Author Topic: Arctic Crossings in WW 2  (Read 858 times)

Angie

Arctic Crossings in WW 2
« on: 13:34:30, 17/11/12 »
My grandad came over to liverpool from Southern Ireland at 17, he met my mums mum either in Liverpool when she was visiting there or in Manchester.
He was in the merchant navy during the second world war and was on the arctic crossings, he had seen alot in his life already but he would never talk about what he saw over in Russia or the convoys as it affected him badly so we have no history or accounts of these crossings, and sadly the atlantic crossings are more well known

If anyone has any recollections or any information of the arctic crossings I would love to hear about them.

I am looking through google for any info but not finding alot right now

Thank you

Chipsandgravy

Re: Arctic Crossings in WW 2
« Reply #1 on: 16:48:48, 17/11/12 »
Hi there
Sounds like your Grandad had a pretty tough time!
As a starting point you may want to look at the Imperial War Museum North website, there are several photos on there relating to the convoys, could also suggest a visit to the maritime museum in Liverpool (it's really good)
Good luck with your research!

Angie

Re: Arctic Crossings in WW 2
« Reply #2 on: 16:56:46, 17/11/12 »
Thank you, yes he did have a tough time of it, he was one of 13 children and they were a poor family hence why he came over here at 17, it is some of the things he saw in russia it really did turn his stomach and he had a stomach of steal, he was a wonderful person even if an old grouch bless him
He remembered 1922 in Ireland and the black and tans etc and more.

Will look where you suggested am over in Yorkshire now so a visit to liverpool would be a while away but will have a look online