Author Topic: Tripe Colony  (Read 23698 times)

Parky

Re: Tripe Colony
« Reply #30 on: 18:11:07, 24/02/17 »
These houses were made of Accrington brick and were excellent family homes ,most if not all were modernised in the late seventies early eighties.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #31 on: 18:31:02, 24/02/17 »

Yes they were modernised in78/79 I worked on them

puggy

« Reply #32 on: 11:24:46, 26/02/17 »
Impressive Manx

Manx

« Reply #33 on: 17:02:12, 26/02/17 »
A slight adjustment - although the total house count shown was correct, some anomalies existed with street 'corner' houses. For example Dreyfus Street and Kersley Street which both ran from Hulme hall Lane had entrance doorways to those streets yet the plan view appeared similar to adjoining property. Kersley Street had maybe about six houses? while Dreyfus Street probably had none?

(from 1945 bomb maps)

https://s24.postimg.org/knl5peprp/Image4.jpg

puggy

« Reply #34 on: 11:15:10, 27/02/17 »
Very useful link/map Manx. My main interest is in Hanbury Street. Would the houses be numbered from Clifton Street or Lord Street ?

Manx

« Reply #35 on: 23:09:33, 27/02/17 »
Hi puggy, I wasn't a tripe colony resident so I really don't know.

Usually parallel side streets would follow the direction with the main road numbers - Hulme Hall Lane numbers began at Oldham Road increasing towards the Bradford Road gasholder.

puggy

« Reply #36 on: 12:06:22, 05/03/17 »
Thanks Manx. I'll assume on that basis that the numbering is from Lord Street being closest to Oldham Road

puggy

« Reply #37 on: 12:49:41, 06/03/17 »
Using a combination of 1911 Census, the 1945 bomb map and a street directory (1914)
I've managed to number the houses. As you mentioned some corner houses were tricky to
indentify. The useful thing about the street directory was the insertion of "here is Kersley Street"; "here is Falmouth Street" etc. Thanks again Manx :)

Sharon

« Reply #38 on: 04:56:33, 08/04/17 »
This is very interesting, thank you. I was born at 59 Hanbury Street in 1965. My mum was born there also. I would love to find photos.

Sharon

« Reply #39 on: 04:59:17, 08/04/17 »
I just saw you mention Kersley Street and I remember my Auntie lived there & it seemed it was right across the road.
« Last Edit: 05:17:43, 08/04/17 by Sharon »

puggy

« Reply #40 on: 10:56:08, 08/04/17 »

Sharon, have you looked on the Manchester Images website?

Sharon

« Reply #41 on: 19:23:32, 14/04/17 »
Sharon, have you looked on the Manchester Images website?

Thank you Puggy, I will search for that site. I have photos from outside our house. I have very vague memories and the map on here really helped me understand why although I was on Hanbury Street & my auntie was on Kersley Street, she was just across the road. I wish I had memories of the set up of the street. I remember walking with my mum or auntie to the candy store. I don't remember what the inside of the house looked like or if there was a garden. My family was at this house for many years & I was born there, but moved to Canada when I was 4. I am so drawn to clarifying my memories of the area and how the community related to each other. For some reason I feel "home sick" but I can't even travel to visit because the houses and streets are torn down. How do I even find people who may have lived on the street at this time?
My name was "Garvey". My auntie & uncle were "Scriven".

puggy

« Reply #42 on: 17:13:20, 17/04/17 »

Sharon, go to: 'Britain From Above' site and type Miles Platting into the search box, then explore the images. You can zoom in but will have to subscribe(free) in order to do that.

viv slater

« Reply #43 on: 21:30:14, 12/06/17 »
Hi Sharon Ive just stumble across this forum and seen the thread.  I was born and brought up til I was 11 years old on tripe colony in miles platting and remember Alice Scriven really well...we used to call her auntie Alice.  She was really good friend with my nan - renee (Irene) counsel.  I remember she had a son called David , who married a lady called Jean who had 2 children Lisa and Paul.  I think they still live in Newton Heath and I think my sister is friends with Lisa on facebook! Xx

viv slater

« Reply #44 on: 21:38:54, 12/06/17 »

Hi Stewart, I dont know whether you remember me or not but I remember you.  I used to be called vivien Counsel (maiden name) and my dad was bob counsel who took over Hetty fancy goods shop on Hanbury St.  My nan and grandad lived in Joynson st.  I think we were in the same class at st Lukes!  Reading your post brought back lovely memories!! thanks for sharing! Xx

My name is Stewart Campbell, I was born at 44 Corelli Street in 1967 and lived there for many happy years until the compulsory purchase order in the 1990s. I have very fond memories of playing in the grounds of Leacroft School,which was directly opposite our house. I attended St Luke's Primary School on Hulme Hall Lane. I remember the shops on Hulme Hall Lane too, Malcolm's butchers, Chemist shop, hardware shop and barber's. There was also the cake shop. We used to play in Phillips park and on Mather and Platt's football and cricket pitches. It was a wonderful place to grow up. :)