Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133638 times)

Zyggy

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #255 on: 20:23:33, 17/08/21 »
Zip Nolan...a blast from the past! I was in your class along with Bernie Athey; Steve Turner aka Ernie; Phil ,Lowe; Martin Owen; Janek ⁰ Zuraawski aka Zal, etc
Zyg Turek

Sunbeam

« Reply #256 on: 17:31:31, 09/09/21 »
Hi. I was at Central between 1965 and 1970. I was no academic ( too busy messing about) but I have fond memories of the old Kirky Lane site. In 1H and 2H (Charlie Hale) we were situated in the annex. Later when it became Central High School 3C, 4C 5C, L6R for 3 weeks then got a job! Teachers I remember Salmons (English I think)! Hale (French), Boris Eckersly (History), Sammy Ions ( Geography / PE) Nosser Bland (History) Curly Bill Laws (Maths, I think), Budgie Pedley, he had a furry ruff on his gown Biology. Diggle (music), Harry Caldbeck metalwork, followed by Bill Brown. Joe Pedler woodwork. There were 2 PE teachers, I can’t remember both their names but everyone knew the Ginger one with a straggly beard as Gillette! Headmaster was De La Pirelle and deputy was Johnnie Hopley who was very handy with his swishy cane, especially if you were late as a lot of us, who hailed from Wythenshawe, frequently were! There are undoubtedly many more which will possibly come to me later, I made some great friends there but haven’t seen any of them for years. Robert Plant.

madmurdoch43

« Reply #257 on: 06:15:30, 12/09/21 »
Hi from the Antipodes,
Just found this site and thought it would be great to see if there are any others than I spent time with?Was a pupil between 1954 and 1961. My first Form Master Mr Rourke and my last Mr Stewart (6A Arts). I remember well the Headmaster Prof De la Perrelle, Deputy Mr Bowcott ( I got a taste of his size 13 gymshoe - only once). So many memories that played a major role in my development. Was really engaged with the CCF until left and came to NZ with my Mum and Dad.It would be great to contact somebody from that time - so many memories to share

Alan J

« Reply #258 on: 17:55:42, 08/10/21 »
This is a message for Madmurdoch43,

Hello, and welcome to the Site.  I was reading through your message with interest.  I too was in the School CCF when Dave Westwell was C.S.M. and I recall a Corporal matching your details.  Did you have red hair and did your uniform have a white lanyard and badge for qualifying in Motor Transport?  You may have known Bill Chill who was a bit of a character.  The Cadet I recall did leave to School to emigrate with his family to New Zealand.

Alan J

Peter L

« Reply #259 on: 01:41:46, 08/01/22 »
Reply to Spicer. (12/2/2021) The class photos at Pink Bank Lane are of the “C” form. I know as I was there from 1957-1C to 1962-5C. 1963 I and others went into the 6th form. So both pictures are pre-1963. Mr Thomas was one of the form masters I don’t remember the name of the other. A few years ago I could have gone down the rows and named all the students. Some names I remember - Jack Lindsey, who I sat next to for 5 years because of our names. Jack Brandeis, John Nixon, Bryan Malloy, David Rimmer, Arnold Goodwin, Ian Baguley, Ian Fenner, John Doyle, Sammy Semp, Colin Brew, Graeme Brooke, Bryan Chappell, Jack ? Hargreaves, ? Wilson, ? Whitlow, ? Hartley.
Peter Lowry

Peter L

« Reply #260 on: 01:49:47, 08/01/22 »
One more for the C group Geoff Calvert

Franco

« Reply #261 on: 14:54:22, 17/02/22 »
Derek Francis 1961-69.  Last Whitworth St intake.

Form teacher Ronnie Ryder - maths and geography.

Also Messrs Hale, Thomas, Pope, Eckersley, Millington and a horrible woodwork teacher, Powell,  who should never have been near a school.

Thanks for all your posts.

More to follow if anyone interested.....

Franco

« Reply #262 on: 13:22:16, 18/02/22 »
Incidentally I have some form photos that some may find interesting but I'm afraid I can't reduce them to the 150kb max. upload limit.  Anyone any ideas?

Jim Macleod

« Reply #263 on: 15:44:16, 06/03/22 »
Hi,
    I started my teaching career at Central High for Boys in 1980. Some of the names mentioned were still teaching there.I taught French and German.I could tell some stories. Two years later in 1982 under reorganisation I was offered a post at Shena Simon Sixth form  college on Whitworth Street.

yarg100

« Reply #264 on: 12:34:45, 14/03/22 »
Hi,
    I started my teaching career at Central High for Boys in 1980. Some of the names mentioned were still teaching there.I taught French and German.I could tell some stories. Two years later in 1982 under reorganisation I was offered a post at Shena Simon Sixth form  college on Whitworth Street.

I remember you Jim, you was the teacher who came away with us when we went to France, other teacher Ralph Moses, must have been in the summer of 81. I think it was Dieppe where we stayed. Ive looked for the place a few times on google maps but unable to locate it. remember a trip up the Eiffel Tower and going to see the Bayeux Tapestry and every night in the pub from what i remember. There were a few other places we visited but cant remember where, would be great to know if you remember. Great days and fond memories of that trip, couldn't have asked for better teachers to go with.

madmurdoch43

« Reply #265 on: 10:08:16, 02/04/22 »
Hi All,
I've been absent from this site for a while and I'd like to re-establish the links made when first posting?

hatton

« Reply #266 on: 15:45:49, 22/04/22 »
I attended Manchester Central Grammar School from 1956 to 1962 where I was in the "B"  Stream up to and including the 5th Form. The first year was at the old building on Whitworth Street then we moved into the new but not completed building on Pink Bank Lane. Having read the postings I can certainly relate to some of the masters mentioned. De la Perrelle was indeed a gentle person whereas some of his teaching staff were not only poor teachers in retrospect but also sadists to boot. In no particular order "Froggy"  Wilkinson was unfortunately my form master at some time and, if I recall correctly, taught latin where his phrase of "..hands on the block, 90 degrees" preceded a beating with his old  and decidedly smelly gym shoe which he called "Hermes" for some reason or was that Rorke the music teacher? I  I recall  "Piggy" Steward, who always wore Harris Tweed suits no doubt to claim some allegiance to a Scottish Clan, taught Economics and Latin and was also a real b.....d" in my book. Caldbeck has been mentioned in various posts. I never got on his bad side but my schoolmate, Ian "Woodie" Woodier, had a real bad time with him. I had a laugh when reading about Winterbottom who one couldn't help but like especially his War stories. He was always immaculately turned out in his army uniform on Cadet Day.  One of my favourite teachers was Eckersley who taught history and did the annual walking trip to The Lakes. Two maths teachers with differing styles and personalities were Acton, who I thought was a useless teacher, and Johnny Hopkirk or was it Hopkins who made maths fun even though I was perhaps one of his worse pupils. Despite some dire times, and there were a few, I look back with fondness on my days at MCGS and particularly the friendships with people like Andy Irvine, Harry Kay, Ian Briscoe, Stuart Booth, "Taffy" Williams, Chas Peake, David Livingstone and the rest. One thing for sure, it was never dull!
« Last Edit: 15:51:44, 22/04/22 by hatton »

hatton

« Reply #267 on: 16:34:33, 22/04/22 »
Before descending further into my dotage, and with considerable help from Ian "Woodie" Woodier, I have pieced together what I believe is the Register from Fom 5B in 1961.  If I have got it wrong , and it was SIXTY years ago for goodness sake, I blame it on Woodie!

Booth, Briscoe, Bruce, Cohen, Dexter, Frost, Harvey, Hatton, Heslop, Holborn, Irvine, Jackson, Kay H, Kay J, Leeming, Leeson, Leggatt, Livingstone, Manning, Marsden, McClure, Monk, Moores, Morris, O'Neil, Peake, Ridler, Silver, Williams, Woodier

Alan J

« Reply #268 on: 10:56:07, 02/05/22 »
Hello Kevin,

Using the Username 'Alan J' I have been a member of the site for some years and, with another ex-pupil, been organising face-to-face meetings in Cheadle with others.  Because of Corvid these meetings have been postponed but we have been communicating via e-mail.  I should like very much to meet up with yourself.  Also, by fortune, I met Geoff Barlow who had retired but was doing supply teaching work in French and printed off a School Roll for 1960-61 when we were in 5B.  I should like to send/give you a copy of this.
I am really happy to hear that you have kept in contact with classmates and hear the names of others.

Alan D. Jackson.

hatton

« Reply #269 on: 13:18:47, 02/05/22 »
Alan!

Great to hear from you after all these years-in fact 60 years this July! The only two people I kept in touch with from our form (5B) were Andy Irvine and Ian Woodier (Woodie). Regrettably I lost touch with Andy about 20 years ago but Ian and I reconnected around 2008 and have kept in contact and met up numerous times since.  We lost touch for about 15 or so years as Ian was a Captain in the Merchant Navy and my wife and I spent 16 years overseas with British Airways. In fact until COVID struck Ian and I had an annual walking trip to such places as the Peaks, The Lakes, Snowdonia, The Yorkshire Dales and even made it up to Ben Nevis in 2014 a feat I doubt we shall repeat.

I definitely remember Mr Barlow. If I recall correctly he lived, as I did, in Withington with his mother. I think their house was on Arnfield Road which leads to Christies. Why I remember this is to do with a certain pre Bonfire Night prank. The pranksters included, I believe, a number of 5B classmates but I remain sworn to secrecy on the naming of the individuals!!

We have resided in Guildford, Surrey since 1990 and I no longer have any family in the Manchester area. In fact over recent years the only visits we have made up there is to see Ian and his wife.

Lastly, are there any other of out mutual classmates you have stayed in touch with?

Cheers