Author Topic: Manchester Garages  (Read 15545 times)

JJRio

Re: Manchester Garages
« Reply #15 on: 22:42:11, 29/06/19 »
Wow, I just accidentally came across this thread! My Dad worked for Manchester Garages August 1969... he has worked for Ford for 50 Years this August. Some of the names people have mentioned on here ring a bell to me.

Is anybody still on here?

Biker69

« Reply #16 on: 18:21:58, 22/07/19 »
I worked here too many years ago  I recognise some names mentioned too.

« Last Edit: 18:26:59, 22/07/19 by Biker69 »

allcocksu

« Reply #17 on: 15:54:37, 22/09/19 »
Manchester Garages were still operating at least up to 1985, but have now closed down and been redeveloped into Whitworth Park flats which now stand on their site.
I got my first permanent job post-Uni and needed to buy a car. I went in there hoping to buy a bargain but couldn't afford their prices. One of the salesmen ended up selling me his wife's car as a private sale (he hadn't told his wife about it either!)

AM9000

« Reply #18 on: 22:25:18, 02/01/21 »
Hi there

I worked at Manchester Garages Trucks Division on Gorton Lane 1979-1983. It was a great company to work for, we used to get bonuses every month for selling engines and gear boxes, and we had some great promotion events when we introduced a new vehicle, like the Yak vehicle for instance. If we went in for stock taking the boss used to buy us chippy tea...happy days.
Anyone, remember Tom Hughes, Dave Sedgley, George Mira, Harry Hardacre, Graham Otto, Darren White, Paul Stoodley, John Wallwork, Brian White, Debbie and Paul-service Dept....ha ha ha

Just come across an old photo that has Tom, Dave, George, Harry, Darren & Eric. A photo I took so not in it myself, pity I can’t post it here. I worked there from 1979 to 1988 or there about had some good times

Rapid Rich

« Reply #19 on: 22:31:50, 07/08/21 »
Hi All.

My name is Richard Stoodley.

My Dad is Bob Stoodley ... he is still with us (just)  :-) and was 97 the other day :-)

He is OK but has trouble with his leg.

Diana 'Miss' Lister passed a few years ago.

I worked selling Transits at the Truck Centre after working on the Yak and x4 Sherpas and LDVs.

I remember lots of these names ... Tom Hughes was a great bloke.

Im planning a ride on my bike next year on D-day to retrace my Dads POW route from where he took off at RAF Harwell to Normandy, then South to Rennes then up to Stalag IVB where he was held.    Its 1800 miles.

I remember Colin Lloyd, from Trucks ... It was a great place to work. and Roger Taylor the Parts Director at Oxford Road.

Rich.

The Auction my Dad set up has recently closed after nearly 40 years ... which is sad.

Gr_dan

« Reply #20 on: 15:53:06, 16/11/21 »
My Grandad worked at Manchester Garages, Ken Long, I often went to Belle Vue for the stock car racing with him, I believe they sponsored the events.
I remember when he won the use of a White Capri 3.0s for the month as top salesman and he drove me down the east lancs road at 120mph, happy days.
Ken had fond memories of his years there, he passed in 2007, but was always a Ford man, which is why I’ve had many over the years. 😊

Mthoma33

« Reply #21 on: 19:33:45, 21/10/22 »
I worked at Gorton Lane from 81-86 great days! I could tell a few stories about Richard and Paul Stoodley!! Dave Lomax, Fred Basford, George Mclaughlin were all colleagues. My real reason for posting is a question, does anyone know who administers the companies pension scheme?
Mike ThomasSales Admin Manager, Gorton Lane and then crap salesman for a short while...

Parky

« Reply #22 on: 20:10:55, 21/10/22 »
I remember the gorton lane garage ,I worked on gorton rd just five minutes away ,a lot of industry those days