Author Topic: Adobe  (Read 3099 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Adobe
« on: 00:28:43, 04/08/12 »
Keep getting this Adobe pop-up, says a website wants to open up, I press don't allow and don't show message again and it comes  back again and again especially when I go on to another forum or my email messages

help!
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Cupcake

Re: Adobe
« Reply #1 on: 08:33:28, 04/08/12 »
Adobe are the people who own the software that reads pdf files.  As long as the site trying to open really is Adobe's, all it's trying to do is give you free upgrades to the software.  Adobe give away the PDF reading software to everyone, because that way, they can sell more copies of the software that makes pdfs.    Equally, if you decline the upgrades, nothing much will happen.  You might one day find your version won't open pdfs any more, but if so, you can pop along to the Adobe site yourself and download the latest version or reader for free.  Up to you.  My PC checks the certificate on the site and assures me it is Adobe themselves, so I tend to accept the updates.  If you are worried it's not really Adobe, then push the "no thanks" button and stay safe. 
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 08:51:03, 04/08/12 »
Well if it is Adobe I'll press allow in future - was a bit wary as another pop-up kept doing the same - Tune-Up Utilities  :-\

Cupcake

« Reply #3 on: 20:13:09, 04/08/12 »
Don't know that one.  On the Adobe front, I get my updates when I first boot up in the mornings.  If you are getting the pop up when you open a pdf file, that would probably be genuine.  Anything else just randomly popping up, you're right to be cautious. Maybe better to go to the Adobe site and download the latest free version of reader.  Just be careful to click on the free reader software, because obviously there are all kinds of things on there to buy too.

Have you seen the one that puts up a Windows warning screen, saying you have a virus?  Scam from a bunch of people who then get you to phone them, calling themselves the "Windows Support Centre", get you to give them access to your computer so they can show you various screens (fake ones) and get you to pay over the market price for security software.  Not even illegal, as they are charging you for software plus installation and advice, and you voluntarily contacted them and they never said they were Microsoft.  Check that one by clicking to close the window.  The scam version asks you if you are sure you want to navigate away from that page.  If your PC was showing you a genuine warning window, it wouldn't be a webpage, it'd just be a window.......
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

mel the bell

« Reply #4 on: 20:27:48, 04/08/12 »
hmmm not sure what you mean, adobe ONLY pops up windows when theres an upgrade to software on your computer such as adobe reader, either click install or remind me later.
BUT
it never pops up online and NEVER makes your browsing awkward, sounds more like a pop up off a website

scan using your anti virus and malwarebytes anti malware see if that cures it
You sir, are a buffoon

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 22:01:59, 04/08/12 »
I clicked 'allow' and then the x and it went ???

mel the bell

« Reply #6 on: 22:05:58, 04/08/12 »
I clicked 'allow' and then the x and it went ???
depends what it was that you allowed tut norty gurl
You sir, are a buffoon

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 22:16:01, 04/08/12 »
huh - as if :P

kerouac_zoso

« Reply #8 on: 12:16:44, 19/02/13 »
Adobe can be also the flash player....