Author Topic: Anyone remember Whitefield?  (Read 2578 times)

Kevinc

Anyone remember Whitefield?
« on: 11:08:05, 08/05/13 »
Met an old man on holiday recently while abroad- when he heard I was from manchester he mentioned he had lived there during the blitz after coming to the UK on the kinder transport. I pressed him for details of where and he answered -" Oh you won't know it was just next to a large field area called  Whitefields" he could not believe its a built up community- I could not believe its so new!

JONNO

Re: Anyone remember Whitefield?
« Reply #1 on: 08:39:33, 14/05/13 »
Until after WW2 Whitefield and Pilkington was separated from Prestwich and Bury by fields. Housing and shops followed the line of the Manchester/Bury road with a couple of '30's council estates and housing running along the road out of the centre to Radcliffe. Now the whole area is built up linking Unsworth, Hollins and Stand and there is continuous housing from Manchester to Bury and beyond. It was an Urban District council until government reorganisation in the 70's when it became part of Bury. It then lost much of its character and its 18th century town hall was left to rot and was eventually destroyed by fire.

queally15

« Reply #2 on: 17:41:12, 21/08/19 »
I learned to ride at Oak gate riding school on Oak Lane. It was run by Eidress Parry and her mum. I used to ride two horses called Glory and Gainsborough. I then moved to another place in nearby Simister.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 08:56:31, 23/08/19 »
I once got off the Metro tram at Whitefield in the 1990s, all I could see was a bicycle shop and a small shopping mall, I went down the hill to have a look and it looked empty, there didn't seem to be any other shops.

I think James Stannige (sp) lived there :-\
the radio presenter.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

queally15

« Reply #4 on: 09:14:20, 23/08/19 »
Everything has changed. So many boarded up shops. Nearly every town in Manchester had plenty of shops and a weekly market. I still love Manchester, but things will never be the same again  :-[

lozflan

« Reply #5 on: 09:23:07, 23/08/19 »
The best part,just a short walk to Heaton Park. Our kids acquired a posh accent from school there,which was soon lost on coming back to Clayton.The happiest of times were in Whitefield.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Collegiateboy

« Reply #6 on: 12:07:42, 31/08/19 »
i went to the ABC cinema at Whitefield a few times in the 60/70s

queally15

« Reply #7 on: 12:40:08, 31/08/19 »
Actually I never went to the ABC cinema. There were a lot more shops in the 60s/70 s in Whitefield. Not the same place now

elaine wyrill

« Reply #8 on: 12:30:41, 23/12/22 »
Hi   I remember riding my bike down Thatch Leech Lane for a 1/2 hour ride at Eidress's Riding School many years ago in the early 60s. I have often wondered what happened to the stables as I know that area is now all housing. My family emigrated to Australia where I eventually got a horse of my own. I would love to hear any more about the riding school and what happened to Eidress.  Thank you. Would you have any photos?