Author Topic: does anyone remember genevieves in longsight and if so what was it called later  (Read 22303 times)

joan andrews

Thanks for that really appreciate your help  :)

Kadgill

I remember when you walked in to geneveives your feet stuck to the carpet many a great night

maggi

It was the Rink in the 60s, the Oceans 11, Genevieves, and the International, after that dont have a clue, used to go to Oceans 11, some good nights, good bands,  was only 16!

lulu

We used to go to a club in Longsight in the 70's where you got a baked spud and sausage and beans as part of the entrance fee. Was that the International?

maggi

the International

maggi

In the early 70s it was called Oceans 11, then Genevieves, after that, (I didn't go)  called the International

lulu

AH OK!! Wasn't sure that was the place I remembered, but I guess it was….used to go there several nights a week, during 1973 I think..., one of my mates used to dance using lots of Tai Ch'i moves, he used to stand out from the crowd somewhat….

maggi

Oh gosh..  that made me laugh, the tai chi moves, there were many that did that,

I used to go in the early 70s, to Oceans 11 & Genevieves, I never went when it became the International.

Had some fab times there, saw some good bands & comics,

but had to laugh again, at someone's comment of your shoes sticking to the floor!!!

Saw Freddie Starr there before he became famous,

Did anyone go there, when it was the youth club.....THE RINK??

Happy days

Alfie

It was called The Sting...later becoming The International.....There is a Longsight page on Facebook called Longsight Memeories of our Childhood if anyone wants to look through loads of old photos.....may find someone you know.

Alfie

Oh gosh..  that made me laugh, the tai chi moves, there were many that did that,

I used to go in the early 70s, to Oceans 11 & Genevieves, I never went when it became the International.

Had some fab times there, saw some good bands & comics,

but had to laugh again, at someone's comment of your shoes sticking to the floor!!!

Saw Freddie Starr there before he became famous,

Did anyone go there, when it was the youth club.....THE RINK??

Happy days

I have some old photos of the rink and the sting nightclub on Facebook under Longsight memories of our childhood is full of photos....

maggi

thanks I will take a look

Ronnie Hall

Yes Genevieves Longsight was then called Oceans Eleven, me & my m8s used to go there on saturday nights, errie seeing this post as I had just been talking about a girl i met there around 1973-4, had many a good saturday night there, then we started going in to Manchester

Parky

Possibly the international? May have had another name later

ExileSteve

I'm fairly sure you're right, Parky. The International sounds right.

davo

I only remeber it as Oceans11. Used to go there when the pubs had closed. At the time Manchester had a Police Commissioner named James Anderton (a bit of a strange bloke who had it in for anybody who likes to enjoy themselves after 11pm. He brought in a law that any club serving after 11pm had to serve food. Therefore when you bought your ticket at the door you got a paper plate of stone cold food to take in with you so you were within the law. It comprised of soggy chips, some kind of greasy burger and rock hard garden peas and no knife and fork. It was truly crap and the beer was even worse. Good laugh though.