Author Topic: Buying a house, Whats edgeley, stockport like?  (Read 6555 times)

louise3uk

Buying a house, Whats edgeley, stockport like?
« on: 16:23:10, 28/07/13 »
Hi

Im thinking of buying a house in stockport in the edgeley cheadle hulme area.
Just looking for peoples opionions please

Any streets to definately avoid?

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Buying a house, Whats edgeley, stockport like?
« Reply #1 on: 16:53:48, 28/07/13 »
Welcome to the forum, I don't know much about the areas you mention but someone who does may come on to help you O0
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Ginga

« Reply #2 on: 20:29:03, 31/07/13 »
I'd prefer Cheadle Hulme to Edgeley, but you get a lot less house for your money.   Im certain both have there good and bad parts, but in terms of housing... CH is more expensive generally. There is a few mile between both areas too.   Both have decent rail links into the City.

kangaroo

« Reply #3 on: 10:58:24, 06/08/13 »
I know the area quite well having grown up near there, worked near there, and have family who lived there and still do. Edgeley isn't the most affluent part of Stockport and your opinion on it is going to depend upon where you come from and what your expectations are.

To me, having spent most of my life in Stockport, I don't find it too bad and I'd like living so close to the centre of Stockport and having good public transport (Edgeley is well served by buses and you could easily walk into Stockport town centre too). Stockport itself is well served by trains (virtually all of the southbound trains from Manchester stop at Stockport).

Of the areas around you, Adswood has a bit of a reputation (perhaps unfounded) but Cheadle and Bramhall are the posher side of Stockport. If you're not bothered about living specifically in Edgeley that are other parts of Stockport/Tameside where you can still get value for money but a more "villagey" setting, if that appeals to you.

Cupcake

« Reply #4 on: 12:13:38, 06/08/13 »
Best bet, as always, is to talk to the local estate/rental agents.  Bear in mind they work on commission, so they want to sell specific things, but they are the people who know the communities. 

The other sensible thing is spend time in an area before you buy.  Renting for a while keeps your options open and lets you get a proper feel for the market.  If you've made a mistake, four week's notice gets you out of there.  Priceless!   O0
It's nice to be important, but it's also important to be nice.