Author Topic: Bus deregulation 1986  (Read 6587 times)

MargaretB

Re: Bus deregulation 1986
« Reply #15 on: 14:22:09, 07/10/12 »
I remember getting the 75 bus in Hulme to go ice skating in Cheetham Hill on Sundays.  Not sure where it went after I got off!

The 99 was a Princess Road bus and after deregulation they re-routed it along Lloyd Street South.  I remember catching it home one day and a lady was complaining and saying she did not understand why it had to go along this awful road and they should have left it on Princess Road/Parkway.  I pointed out that before regulation we had 4 or 5 buses along Lloyd Street, since regulation - 1 or 2 (think the 123 kept running for a while but can't remember).  It may be an inconvenience to her but it was all we had left.

The 123 was one of those quirky routes, started at the terminus in Fallowfield at Hart Road, went through Ardwick and on into Ancoats.  Not sure where it went after that but it was a useful little service.

Jim44

« Reply #16 on: 20:38:48, 07/10/12 »
I remember when the 123 was a trolly bus, it started on Corporation St. to Greenheys via Great Ancoats St; Pin Mill Brow, Chanceller Lane, along Higher Ardwick through the roundabout and up Brunswick St where it turned left on Oxford Rd past the university then it turned right. But can't remember the route there after. We used to catch it to Platt Fields park.
 The problem now is that all the services seem to terminate in town, so it means changing buses.

Wytchfynder

« Reply #17 on: 15:03:09, 11/10/12 »
Trying to remember when those 'new' double door buses came out?. The new ones where the driver also took the money and tickets etc.

Syntax Error

« Reply #18 on: 23:09:53, 04/04/21 »
Many memories.

I remember deregulation; it was horrendous. Grew up in the Whalley Range/ Old Trafford border areas and remember the 81, 82 and 84 running along Upper Chorlton Road. The 81 and 84 disappeared and were replaced by circular 46 and 47 services operating in South Manchester.  The 82 was reduced to coming to and from Chorlton in rush hour only and was effectively replaced by the new bus 86 which ran from Stepping Hill Hospital to Chorlton and onto Piccadilly.  The drivers were obviously from Stockport and did not have a clue where to go in Hulme particularly when they got to Bonsall Street.

Deregulation was chaotic and thank goodness Andy Burnham is going to reverse it.

Syntax Error

« Reply #19 on: 23:30:36, 04/04/21 »

Well as a schoolboy myself growing up in the 1970's, I remember the 82 bus although I don't recall the turnaround points, and the 81 already mentioned which ran from Chorlton bus station to Crumpsall Green.  Also the 62 and 63 which ran from Bury Old Road near Heaton Park and down Cheetham Hill Road into Manchester along Corporation Street.  I can't remember exactly where they went from here, but I'm sure the 75 bus took pretty much the same route until the city centre and then went onto Fallowfield.

I even recall catching the 35 which went to Bury, and the boarding point was on Cannon Street - which is now Cateaton Street / Exchange Square.

My early childhood was spent growing up just off Withington Rd.  The 62/63 were the local buses down Withington Rd, alongside the 186.
They ran from Heaton Park to the city centre, then onto Chorltonville and Ryebank Road respectively.

They were later superseded by buses 131 - 134 during a big reorganisation of bus services inn1979.