Author Topic: Old Shops  (Read 9376 times)

Michael1

Old Shops
« on: 19:34:55, 01/11/12 »
Hey I am new to this but picked up on a thread about Derber's shoe shop on Market Street. I loved that shop. Bought a pair of blue Kios in 1979ish. The girl who sold them to me had really dark hair and wore a racing green jumper. I also used to work at Woolworth's and it's amazing just what you remember and maybe forget. I love Manchester.  O0

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Old Shops
« Reply #1 on: 19:45:00, 01/11/12 »
Hi Michael and welcome to the forum,

Weren't Derbers shoes Italian? 

When did you work at Woolworths?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Michael1

« Reply #2 on: 19:51:09, 01/11/12 »
Hello, I remember the girl who sold me the shoes had very dark hair and maybe was Italian. I don't know but thinking about it she may very well have been ::) . I worked at Woolworth's initially as a 'Saturday job' type of thing but carried on for a few years. It was between 1982 - 1985. I worked on the first floor, up the escalator. It's weird just how you remember things.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 19:53:17, 01/11/12 »
Were you at Woolworths at the time of the fire, there is a whole thread on here about it and it's even mentioned on other threads - cheethamgirl was there at the time

Michael1

« Reply #4 on: 19:56:11, 01/11/12 »
No, the fire was in 1979 but most of the staff were still working there when I joined. I was one of only a few who would go up to floors 4/5. Are you an administrator on this forum or just a 'user'? It's very interesting.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 19:57:39, 01/11/12 »
I'm the moderator, Chris is the admin, is this the first time you've viewed the forum or have you been looking for a while?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 20:14:53, 01/11/12 »
I always get them mixed up.

Maybe someone will come on and give us some information about Derbers, if it is Italian then it may still be
doing business there, I know a few on here who would remember the shop ;) 

Michael1

« Reply #7 on: 20:21:14, 01/11/12 »
I'd like to know more about Derber's if anybody knows anything. I also have a friend who works as a tailor next door to Mr. Thomas's. I haven't seen him for a while but his shop is amazing. You have to walk up a million stairs but it's worth the effort. Loads of photos of 'stars' who he's designed, made or altered for. I often think I'd like to retire in Manchester centre but we'll see. Bit of a way to go yet......... :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 20:23:57, 01/11/12 »
Is that Tom's Chop House and James the Tailors?

Tony Dixon on here may be able to find something, perhaps an image of Derbers
« Last Edit: 20:31:00, 01/11/12 by celeste »

Michael1

« Reply #9 on: 20:41:06, 01/11/12 »
Sorry for delay, it threw me out. Yes, that's the shop I was on about. My friend is the son but he's not really my friend, we just chat along whenever I visit.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 20:42:50, 01/11/12 »
I've been trying to find the old Manchester images site which Tony put on, I'll keep trying though I should have saved it

Michael1

« Reply #11 on: 20:48:00, 01/11/12 »
OK thanks. I am going to bed quite soon but I enjoyed tonight. Have a good evening. I just checked my watch and it's not even 21-00pm yet. [censored].

Michael1

« Reply #13 on: 21:12:08, 01/11/12 »
That's brilliant. I just saw a photo of the underground market. I once bought a 'deerstalker' leather jacket from there. There was also a shop that sold trainers. I remember the owner and am sure he had curly hair. I think they had a unit on top of the underground but cannot remember. Thanks.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 21:13:42, 01/11/12 »
Glad I can help :)