Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133678 times)

delsbelles

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #135 on: 21:49:09, 07/03/19 »
Robert Crosthwaite is the man thanks

G holme

« Reply #136 on: 03:48:48, 15/03/19 »
I was at CGS from 1945-1952. I remember many of the teachers who have been named in earlier posts. I especially remember A.W. Smith, Charlie Bowcott, Froggie Wilkinson and Mr Chaney and  Dr Perrelle, the Principals.
Among the luminaries in my classes, I remember Tubby Hargreaves, Bob Gosling, Geoff Callow, Donald Warm and Peter Donaghue, who I believe became the Lord Mayor
About 1950-1952 I played on the school soccer team with Brian Greaves, Tubby Hargreaves and Gilbert Hunt.
Anyone know the whereabouts of any of these guys?
George Holme

johntyd

« Reply #137 on: 14:46:03, 06/04/19 »
Hello in reply to Chris Cowle. I was a pupil from 1960 until 1965 after which the Grammar became a Comprehensive.  Joe Peacock took us for physics. He possessed two vintage cars. One was a Lagonda with huge headlights and the other was an Alvis if my memory serves me right. He lived on Ashton Old Road at Fairfield/Audenshaw. I remember in one lesson he turned us loose on one of these cars. I remember the chassis was based on two large girders of steel. It was so solidly built even our lot couldn't do it much harm:-)) Mr. Salmon was our form master I think in the third year. I believe his main subject was English. Hope this helps to jog the memory. John Davies

Taffy

« Reply #138 on: 15:16:48, 09/04/19 »
Hi Chaps,
Have just discovered this great site, - bringing back loads of memories. Good to see a posting from an old classmate johntyd. Yes, started with you in 1960 at Whitworth Street and left in 1966. I remember Joe Peacock and his fabulous cars - they would be worth a fortune now.
I did draft a long posting of memories of pupils and staff but I timed out before I had chance to post it. I'll try again at some later date.
Thanks for reminding me of some of the good and not so good times, no matter what, I think we had the best of it at this school during our time there. Colin Williams Aka Taff

johntyd

« Reply #139 on: 00:25:26, 10/04/19 »

Hi Colin (Taffy)
How amazing after 54 years to have some news of a former classmate. Delighted to be able to communicate after all this time Colin. Names which spring to mind are David Alderson, The giant Paul Rice from Canada, Alan Farragher, Tiny Playfoot, Norman Lydon etc.etc. Yes, I didn't particularly enjoy the Grammar school or take full advantage of it.  Almost immediately upon leaving I started to realise what a gift it was and how it had prepared me for life and made me strive. I agree with you Colin that we had the best of it. All those wonderful characters. I liked Joe Peacock very much, and often the teachers would digress and he had been a sailor in Her Majesty's navy or maybe it was His Majestys navy when he was enlisted. Mr. Soulby was a decent chap. Mr. Atkins for maths and the bike club. He put on my report ' should take up knitting' in Algebra. Tee Hee. Thinking back it gave me a great deal. I'm still in the Greater Manchester area and of course retired. My wife still works but will retire in August. I think the prospect of spending 24/7 with me was to much to contemplate -:) We have three grown up children. I am over the moon to hear of you Taff. Marvellous. Will sign off now. Lots of stories and tales to relate in the future. I cant get over it Taffy. Bloody wonderful. John Davies.

Taffy

« Reply #140 on: 11:51:22, 11/04/19 »
Hi John, that's brilliant. Although Ihave always lived in the Greater Manchester area, much of my working life was spent up and down the country - so I rarely came into contact with anyone from our school and even more rarely from our year. Like you, I wasn't particularly motivated at school, but they must have done something right to ignite some sparks in us! It's great to hear from you and to share schoolday memories, not something I have been able to do till now!
I'm also married with 3 children and was lucky enough to retire early. Can you believe we're both around 70, what happened to those young lads?
Your posting made me sit down to try to remember some more of our intake and some of the teachers. Here's what I came up with, apologies for those I have not yet recalled:
BOYS;
Abrahams, Arnold, Armstrong, Alderson, Barnes, Bruce, Baguley, Beswick, Campbell, Clarke, Collinson, Clayton, Davies (you) Derby, Foulkes, Faragher, Grainger, Greatorix, Gifkin, Gaffney, Gaffin, Harrison, Hatton, Hargreaves, Hall,
Key, Kennedy, Karl, Kaushik, King, Jackson, Jenkins, Rus and Rick Jones, Liptrot, Lomas, Lavelle, Lyndon, Maxwell, Maguire, Ogden, Oldfield, Osborne, Pertoldi,
Playfoot, Poynton, Pye, Patchett, R.Ramsden, S.Ramsden, Ramshead, Rice, Rooney, Robinson, Spicer, Simpson, Standering, Smith, Samuels, Simms, Thorpe, Wallace, Watt, Wright, Ward, Warburton, Warhurst, Weinberg, S.Williams and me C.Williams.
TEACHERS
Dr de la Perelle, Bowcock, Smith, Millington, Bland, Eckersley, Pope, Peacock, Harwood, Rourke, Barlow, Rogerson, Stelfox, Atkins, Grainger, Hale, Salmon, Soulby, Rotheray, Caldbeck, Peddle, Garner, Hopwood and Wilkinson and Stewart who never taught us.
I'm sure you will recall others! I wonder how many of us are left?
Great to hear from you, I'll post some more anecdotes again. Best regards Colin

Taffy

« Reply #141 on: 11:02:35, 16/04/19 »
Photograph of form 2S, 1961/2 with the class teacher Mr. Soulby (centre). The lad on the left who looks like he was a teacher was in our class and the same age - David Rice, a number of others I can't put names to?
I hope this loads!
Best regards
Colin

[email protected]

« Reply #142 on: 16:37:45, 16/04/19 »
Hello again,  just a quick note to let you all know a couple of us, real old boys, from the grammar days are getting together again.
We will be meeting around 11.30 on the 15th May at Morrison's store, Cheadle heath.Stockport.
As you enter the store there is a small cafe on the right and we normally have a cuppa and when ready move into the main restaurant for a bite to eat.
Would be great to meet any other old boys who have not yet attended our little get togethers,
Please try and make the effort , you can't miss us, we are the old codgers sat moaning.
Best wishes to all .......Tony.

johntyd

« Reply #143 on: 21:02:16, 16/04/19 »
Good evening all,
A quick reply Anthony. I will try to attend your next get together on the 15th May. Look forward to meeting you the true 'Old Boys'. It is not often these days I get too feel younger again :-)
Taffy, I was going to post the same photo. I have not yet located it and you have beaten me to it. I have listed the names in order from left to right starting with the back row for your information. I think it is reasonably accurate but don't put money on it.
BACK ROW - Barry Collison (Collywobbles), Michael Baguley, S. Kaushik, Philip Pye, B. Gifkins, Geoffrey Warhurst, M. Camphell, R. Lafon, K. Randles:
2ND ROW DOWN - Alan Simpson, John Davies, Paul Oldfield, Dave Wallace, Blank, Blank, Stephen Hatton, Peter Thorpe:
3RD ROW DOWN - Blank, Joey Karle, Blank,Blank, Mr. Soulby, S. Gregory ?, S.Garford ?, Colin Williams (Taffy), R.Jones ?:
BOTTOM ROW - David Alderson  and Alan Farragher:
Giant on the left from Canada the same age as the rest of us I believe. David Rice from Canada.
I'll sign off now I hope the above is correct but should you see errors please correct me.
Kindest Regards and Best Wishes
John Davies

P.S. You may be able to fill in some blanks. Colin I hope I have got yours correct or I will have a red face. Well it was 54 years ago. :-))
« Last Edit: 21:27:31, 16/04/19 by johntyd »

[email protected]

« Reply #144 on: 12:32:37, 17/05/19 »
We'll hello again.
Had an enjoyable meet on Wednesday although only four of us, myself, Alan Jackson and two new comers John Davis and Colin Williams. We did have an apology from Steve Wall (as it is the first time he has missed will forgive him) and also Keith Hallworth as Wednesday's were impossible for him.
It means we have around 9 or 10 now who attend when possible from all different years.
We agreed to meet again around the end of June or early July at a venue to be arranged in Manchester centre.
Would be obliged for any suggestions about a venue as soon as possible so we can arrange a day and time, giving everyone notice for our very hetic retirement diaries, (I seem to have a more hectic time now than ever).
Note Wednesday seems to be a bad day for a few, but will liaise with those whose details I have to arrange a day. If any days are bad for you e-mail me on [email protected] and let me know.
I promise to get back in touch right away with my own e-mail address.
Hope to hearing from new, old boys, soon,
God bless ,  the rebel vicar,
TONY.

[email protected]

« Reply #145 on: 19:28:40, 23/06/19 »
Hello again chaps, it has been agreed between a few of us to hold another meet on Thursday 18 th July, at Morrison's Cheadle Heath. We did consider Manchester but it was felt Morrison's was the best bet. We will be in the small  cafe (it is on the right  as you enter the store) and after a few teas or coffees some of us  retire to the main restaurant  for a meal. It would be great to meet some new old boys, there are not many of us left , so try and attend.
Look forward to meeting you.......attend  while you can,      TONY.       

[email protected]

« Reply #146 on: 16:18:01, 24/06/19 »
Hello yet again , sorry did not give a time for our meet. We start arriving from 11,30.
Please try to attend if you would like to attend but the day of the week is awkward 
Let us know we can try and change it.
Look forward to meeting new  ex pupils of the ex ^school^ .
Tony. 

beermonster

« Reply #147 on: 13:02:55, 14/07/19 »
Good evening all, I was at the school from 1966 to 1970, does anyone know if records of achievements were kept, and if so where can they be accessed?

shoulders

« Reply #148 on: 11:00:03, 05/08/19 »
hi folks darren  here  i went to the lower school  in   1978 to 1980 and higher school until may 1981 when i left in my third year  :) never knew it as a grammar school  it was always manchester high for boys in my time   my nickname was shoulders  :)

Butch43

« Reply #149 on: 11:05:17, 10/08/19 »
I found this site yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed reading about the old school before I got there.  I started in 1969 at the Lower School on Daisy Bank Road, along with six or eight other lads from Varna Street Primary in Gorton/Openshaw, fifty years ago this coming September.  With the benefit of fifty years of hindsight and a career in school teaching behind me I can echo some of the comments above about the school taking a downward turn after the new comprehensive education system in 1967.  I worked in a similar all-boys school where the staffroom had the vestiges of the former grammar school masters lingering on into retirement. It made me think of what it must have been like for a number of the old chaps at Central who had seen years or decades of very bright boys coming through the door each morning versus the new very mixed-ability cohorts sitting in front of them and not really knowing what to do with a number of them.  A great shame for them.

In 1969 the year groups were divided into three sections depending on when your birthday was.  If you were born between September and December you were in the S section; January to April and you were placed in J section; May to August and you were in M section. The sections were then streamed into A, B and C based on ability which was determined by a Maths and English test administered in the first week or so.  Hence I ended up in 1JA as my birthday is in February.

I recall a number of teachers: Mrs Reynolds (English) was our form tutor; Dennerley - Geography; Basketer - Science; Mrs Marks was also a Science teacher and she was the wife of Ken Marks, M.P.; Williams - Maths, was fond of using a white P.E. pump; Edwards was also maths; Charlie Hale was still there teaching French and recorders; Mrs Smith was music and I can still remember several of the traditional songs she had us sing. In fact a few years ago I spent some time putting together a CD of lots of those songs (that  is copying them from a selection of professional CDs, not actually producing a CD) that I regularly sing along to in the car. Watson was P.E. and he must have been close to retirement by then.  He was always in a tracksuit but once appeared in a suit when he was invigilating an end of year exam and nobody recognised him. de la Perelle was Headmaster but he spent his time at the Upper School at Kirkmanshulme Lane. 'Fudge' Ferguson was Head of Lower School.  He seemed a surly man who had little time for children. I remember one day a great news story swept across the school. A boy in the year above us named Castile took a cat up to the the fourth floor toilets and dropped it out of the window onto Fudge's precious bronze-coloured Jaguar car. It seemed like a major international incident at the time. Eckersley was History,  Dixie Dean taught French in the second year and he was manic, one time running up and down the rows of boys slapping them round the back of the head.  He must have had a good reason for doing this but I can't recall what it was. Munday taught Science in our second year and somebody did something to upset him.  He lined us all up and prepared to whip each of our backsides with a Bunsen burner tube unless the culprit owned up.  One of the lads did just that and the rest escaped unharmed. There was a 'cool' art teacher who was fond of grabbing any miscreants by the sideburns and tugging them around the room by way of admonishment. I might recall his name one day. Tomlinson and Caldbeck senior taught woodwork and nobody messed with them.  Tomlinson also ran the rugby team. Caldbeck's son was an Art teacher too; a bit of a smoothie as I recall.

Mr Avari (who I learned today has recently died, along with the wonderful Joe Potterton - English) taught History in a novel way.  He would sit at his desk reading the Guardian whilst dictating notes that we had to copy down.  It wasn't very inspirational but I suppose it kept some of the nutters under control.

I still remember most of our class register: Ballantyne, Brown, Burnyeat, Butcher, Callaghan, Corley, Cotton, Eadsforth, Feltham, Grant, Gresty, Hill, Hogan, Hutchinson, Locke, Mee, Riley, Robertshaw, Thorpe, Turner.  There must be ten or so names I have missed out.

As I sit and type this a lot more memories come to mind but I ought to stop and come back to it.  Just one more then: there was a handful of fourth year girls at the school and I have no idea what they were doing there.  I know that a number of us pimply twelve year olds fancied them but - the story of my life - they were well out of our league.  There was also what was termed a Partially-Sighted Unit. Half a dozen or so children with visual impairments were educated at the Lower School.  They didn't really mix with us though.

Well, that's enough for my opening salvo.  I'll have a think and come back to this page.  My apologies if I have rambled on too far.