Love lasting love, I know the feeling, mind you, she has been on your mind quite some time hey,, have you managed to find or contact her yet then? good luck, Alan

Thorney

« Reply #63 on: 18:15:06, 30/03/16 »
Hi Alan,no,I have'nt been able to contact Bernadine, I was hoping someone might know her whereabouts, love to make contact with her.

migky

« Reply #64 on: 08:53:07, 02/04/16 »
Lots more on Manchester image website. Almost all are taken 1968 if it isn't to late?

Migky ;)

I'm a bit like Marmite

Thorney

« Reply #65 on: 11:21:21, 02/04/16 »
Thanks for the photo of Lathbury Rd MIGKY, I've been in that shop so many times, used to pocket the odd tube of smarties !!! Great memories

Thorney

« Reply #66 on: 10:58:06, 02/05/16 »
Hi Briggsy,

I used to know of Eddie Mannion but he was older than me, shame about his accident. I also worked at Rileys from 1962 to 1964 I then moved to Tootals off the Oldham Rd, I lived on Lathbury Rd till 1965 then I joined the Army, good days.

All the best from Thorney

briggsy

« Reply #67 on: 13:38:13, 02/05/16 »
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, you must of worked at rileys about the same time as me really,
did you know Eddie Caveney also, or Chas Atheton?, they also worked there.
and Bagnalls near the bridge on Lilley street or the Hope Pub also on Liley Street? Alan

Wales

« Reply #68 on: 17:04:05, 24/05/16 »
Hi, being new to this site myself I was wondering if anybody knows of any books on the history of Harpurhey from 1946 to 1960.
I recently bought 2 books by Joe Kay called Harpurhey Lad and am interested in more history on Harpurhey particularly round Rochdale Road, Conron Street and Moston Lane.
Thank you,
Geoff

migky

« Reply #69 on: 17:15:43, 24/05/16 »
Hi Wales, here are a couple for you

North Manchester Remembered - £4.50
J Kay. More chronicles of a Harpurhey Lad 1914-1950. Well illustrated with old photographs and maps. A4 48pp.

Old Pubs of Rochdale Road and Neighbourhood - £4.00
B Potts. Record of pubs on Rochdale Road, Collyhurst and Harpurhey. Street by street listing. Well illustrated with old photographs.

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

StevieJ

« Reply #70 on: 13:59:18, 02/01/17 »
Hi past and present Harpurheyn's.

I lived in Watt St near Alfred St between 1962 and 1970 before they pulled down the old Terrace houses and was forced to move to Damhead Estate in Blackley.

I remember Cathcarts store on the end of our road. If anyone has any photo's or even a Map of the area I would dearly love to see it again. Memories are fading fast.

I live in Northern Ireland now after serving 29 years in the Military and haven't been back to my old stopping ground since around 1978. I would love to be able to show my Children where I used to live.

If anyone can help please do. It would mean a lot to me.

Thank you. O0

briggsy

« Reply #71 on: 22:00:28, 03/01/17 »
Hello, are you by any chance related to Tommy a Littlewood who lived in Collyhurst. ALAN BRIGGS

StevieJ

« Reply #72 on: 23:14:15, 03/01/17 »
hi, No. My Dad is Alan Johnson and Mother, Maureen. We used to live at No 4 Watt Street. My Dad was from Collyhurst mind. He was born in 1938 and had a Brother named Kenneth.

RalphWilson

« Reply #73 on: 15:04:48, 04/02/17 »
I joined the 67th Harpurhey Methodist scout troop in 1966 as assistant scout leader the group scout leader was Derick Ray. I became scout leader (Kim) and we had a thriving troop winning lots of scouting competitions as well as having a great football team, some of the scouts that spring to mind are Alan & Norman Ostel, David Hume, John Ashley, John & David Kulasik, GED Shorrocks, Ian Crompton. It would be good to hear from anyone in the troop during the sixties. I also courted and met my wife Susan Tracey at the 67th she was a cub leader and lived in Hatfield Street.

Harborough manc

« Reply #74 on: 23:29:46, 21/04/17 »
I was born in beech mount hospital and lived on Westfield street until 1973. Then was moved to Dam Head. Due to demolition . Mrs coopers sweet shop on conran street was where I spent my spends every week