Author Topic: Rusholme in the 60s  (Read 87305 times)

debussy

Re: Rusholme in the 60s
« Reply #195 on: 21:26:02, 23/05/15 »
Hi All
Not sure if there's any significance to this dome shaped building.I've never heard of any special mention of this building all the years of my life I lived in Rusholme.Maybe it was just the architect design at the time.

debussy

« Reply #196 on: 23:17:18, 06/06/15 »
Over the years lots of buildings have been demolished in Rusholme.
I was recently thinking of the buildings that are left which ones should have a preservation order on them.
The fabulous interiors of the shops on Wilmslow Rd have all gone.
So what is left?
Top of my list is Holy Trinity Church on Platt Lane.I also think the flats on the corner of Wilmslow Rd and Platt Lane exterior should be preserved.I also think the high rise flats on wilmslow road facing Platt Lane are a more modern example of buildings that should be preserved.
Platt Fields should remain a fully open QUIET space with limited buildings and fun fairs there.
The Mosque at the back of Eileen Grove is a horrible building that should be demolished immediately.All those houses that were there before the Mosque and the housing estate should have been preserved, they would have enhanced the area now.
The small pub on Wilmslow Rd would be a great contender,I've just forgotten what it's called near the now gone Trocadero.
The Troc!!! Now that would have been a great listed building part of Rusholme history.

Ginga

« Reply #197 on: 14:08:53, 21/07/15 »
Ive been offline for a while, but what interesting reading this thread was. Having been born and raised on Heald Place in the 60's, and attended Heald Place primary until 11yo. Very interesting thread, some familiar surnames mentioned too (Cobbledick, Comer, Brett).  I was christened at Holy Trinity church on Platt Lane, attended the CLB there for a short while. Anyhow... thanks for the read. :)

jayceedove

« Reply #198 on: 14:44:28, 11/08/15 »
Thanks for the photo earlier of Levett's newsagents on Dickenson Road. I never expected to see that. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread I delivered newspapers from there for years in the 60s. She was a lovely lady, Mrs Levett. I used to cycle there from home on Horton Road twice a day, seven days a week - whatever the weather - for peanuts (I think I ended on 10 shillings in around 1968).  I suspect few youngsters today would do that for years and there would probably be an outcry over their civil rights if it was suggested. But it was what you did for pocket money to pay your own way. I loved it and only gave up when I had O levels to do.

jayceedove

« Reply #199 on: 15:03:38, 11/08/15 »
I have some photos from Rusholme taken by my family in the 1960s but do not know how to post these on here as a message keeps coming up when I try saying the file size is too big. Anyone know how to make it small enough to post?

migky

« Reply #200 on: 15:41:04, 11/08/15 »
Hi jayceedove, you can either resize your photos in what ever photo editing programe you have on your computer or use an imaging hosting site that will let you resize the images.

Just google "image hosting site" and you'll get a long list or failing that, email me them and i'll do it for you. I'll sent you a message with my address.

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

debussy

« Reply #201 on: 00:15:04, 16/08/15 »
Hope you can get those photos on would really like like t o see them.

Rusholme Grove

« Reply #202 on: 14:57:01, 11/10/15 »
Hi! New to the forum so please bear with me! I have been fascinated by all the posts on here. I grew up in Rusholme Grove in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I remember a lot of the shops that have been mentioned. Hames', Ganns, Levitts, etc. Does anyone remember these?....Breeze's the chemist, Sharples, Blands, (on the corner of Rusholme Grove), Wilkinsons the statoners which was a double fronted shop. We used to buy felt tipped pens from there and notepads! There are so many to mention! The chippy on Dickenson Road sold THE best chips. I remember as a small child being given a chip in the little see through packet to eat while we waited. My mum and I were talking yesterday and couldn't remember the name of another chemist which was further down Wilmslow Road, near where the DSS offices used to be I think. I seem to recall it as Moccrats? Something like that?

manChester46

« Reply #203 on: 20:07:57, 13/01/16 »
I'm not sure if this was the address that my friend Christine Harrington lived at but the address sounds familiar, maybe you can help. I remember Christine married a guy in the RAF circa 1967
GeoffW

maggi

« Reply #204 on: 08:51:53, 14/01/16 »
Love this forum

GINGA.......

...you mentioned surnames I knew when I was growing up....
Brett....Paul Brett lived on Heald Place, in the maissonettes,
I went to school with him,
Comer ...my brothers mate
Cobbledick ...Mike  he is on the Rusholme forum

Keep the memories coming

hazelhowe

« Reply #205 on: 21:11:16, 27/02/16 »
I remember the Pop In on Platt lane, now a supermarket?  danced around my handbag many times.  only sold soft drinks.

maggi

« Reply #206 on: 21:14:44, 27/02/16 »
Great memories H

carvil52

« Reply #207 on: 08:21:12, 28/02/16 »
I also have great memories of the Pop Inn, progressed to Browns Levenshulme, really happy days.

Pugman

« Reply #208 on: 19:18:24, 01/03/16 »
I lived above the Timpson Shoe Shop from approx 1953 to 1962. I went to Heald Place School. Mr Philips was the local hairdresser. My father had an allotment, but unsure where. I used to travel on his push bike. By far my best shop was Highways, where my first airfix model kit was bought for me.

Ginga

« Reply #209 on: 23:05:20, 09/03/16 »
Maggi... Paul Brett  was my cousin.  His mum, Mary,  was my dads sister.  There was also Cyril and Alfie Brett. I've no idea whee they are these days, but I think one or more might have passed away.