Author Topic: Harpurhey memories  (Read 60634 times)

Parky

Re: Harpurhey memories
« Reply #75 on: 19:34:47, 20/07/17 »
I remember having my first tattoo at a shop on upper Conran  street , the name of the tattooist was a "character " called Cash cooper he was rough as a bears bum and you didn't take liberties with him  ,he finished nearly a bottle of whisky whilst he did my tattoo, and physically threw my mate out of the shop for messing about ;D  I was only fifteen at the time but it was one of those steps of growing up in the real world,( not the tattoo but the experience)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #76 on: 19:52:55, 20/07/17 »
A mate of mine lived on Lotherton st. in the early 70's it's very different place now

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: 20:01:19, 20/07/17 »
Freddie Garrity lived there (Freddie & the Dreamers) - that's the only thing I can remember about Harpurhey
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Andrew Sampson

« Reply #78 on: 17:25:32, 03/09/17 »
My mother Hazel Harrison lived at 15, Pleasant Street in 1954.
If anyone knows anything about her or her family.
I would love to know.

Andrew

barbara duffy

« Reply #79 on: 21:18:24, 06/01/19 »
Went to Harpurhey Technical High School for girls between 1964 to 1970 My name then was Barbara Duffy my older sister Susan also my younger sister Carole Remember all the girls have been to two reunions but nobody there from my time

#

michael foy

« Reply #80 on: 09:05:44, 02/05/20 »
Following on from my last post, I have recently discovered that one of the shops I'm looking for was on a V shaped corner of Conran Street with Rochdale Road near Turkey Lane.  Anybody knew it?

Hi I am harpurhey born there was 2 shops next door to one another !

Burgess street pupil

« Reply #81 on: 11:37:56, 14/06/20 »
I am really happy to have found this forum.

I lived in Crumpsall View within the Small and Parkes factory.  I was born there in 1952 and left in 1967.
I can't find any reference to Small and Parkes or Crumpsall View anywhere. The River Irk ran at the back of our houses and it changed colour regularly because there was a dye works down the road which dumped stuff into it. There were times that it looked like milk!

I went to Burgess street school when  Mr Goodwin was the headmaster and I have fond memories of Mrs Townsley who did the pantomime of Snow White (in 1961/2 I think it was) I played the Wicked Queen. Very happy times at Burgess Street school.
I would love to hear from anyone who remembers Small and Parkes or Crumpsall view.
« Last Edit: 11:54:18, 14/06/20 by Burgess street pupil »

Parky

« Reply #82 on: 14:50:06, 14/06/20 »
Didn’t they make brake linings?

Burgess street pupil

« Reply #83 on: 15:32:55, 14/06/20 »
That's right. The workers from the factory came out every day covered in asbestos - all walking down our street leaving white bits behind them - I can remember the smell of it. I often wonder how many of them became ill.
My mum worked there but she worked as a warper making webbing.

Jc01

« Reply #84 on: 17:21:52, 14/06/20 »
I worked at Small and Parker’s for a short time in the mid 60s in the stores serving the MBL (Moulded Brake Linings) and the ABL (Asbestos Brake Linings). Very good staff benefits, but no suggestion at that time of the danger associated with asbestos usage that was going to become very public a few years later!
My main memory, though, is (as a virtual schoolboy) of of the mass charge for the buses at the end of the day In my naivety I really couldn’t understand how people could hate work that much.

krisbrookz

« Reply #85 on: 10:10:51, 19/06/20 »
I remember the Small and Parkes Social Club off Smedley Lane from the 60's, my pal Wallah worked there for a time in the Labs I think. Next to the Bar was a Concert/Snooker room tho' we never saw any shows. Was 'Crumpsall View' the houses with the huge front gardens on Hendham Vale next to 'BookBinder Bakery' opposite Small and Parkes, they backed on to the Cemetery I think.  Elkie Brooks' (Elaine BookBinder ? ) dad owned the Bakery.    :)   

Dorothyl

« Reply #86 on: 00:22:04, 09/10/21 »
hello everyone. i have had to do this on a reply as im having trouble trying to find new topic.
please can anyone help me with a confustion. i was told the school christ church i went to had been turned into a pub. then had closed down some years later and now is a store/ shop
 it is on rochdale road. what im confuse about is this. if my school ended up being a pub then a shop. how did they manage to do it? ive been told theres/ was 2 pubs with the same name.  i wrote an email to the priest at christ church near the shopping center and ask him if he could help. he returned my email and said he will check the records for me. i only had to wait a week and he replied back he said the now shop on rochdale road was once chirst church school. please could anyone help me as im really confused. it was suggested that the grass patch near the shop was proberbly where my school was. but if you look at the school photo, and the pub and the shop they all have the same side road between. what i can make out where the corner shop was is now a house. i hope this makes sence. please can any one help me as ive printed off what i was told was my old school and now the shop and before the pub.  thank you everyone. please excuse me asking this. thank you all again

kind regards Dorothy

conrad

« Reply #87 on: 20:22:26, 30/11/21 »
This was my late father in law, Clifford Stiles business. it was on the corner of Alfred St. and Rochdale road.

Is this the same Stiles that were on the corner of Thorpe Road Newton Heath?

Nico86

« Reply #88 on: 15:50:38, 09/01/22 »
Hi, I'm very late to this post and I'm sorry for that but I believe the woman you mention brenda jackson may be a long lost relation of mine iv been trying to trace her was she living on southwell street at the time you where friends? Any information on her would be greatly appreciated :) I really hope this reaches you and I'm not to late.

Angela from Manchester

« Reply #89 on: 14:52:05, 25/01/22 »
Hiya, I went to HTHS for Girls from 1965 but not for long as we moved out of the area.
I was Angela Casey then.  Can't remember many names but I think I remember yours.
My friend there was Pauline Johnson and I think there was a Janet Haworth.