Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133683 times)

Peter L

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #120 on: 23:16:55, 04/09/18 »
Having lived in the USA (Virginia) for nigh on 40 years attendance will be difficult, but I can raise a glass of Boddington's in your honor

Peter L.

Alan J

« Reply #121 on: 12:56:10, 05/09/18 »
Dear Peter,

Cheers to you, too!  Don't forget, though, you still have great memories of your time at school - some quite amusing - and we all look forward to hearing from you.

Alan Jackson

Alan J

« Reply #122 on: 13:07:51, 05/09/18 »
Dear All,
A bit of late news, but I met up with one of my old school friends, Keith Hawkins, in August and had a super day in Manchester.  We observed changes in the city centre, looked around the Museum of Industry and had some food and drink.  Our conversations brought back terrific memories of friends and happenings and reminded us that school is not just about lessons and passing exams but also about forming relationships which enriched our lives and held us in good stead for our futures.

Alan Jackson

Alan J

« Reply #123 on: 14:54:09, 20/10/18 »
Dear Bob Ellis, Peter L and Anthony,

I have located the organisation responsible for granting the fitting of Blue Plaques, which is headed incidentally by Mike Read the music presenter on the B.B.C., and shall recommend to him as to the validity of fitting a plaque at Whitworth Street to commemorate those former students.

Let's see how I get on.
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Alan D. Jackson. [/size]

mccormick

« Reply #124 on: 00:10:40, 23/10/18 »
my name is Peter McCormick. At MCGB 1950 to 1957. Discovered this site during writing memoirs. Dr LP de la Perrelle was new to the Whitworth Street the same day I was. A lovely man. Mr Bowcott was Second Master, and I agree with previous OBs that he was a stern disciplinarian. Mr Ford was my first form master; a gentle soul who died whilst I was at the school. I remember Mr Rourke the music teacher, and his 'flying angel' - the board duster thrown at inattentive boys. M Stang was our French teacher; Caldbeck and Beale ('setsquare' and 'chiseler') were the woodwork teachers. Joss Horrocks was for Geography and Mr Trueblood for history. 'Fud' Lever and 'Piggy' Stewart were not my teachers. Bob Acton taught maths, Bill Speakman taught Biology, AW Smith taught Chemistry, and 'Trog' Davis was for Physics. Contemporaries of mine in the sixth form were Moses Veeder, Capper, Heywood and Michael Mason. I would love to learn of these boys.

I subsequently read Medicine at Edinburgh, Tropical Medicine at Liverpool. Settled in Kettering, Northants, and retired from General Practice in 1995. This was followed by 13 years of volunteer work in Cameroon, where I founded a Charity for child cancer.

Glad to have found this site; I'll keep an eye on it now!

Peter Mc

[email protected]

« Reply #125 on: 18:40:03, 08/11/18 »
Hello again,  just to let you know there will be another meet of the boys on Monday 19 th at Morrison's Store, Cheadle Heath.  We will be in the small cafe, this is situated on the right as you enter  the store.
So sorry such short notice but have not been able to make any posts for a week or so.
Look forward to meeting any old boys from asylum  there are not many of us left now.
TONY.

Frank204

« Reply #126 on: 15:52:02, 03/12/18 »
Hello. Frank Brown here. I was at school from 1956 to 1963. So good to see many names I remember. Dave Gooch, Keith Hawkins, Alan Jackson, Tony Caruana etc.
I have many fond memories of school and of staff, some good, some horrible. Like some of you I was in the CCF and enjoyed many camps at various RAF bases. Dave Gooch might recall almost blowing my head of with a pistol at RAF Topcliffe.
A group of us joined a ballroom dancing class in Didsbury (no doubt hoping to meet young ladies).

Alan J

« Reply #127 on: 17:35:28, 09/12/18 »
Dear Frank,

I was delighted to receive your post announcing yourself on to the Site - all we need now is Dave Gooch and John Coxon and we have the full set.  You will have read that I had an excellent day-out with Keith Hawkins some weeks ago and you featured well in our conversations.

I should be very pleased if we could communicate via e-mail (it is more private) and I have also Tony C's address so I suggest you send an e-mail to Anthony Marino who has the MCGS e-mail address.
Incidentally, are you still living in the Manchester area?

Alan D. Jackson

Dave Owen

« Reply #128 on: 12:55:55, 31/01/19 »

Hello anybody.
I attended Central from 1963 to 1968.
I was there when we went comprehensive.
It became a different school almost overnight.
We were merged with Victoria Park secondary modern.
My class was 1B 2B etc.
I was trying to recall the register of pupils
Armstrong, Baguley, Cartwright, Dennell, Duggan, Fletcher, Edwards, Harris, Heap, Johnson, Levy,
Merron, Owen, Smith, Sanderson ( name change ) Taylor, Worley.
I reckon I got about half of them.
We had an enlightened English teacher (Mr. Pritchard maybe?) who turned us all on to Bob Dylan.
Anybody else from the infamous 5B ?
It would be cool to hear from you.

Ray fletcher

« Reply #129 on: 19:51:53, 01/02/19 »
Hi.
I attended MCGS from April 64 (joining the 1st year in the 3rd term) until May 1968.
I was in forms
1H – Hale
2B – Hollick then Bland
3B – Lawes
4B – Eckersley
5B - Lawes

My register read:
Armstrong John
Bagguley Robert
Binnie David
Cartwright Neil
Dennell graham
Duggan Peter
Edwards
Fletcher Ray
Johnson Jeffrey
Kuranke-Taylor
Hanson Paul
Harris Phil
Heap Geoffrey
Merron
Oldfield
Owen
Sutton David
Stevens Martin
Szenystzn Paul
Thompson
Worley Stanley

I have a few anecdotes to share in future posts but would be interested to hear from anyone mentioned, or otherwise.
best wishes,
John Armstrong

Ray fletcher

« Reply #130 on: 20:05:07, 01/02/19 »
Nice to see all the old names, thought I was the only register retentive old boy. We lost one off our register , Glyn Edwards who I was in business with for many years.

Right here goes my version of the register

Armstrong John
Baguley Robert
Binnie David
Cartwright Neil
Dennel Graham
Duggan Paul
Edwards Glyn
Fletcher Ray
Hanson Paul
Harris Mike
Heap Geoff
Johnson Jeff
Kweke Kuranki Taylor Richard
Merron Robert
Oldfield Colin
Owen David
Senszyn Paul
Smith Barry
Stevens Martin
Sutton David
Thompson Robert
Worley Stanley

Look forward to catching up with anyone who remembers me

Chris Cowle

« Reply #131 on: 10:28:02, 02/02/19 »
Oh how these pages have taken me back.I was at Central in the last intake at Whitworth Street,then Kirky lane.Many of the teachers already mentioned I can picture and a few I sadly can't.My first form teacher in 1961 was Mr Pope who quite appropriately tought R.E. He made us learn the order of all the books in the bible,after Deuteronomy I'm a bit lost now.Can anyone remember at Kirky lane was it Mr Salmon who had the very old car?He gave a few of us a ride in it one day.It had a canvas roof,no Windows and I think it was an Armstrong,just like they drove in the Anthill Mob on TV.Happy Days

G holme

« Reply #132 on: 20:20:16, 13/02/19 »
I have just found this site. Rea
lly takes me back to when I was at CGS. I was there from 1945 to 1952. my brothers, Ken Holme and Arthur Holme were there after me.
I wonder if there are any others around who were there around my time....or am I the only fossil?
George Holme

delsbelles

« Reply #133 on: 14:35:26, 04/03/19 »
Hi there,

I have been clearing out a storage container and found a book Nicholas Nickelby, it’s been presented to Fred Bardsley form 2a 1920-21 session the form master is F W Ogden but the headmasters name Robert something isn’t clear. Any ideas who the headmaster was at that time. Phil

G holme

« Reply #134 on: 15:43:32, 04/03/19 »
Hi. Try Robert Crossthwaite.