Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133731 times)

Butch43

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #150 on: 15:35:59, 10/08/19 »
I have just thought of four more lads in our form: Mohammed Afzal Khan, Gary Rowe, Roman Tymczyszyn ( pronounced Timtishen) and Leslie Woods.

Also, about seven years ago I was digging around in the Manchester Record Office and found a number of bits and pieces connected with the school. There were several class photos from the early 1960s which were not relevant to me at the time.  They can be copied if anybody wanted to do that.  I took a camera with me and have copies of de la Perelle's retirement 'do' invitation from 1974, a photo of him with his secretary of the time and a photo of the entire staff from 1974.  I have tried to attach them here but they are too big. If anybody would like them and can tell me how to do a personal message or give me their email address I will happily send them on.

[email protected]

« Reply #151 on: 18:47:04, 11/08/19 »
Hello Butch , I have been trying to get info from my time in the 60 s  without any real success.Can you tell me where you found the photos etc, So I can try and do a bit of digging.
Hope you will be able to come to some of our meetings soon.
Best wishes.....TONY.

Butch43

« Reply #152 on: 09:13:29, 12/08/19 »
Dear Tony,

About seven or eight years ago the Manchester Record Office at Central Library underwent a refurbishment. They moved to a temporary home somewhere near the old Guardian printworks and it was during that time that I found the school stuff.  I can only imagine that they still have the information, now that the R.O. has moved back to Central Library.  From memory all I did was ask at the desk for anything they held on the school.  The class photos, the admissions book from my time, the stuff from 1974 about de la Perrelle's retirement was all in a box or two.  I'm sure that if you were to go to the R.O. they'd find it for you.  Sometimes you have to phone in advance to order up the information so it might be worth doing that first.

I am in Leicestershire so won't be able to make as many meetings as I  might like to, but I'll keep my eye on what is happening and see what I can manage.

All the best,

Butch

[email protected]

« Reply #153 on: 21:45:09, 12/08/19 »
Burch, thanks for your reply, I have been to the central library but all they could find for me was details of Ducie High going into Central. The details of the grammar time seem to not exist. When you got the box out was it under Central High School ?
I am going to try again once I get your reply,
Many thanks for your help,
Tony.

Butch43

« Reply #154 on: 09:36:10, 13/08/19 »
Given that it was seven or so years ago I can't honestly say what name it was under.  Perhaps it would be worth a phone call and really push them to look under both school names.  This was at the time when the Record Office had moved to its temporary home somewhere near the old Manchester Guardian printworks whilst the library building was undergoing refurbishment.  That shouldn't make any difference as to whether or not they have the records though. Other than that I don't know what to suggest.

If you'd like the de la Perelle retirement material please let me have an email address or advise me how to do a private message.

Good luck,

Butch

[email protected]

« Reply #155 on: 11:35:17, 25/08/19 »
Hi again. If anyone recognises themselves contact [email protected]

Tony

[email protected]

« Reply #156 on: 11:35:46, 25/08/19 »
Here's another photo.

Tony

[email protected]

« Reply #157 on: 11:42:17, 25/08/19 »
Hello again, sorry one upside down, not very tech minded.
Also the top photo the handsom [censored] top right well guess who.
Tony.

Butch43

« Reply #158 on: 11:56:31, 25/08/19 »
Hi Tony,

Can I take it that you had some success at the record Office then?  What other material do they have ?

Butch

[email protected]

« Reply #159 on: 14:50:17, 25/08/19 »
Burch they had a lot of photos from different age groups, if you want to look at them will send you the details of the files I got out.
Then you must make an appointment at the archives section and they will have them ready for you.
Can give you the e mail address for them and you can see if there are any photos you would like.
Thanks for your help without it I would still be getting no where.
God bless,
Tony.

Butch43

« Reply #160 on: 14:55:00, 25/08/19 »
Yes please, I'd like to know what they have.  It's been a while since I saw them and I might make the journey from the midlands to take another look.

Butch

[email protected]

« Reply #161 on: 20:31:27, 25/08/19 »
Butch,  e-mail me at     [email protected]
Will let you have all the details.
Tony.

[email protected]

« Reply #162 on: 20:09:56, 28/08/19 »
Hello again chaps, thought might give my feelings about our  wonderful school. This is to the tune of the Beatles Penny Lane.

In Kirky lane there is a master showing photographs,
     Of every pupil that he's had the pleasure to beat.
And all the pupils that come and go,
    Never stop to say hello.

In classrooms we had psychos with canes,
    And the pupils kept a distance from him.
Cause the [censored] was really dim,
    He likes to give out pain......very strange.

Kirky lane is in my thoughts and nightmares,
     But the teachers have no cares,
There beneath the dank Manchester skies,
     A little piece of me dies.

In Kirky lane all the pupils were under assault,
     No matter if they were at fault.
The masters loved to give us many a hit,
    They really did not give a [censored].

At last they found the best way for the school,
     And all the expupils would stop and drool.
As they pulled the building down,
     The worst institution in town.

Kirky lane is now gone for ever,
      But our scars will fade never.
Yet we will not let it get us down.
     The worst bleeding school in town.

MCGSB ..........RIP .......

Glad I got that of my mind.

God bless,        TONY.     

Bob Bowling

« Reply #163 on: 22:28:07, 30/08/19 »
So it isn't only me who looks back on my years there without the rose coloured glasses then?
Bob - 1965 - 1972

[email protected]

« Reply #164 on: 23:35:58, 30/08/19 »
Bob, you would be very shocked if you learned the extent of the feelings. I have kept my feelings well kept reasonably hidden about the place.  I have found however that there are many who felt the same. As I tried to get as many ex pupils together,  to remember our friendships not the school, it has opened my eyes.
During my searches found a few from my old class but also have been amazed at 4 of the lads who have expressed quite a venom  against the place and refused flat to attend reunions because it only reminded them of the place and the bad feelings towards it.
I have said many times it is a great shame that such a good school should be ruined and remembered by the psychos that they put to work to teach us.
In my position I should be turning the other cheek, I should be forgiving, I should be trying to find reason for their attitudes. I am afraid I can not, even after all these years (I attended 61 to 65 ) the memories of the bullying and attitude of the teachers will not fade.
I am only glad to have met others from the school, and this has helped, in fact the meetings have been very enjoyable, with many laughs.
Perhaps if you could attend one of our get togethers it would help with bad memories, we were all in the same boat, sorry it's a great shame we were on the titanic.
Keep in touch and let your thoughts out as well, remember the friends you made it helps.
Good luck for the future, and god bless you and your family.
Tony.