Author Topic: Storage system  (Read 1825 times)

Jim44

Storage system
« on: 20:44:57, 21/08/12 »
I have a 1TB external Seagate hard drive.
Suddenly my desktop (win7) and my laptop (XL) won't reconize it. I've tried different USB ports.

Any idea's?

Cupcake

Re: Storage system
« Reply #1 on: 22:09:13, 21/08/12 »
That's odd if it's always seen it before.  Obvious questions are: is the power light on the drive lit and have you checked the USB cable by swapping in a new one?  My PC goes into automatic device recognition if I boot up with the device plugged in - have you tried that?  And finally, have you checked the drive is working by plugging it into another PC and checked your USB ports by plugging in some other device?

If you've a working drive plugged into power and a working USB port with a working cable and your PC's still not seeing it, then I am stumped, I confess......  I shall think more. 

It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

Jim44

« Reply #2 on: 21:22:30, 23/08/12 »
Done all of the above Cc, device power ok, usb cable ok. Can only presume it's the device itself, or the usb intake on it.

Cupcake

« Reply #3 on: 10:50:57, 24/08/12 »
Unfortunately then, it does sound like a dead drive.....if it really won't work with another PC, then the only last-ditch suggestion I'd have would be to pop into PC World and enquire whether they have a service that's worth trying. They do various repairs and restores, and they're mostly not bad value - but it depends what you paid for the drive and whether there's anything on there that's irreplaceable to you. 

If you can get a diagnostic  report that says it's a manufacturing defect, say a bad sector or something, then even if you've had it longer than the warranty, you're entitled to argue that it was not fit for purpose when sold to you...... you might get a replacement.

It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

mel the bell

« Reply #4 on: 13:04:37, 06/10/12 »
it happened to me once and just suddenly magically started working again, but as cupcake said it could be a knackered drive, not much you can do tbh
You sir, are a buffoon