Author Topic: crumpsall memories  (Read 15188 times)

benice

crumpsall memories
« on: 15:29:05, 15/07/13 »
I grew up 8n higher crumpsall off what was then called Oak rd but I think its now Ash rd in the 1950s . My dad owned a taxi and the doorbell was always ringing by people wanting cabs but if the cab was parked outside the house my dad who worked all hours was usually asleep and didnt take kindly to the callers  my mum used to sit in the parked cab in the summer months with the rolled hald down so she could chat to pSsing neighbours  they'd lean on the window and chat away. I dont think anyone thought it odd. There was a chippy in the next street, in someone' s house in the middle of these tiny terrace. They'd give kids the bits of cooked batter while we waited our turn. I remember playing on the bandstand in Crumpsall Park with my friends, getting the 'parkies' to open our bottles of pop or lemonade and doing rollyy pollies down the slopes. Through the wrought metal railings was the forbidding Victorian buildings of Crumpsall hospital. At the bottom of the street was the allotments by lovers lane which led from Crescent Rd to Woodlands Rd. There was Crumpsall Cream Crackers factory at the bottom of Crescent Rd in the brew, where you'd see the men having smokos in the yard that was stacked with flattened tin biscuit boxes in tight packs glinting in the sun. I left for Melbourne in my tins and so much of what I remember  has gone now. 

julie

Re: crumpsall memories
« Reply #1 on: 06:50:00, 19/07/13 »
i know nothing about crumpsall apart from the dental hospital you need to write a history of the area am sure there would be an interest
fate keeps on happening

Cupcake

« Reply #2 on: 09:34:54, 19/07/13 »
I was born in the forbidding hospital...... but we lived in Openshaw and the place my parents rented was demolished, so we were rehoused out of the area when I was two or three.  I don't remember anything, and even the street where we lived has been renamed so there's no going back for a look. 
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.

julie

« Reply #3 on: 19:26:45, 19/07/13 »
oh and another thing wasn't the hospital once a work house?
fate keeps on happening

Cupcake

« Reply #4 on: 20:30:43, 19/07/13 »
Not when I was born there thanks, Julie  ;D ;D

benice

« Reply #5 on: 01:53:17, 20/07/13 »
Hi Julie and Cupcake. It seems there was a workhouse on the site. It was originally set up as a workhouse in the19th century. When I was young and went to visit my mother in hospital there, I remember a part of the building where there were some heavy iron gates and behind were some elderly women, their dresses were peculiar to this young kid of the swinging 50s!, cotton, hand-made and old-worldy, and they had pudding basin haircuts.  I was told they were remnants from the work house who had nowhere to go, but that doesn't seem right time wise, so I'll never know who they were, unless anyone has any ideas?

Cupcake

« Reply #6 on: 10:14:08, 20/07/13 »
Unless they were born there right at the tail end of the century, making them in their 50s, I suppose?   I know nothing about Crumpsall except that I was born there, as was my middle sister.  I wonder if Migky knows - he knows most things about Manchester history...

Adsum

« Reply #7 on: 13:09:01, 20/07/13 »
I'm back from a short break in North Wales. Have a look a this.    :)

Crumpsall Workhouse & Infirmary - Welcome to the Manchester ...
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Cupcake

« Reply #8 on: 15:22:29, 20/07/13 »
And how very lovely to have you back :smitten: - I knew Crumpsall wasn't cheery, but that's grim indeed!

Adsum

« Reply #9 on: 15:48:12, 20/07/13 »
And how very lovely to have you back :smitten: - I knew Crumpsall wasn't cheery, but that's grim indeed!

Did you see the bit about the poor wretches who lived there including, "248 Lunatics, Imbeciles and Epileptics? This wasn't all that long ago. I remember a few years ago the hospital had an exhibition in the entrance hall. It included a photograph with the caption. "The lunatics and imbeciles enjoying a rare day out"    I remember being shocked when I saw it, because if memory serves me rightly it was a 20th century photograph.  :o

julie

« Reply #10 on: 16:57:26, 20/07/13 »
Thanks adsum lovely bit of history. I used to have epilepsy(triggerd by music and when I found out what hospitals like crumpsall were used for I was frightened to death. I never mixed to much with a lot of people because of my illness because it is still looked upon with askance However a London hospital has cured me but Crumpsall hospital did frighten me somewhat. I imagined being banished from society as a child Thank goodness for the 21st century O0
« Last Edit: 17:00:37, 20/07/13 by julie »
fate keeps on happening

Adsum

« Reply #11 on: 19:28:35, 20/07/13 »
Thanks adsum lovely bit of history. I used to have epilepsy(triggerd by music and when I found out what hospitals like crumpsall were used for I was frightened to death. I never mixed to much with a lot of people because of my illness because it is still looked upon with askance However a London hospital has cured me but Crumpsall hospital did frighten me somewhat. I imagined being banished from society as a child Thank goodness for the 21st century O0

Hi Julie. I'm pleased to hear that you are okay now. I have known a couple of people who had very severe epilepsy. One of them was an uncle of mine who fell off a ladder and broke his back whilst painting his upstairs windows. He was 44 and it was only when he had all the tests to find out why he fell that it was discovered that he had had his first epileptic fit aged 44. Most of the time his condition was controlled by medication after that, and after a period of time he was allowed to drive again. It seems so barbaric to think how society treated people with ailments that were not fully  understood  as recently as the 20th century.

benice

« Reply #12 on: 00:16:50, 21/07/13 »
Did some research and there were quite a number of workhouses set up all over Manchester in that period, the frightening official response to being poor or disadvantaged in any way.  Crumpsall workhouse closed as late as 1930, so those women were likely to have been remnants which makes that scene in my mind all the more sad. But Crumpsall wasn't all bad, it was like a little village that seemed to be on the edge of Manchester probably because our streets were surrounded by open tracts of disused farmland and it still seemed rural, but really it wasn't that far from the city centre. As it was post-war, there was an air of optimism, that things would be different. We kids were free to wander all over the show and  congregated in the streets playing street games like 'farmer farmer may I cross your golden river', or swinging from the Victorian lamp posts until it got dark; and one by one, mothers would come to the door and call each child in for the night. We had an insurance man who came by bike; he sold door to door, wearing bicycle clips on his trousers and a long gaberdine  coat, standing there making entries into a little black book. Who could have forecast the internet and shopping on line? A rag and bone man would give goldfish for 'rags' and he and his horse and cart would travel down the cobbled back alley ways or 'entries'. Dandelion and Burdock was delivered in stone bottles and coal was dumped in our backyard. It wasn't so long ago but so pre-technology, and very human. 

julie

« Reply #13 on: 03:47:55, 21/07/13 »
well i am from bury and exactley the same scene played itself out there O0
fate keeps on happening

benice

« Reply #14 on: 04:13:15, 21/07/13 »
Thanks Julie, Yeh, that's what I find so exciting that we all had that, and its really special having lived in Aus. for so long and knowing when I visit, that all is changed ::) . I know Bury so well, the last time I saw it was about ten years ago and it was snowing and amazing!