Author Topic: crumpsall memories  (Read 15128 times)

JillR

Re: crumpsall memories
« Reply #15 on: 21:05:44, 21/07/13 »
You could have been describing life in Higher Openshaw in the 1950s. Same games, same ragbone men... We went one better though - a man with a horse and flat cart used to come down the back entry at the weekends selling fresh produce from the market gardens in Ashton Moss. He had a cry to tell people he was there, and I never managed to figure out exactly what he was saying.

dougle

« Reply #16 on: 11:30:43, 30/07/13 »
 :)  I remember Crumpsall well mainly because I trained as a Mental Nurse (now called Psychiatric) at Springfield Hospital in the early sixties. Care was compassionate but general understanding of mental health was extremely poor. The General Hospital, Crumpsall, was in the same grounds and as students we were obliged to surgery as part of our training. What I remember seeing in theatre was nothing short of brutal and was in a state of shock for months after seeing one gruesome operation and listening to callous and indifferent remarks made by the surgeon. Springfield was divided into male and female, and I remember there only being three staff on a ward of 100 males. It was the sixties` Dark Ages.
John Mackenzie

les1936

« Reply #17 on: 22:46:25, 31/07/13 »
I knew Crumpsall Park well in the 50s  We used to live in Shirley Road and walked over the very rough fields   ( long since built on)  past the Woodlands Hotel and down the lovers lane from Woodlands Road under the railway bridge up to Crescent Road and then along Oak Street.
Later my parents moved to Moss Bank.  My mother liked walking and when I used to visit  we often went for walks in the evening  sometimes down Oak / Delaunays/ Cleveland(? ) up to ICI Blackley or B H  Clough  or along Crumpsall Lane/ Wilton Road to the Belmont  or down Seymour Road to C H Road
I remember the chippy Benice mentions  coincidentally my wife and I were going down memory lane  the other day trying to remember whether there were any fish and chip shops around in the 50s and this is the only one I could recall.  She was brought up in Gorton and couldn't remember any.  Does anybody know when they became common? O r have we just forgotten?
This led us on to trying to remember  the first Chinese restaurants in the city centre   There was Man Fang in Market St /Piccadilly and I think there was also one near Albert Square.
Then it was on to coffee bars  a 60s thing I think. ( not counting Kardomahs and such which were daytime cafes) On one of our first dates we went to the Mokarlo ? in Albert Square

JillR

« Reply #18 on: 19:15:21, 01/08/13 »
There was one called the Mogambo, and another one which was considered pretty cool but whose name I have forgotten. I think it was near Piccadilly.

terrygirl

« Reply #19 on: 20:45:05, 05/08/13 »
I was born in Crumpsall hospital, like most people in North Manchester.
But lived in Blackley Village not far from the hospital. Their was Boggart Hole Clough, ICI, Connolly's Cables, Crown wallpaper. Just a few I can remember. Totally different now just the Cable work their now. I remember Springfield hospital, did it close in the 80s.
Booth Hall children's hospital closed some years back. It has now been flattened.

Adsum

« Reply #20 on: 21:20:15, 05/08/13 »
I remember the chippy Benice mentions  coincidentally my wife and I were going down memory lane  the other day trying to remember whether there were any fish and chip shops around in the 50s and this is the only one I could recall.  She was brought up in Gorton and couldn't remember any.  Does anybody know when they became common? O r have we just forgotten?

I was born in Droylsden and there was a chippy on Edge lane where I lived which had one tiny table and two benches inside. In the school holidays a treat for us kids was to dine out in this chippy. We could get pie and chips and a small bottle of pop for a shilling. 5 old pence. This would have been in the very early 50s  We also could buy a pennyworth of scratchings, the residue fried batter off the fish. Yet I don't remember seeing many fat kids around in those days.  :)
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

JillR

« Reply #21 on: 16:17:48, 06/08/13 »
There was a chippy on Ashton Old Road near Mersey Street. It also had a dining-in bit at the back, which seemed very exotic to me then!
Also there was another on Fairfield Road opposite Edge Lane, not sure if this is the one Adsum mentions. It was run by the Smiths, and I remember Jennifer Smith who I think went to the same school or maybe Sunday School as me.

Adsum

« Reply #22 on: 17:21:56, 06/08/13 »
My chippy was on Edge lane, halfway down on the left hand side between Ashton New Rd. and North Rd. It was called Crawfords.  :) I remember the one on Fairfield Rd/Edge lane junction, but I never went in there.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

LAgal

« Reply #23 on: 03:26:30, 09/08/13 »
I also was born in Crumpsall Hospital, in 1935.  I lived in Hightown, Cheetham Hill, Crumpsall and Salford and other places, before emigrating to the U.S. in 1951.  In those years we had "chip shops" but not "fish and chip" shops.  In the Jewish areas the chip shops were more like delicatessans.  You could get chips and pickled meat (corned beef) or chips and saveloys (hot dogs) wrapped in newspaper. (My mouth is watering!)  Some of their names were Lapidus's and Titanic's.  I can't remember any other names but there were lots of them. :D

John Elam

« Reply #24 on: 16:09:26, 15/02/17 »
Springfield Hospital

This was on the same site as Crumpsall General Hospital and a Maternity Hospital. I remember it well as a very grim place dating back to 1855 as a work house. My father started working there from around 1953 until his retirement in 1983 first as Catering Officer then finishing as a Group Catering Officer for a number of other Hospitals  around the area including I believe Beech Mount Maternity, Ancoats , Swinton, and  others.

Springfield was a dismal place existing for mental patients with padded cells and locked wards for some patients. Whilst a student at school I  had a couple of holiday jobs working in the hospital records office around 1962.  I remember being appalled that some patients had been  committed there for forty sometimes  fifty or  more years for such reasons as having an illegitimate baby as a teenager or being a bit slow witted. They had become totally institutionalised and incapable of existence  outside.

Some patients had been lobotomised and became automatons lacking any personality and used for  simple work like cleaning. Electro Convulsive Therapy was also used to treat mental problems.
Many patients spent there time aimlessly wandering around the site. I am not sure that there was any occupational therapy.

My own grand mother had a spell in there at the age  of 70 as a voluntary patient suffering from severe depression. She was subjected to this  Electro Convulsive Therapy which would appear to be extremely brutal these days. In her case it worked and she went on to live a reasonably normal life to the age of  96. I suppose that these days drugs can achieve the same results.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #25 on: 17:39:23, 27/03/17 »
We used to call the footpath from Woodlands Road and Crescent Road "Pegs Arch", don't know why

MagicMyrddin

« Reply #26 on: 18:43:23, 17/06/21 »
Hey @Les1936! Are you still active on here? I need some information on the 'Man Fang' Restaurant if you ever went? Please reply back!

I knew Crumpsall Park well in the 50s  We used to live in Shirley Road and walked over the very rough fields   ( long since built on)  past the Woodlands Hotel and down the lovers lane from Woodlands Road under the railway bridge up to Crescent Road and then along Oak Street.
Later my parents moved to Moss Bank.  My mother liked walking and when I used to visit  we often went for walks in the evening  sometimes down Oak / Delaunays/ Cleveland(? ) up to ICI Blackley or B H  Clough  or along Crumpsall Lane/ Wilton Road to the Belmont  or down Seymour Road to C H Road
This led us on to trying to remember  the first Chinese restaurants in the city centre   There was Man Fang in Market St /Piccadilly and I think there was also one near Albert Square.
Then it was on to coffee bars  a 60s thing I think. ( not counting Kardomahs and such which were daytime cafes) On one of our first dates we went to the Mokarlo ? in Albert Square

les1936

« Reply #27 on: 13:07:02, 27/06/21 »
[size=0px]Hey @Les1936! Are you still active on here? I need some information on the 'Man Fang' Restaurant if you ever went? Please reply back![/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]Hi.   I am still around and check into the site from time to time.[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]Unfortunately I can't help you with any info.    It's over 50 years since I left Manchester, and  I only visited the Man Fang a couple of times.[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]I just remember it being opposite Piccadilly Gardens, and I think upstairs, but even that is not certain[/size]
[size=0px]
[/size]
[size=0px]Regards[/size]