Author Topic: Burgons the grocers  (Read 14653 times)

Tornado Red

Burgons the grocers
« on: 00:58:20, 15/08/12 »
Does anyone remember what happened to the Burgons grocers chain?. Some of the shops were still going in the late 1950's, were they taken over or did they just close down. If anyone has any memories or photo's that would be great

JillR

Re: Burgons the grocers
« Reply #1 on: 11:02:02, 16/08/12 »
Burgons - were they not also called Seymour Mead? I remember a branch of SM on Ashton Old Road, early 1950s, a real old-fashioned grocer with loose butter, sugar, bacon etc, and biscuits in big tins that were weighed out into paper bags. I can almost smell the shop aroma  :) . It was like something out of Dickens, now that I think back. Amazing.

Tornado Red

« Reply #2 on: 17:48:40, 16/08/12 »
Hi, I think Seymour Mead was a separate chain of grocers. Although by the description sounds just like the old Burgons shops. Burgons were styled as Tea Blenders and High class grocers, and at their peak, [probably about WW1 time] had 200+ shops throughout Manchester and the North West. However, they did not change with the times and by the 1950's the shops were looking very old fashioned.

What I would like to know is what happened to them , did they just close down, or were they taken over by another chain.

Any comments or old pictures would be great. 

migky

« Reply #3 on: 09:36:04, 17/08/12 »
The Burgons grocers, the T. Seymour Mead companies and the Sungold products Ltd of Manchester were all part of the Moores stores Ltd company group. Who i think were a Newcastle based company? I think the Burgons grocer part of the company was taken over by Wright's biscuits of South Shields group in Dec 1963. Wright's held a 36% share of the Moores stores companies.

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

migky

« Reply #4 on: 09:51:03, 17/08/12 »
I can almost smell the shop aroma  :) . It was like something out of Dickens, now that I think back. Amazing.

Hi JillR,
Do you know Burgons were fined £5 equivalent to £77 of today's money and with costs of £28 -17s equivalent to £442 today's for selling a green mouldy pasty at there Seymour Grove, Old Trafford premises back in 1958.

Migky   :o
I'm a bit like Marmite

Tornado Red

« Reply #5 on: 18:55:30, 19/08/12 »
Hi Migky,

Many thanks for this interesting information. You do seem to know quite a bit about the history of these firms.

My interest in the matter is that during the research of my family tree I discovered that my Great Grandad  and his sons were directors of Burgons Ltd just prior to WW1. I am descended from one of his daughters.

If you could throw any light on the following that would be great:-

[1] Any idea when T Seymour Mead & Co Ltd and Burgons Ltd were acquired by Moores Stores Ltd. I have accounts for Burgons Ltd for 1939 and they were still an independent public company then, although struggling a bit!!. The company number for Burgons Ltd  [00058137] was only struck off at Companies House in 1976.

[2] I assume the separate identities of the shops were retained, I have some ‘Tea Cards’ from about 1961 that are printed on the reverse T Seymour Mead & Co Ltd at the top and underneath Burgons Ltd. Indicating that these cards could be used with tea packets branded as Seymour Mead or Burgons. You say Wrights Biscuits took over the Burgons Grocers in Dec 1963, did the shops continue to trade as Burgons or did the name change or were the shops just closed.

[3] What happened to the T Seymour Mead & Co Ltd shops?

[4] Any idea if ‘Gowers & Burgons Ltd Tea Dealers and Grocers were connected in any way? Their shops tended to be in the Sheffield area in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Anyway, any help with the above would be much appreciated.

All the best, Rob. [Tornado Red]

tscott102

« Reply #6 on: 16:15:51, 27/03/13 »
Hi,

I have done a lot of research on my family tree. Charles Henry Scott (my Great Great Grandfather) was Chairman of the company in the 1800's, if you would like more information feel free to contact me.

Out of interest what is your family link to the company?

Regards

Tom

PaulWM

« Reply #7 on: 23:33:31, 09/04/13 »

There used to be a Seymour Mead AND Burgons shop on Marsland Road Sale in the 1960's. I Remember queueing outside to get served. Once inside, you worked your way along a counter and asked the staff for the products you required and they handed them over or wrapped them for you. As I was a young boy and the staff all knew me, I often used to be given free custard creams biscuits from the jar.

Does anyone have a photo of that part of Marsland Road during the period (not too far from Brooklands Station/the canal)?

Regards

Paul

PaulWM

« Reply #9 on: 00:01:05, 10/04/13 »
Wow that was a fast reply! Thankyou.

tony dixon

« Reply #10 on: 16:23:38, 10/04/13 »
Dunno if this is relevant but it has a certain nostalgic look about it.

Platt Lane Rusholme 1973 - courtesy Manchester Image Collection.

« Last Edit: 16:12:04, 25/07/14 by Chris »

PaulWM

« Reply #11 on: 16:54:58, 10/04/13 »
Anchor butter 9d? Those were the days!

tony dixon

« Reply #12 on: 17:17:01, 10/04/13 »

Tornado Red

« Reply #13 on: 16:18:32, 19/04/13 »
Interesting to see that T Seymour Mead was still trading in 1973. Does anyone have any idea when the last Seymour Mead and Burgons shop closed. Burgons were still listed at Companies house until 1976.

Tornado Red

« Reply #14 on: 19:51:34, 04/05/13 »
The 1975 Manchester phone book still lists about a dozen Burgons shops,
 [Altringham, Buxton, Heaton Moor, Chapel-en-le-Fritha, Chinley, Glossop,
 Knutsford, 125 & 310 Wilmslow Rd, & Whaley Bridge] Any photos of these would be interesting.