Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 134235 times)

Rocles

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #165 on: 17:43:26, 01/09/19 »
As per Butch's prev post, here's a couple of artefacts from De La Perelle's Leaving Party....

Bob Bowling

« Reply #166 on: 11:49:11, 07/09/19 »
Hi Tony[/font]
It isn’t so much that I have bad memories of the school, more that I just feel the education could have been so much better if the attitudes of some of the staff hadn’t been so bad. It would be unfair to tar them all with the same brush as some  were excellent, but some of them were just not interested in bringing out any skills or talents we had. [/font]
I doubt I will ever get to a reunion as I live in Devon now and very rarely come back to Manchester. I do wish you well and would say don’t worry about not being able to forgive them, better to try and forget them. There is no need for you to burn your hand holding on to the hot coal of anger you want to lob back at them.[/font]
Bob[/font]

[/font]

[email protected]

« Reply #167 on: 22:25:26, 22/09/19 »
Hello again chaps. We are looking at another meet of the few.
Wednesday 16 th October, 11.30 am, at Morrison's, Cheadle Heath Stockport again.
We will be in the small cafe (on the right as you enter the store).
Normally those possible later retire to the main restaurant for a little Lunch.
Please try and attend if at all possible. It would be great to meet new/old faces.
Remember we are  getting older and less every year.
Look forward to meeting, all old boys.
TONY.

MikeGee

« Reply #168 on: 06:44:07, 07/10/19 »
Just registered. I was at Central from 1956 to 1967. More to follow.

[email protected]

« Reply #169 on: 19:17:52, 08/10/19 »
Mike, welcome to the site, hope you have had some good reading from the posts others have given.
Hope to hear more from you and that if possible you could attend one of our little get  togethers.
Good reading,  God bless,
TONY.

[email protected]

« Reply #170 on: 17:57:34, 28/10/19 »
Hello again chaps, the few of us that meet up regular have arrange a get together for Wednesday 4 th December. We will be meeting at Morrison's, Cheadle Heath again 11.00 to  11.30.
We normally meet in the small cafe (on the right as you enter the store) for a coffee before moving to the main restaurant for a lunch.
Due to the time of year the store could be very busy so if you are unable to see us old men in the small cafe try the main restaurant where we may have to go first to get seats.
All you old boys, try and make the effort, you may meet old faces you have not seen for years, Remember we are all getting  old now so try and make the effort.
Do hope to see some new faces, we do  have a good time with many laughs and new faces will add to the stories.
TONY. 

jbedson

« Reply #171 on: 16:00:59, 09/01/20 »
Hi, my name is John Bedson and I was at MCGS from 1963 to 1968., I was in the L stream, the one below X so I was never destined for the 6th form or university. After leaving I got an apprenticeship as a draughtsman with a building company and I've been in the building trade ever since. I now work at Manchester Airport managing building work but retirement is beckoning. I would love to get to a reunion one day.

[email protected]

« Reply #172 on: 19:49:04, 21/01/20 »
Hello again chaps, there will be a meeting of the few on Tuesday 11 th Feb at Morrison's, Cheadle Heath. 11.00 to 11.30 in the small cafe, we will after a couple of drinks, go to the main restaurant for a meal.
Please try and attend I keep saying there are only a few of us left so turn up before its too late.
TONY.

JimmyClitheroe

« Reply #173 on: 11:22:21, 18/02/20 »
Just discovered this forum. I was at MCGB from 1964 to 1970. Everyone called me Jim or Jimmy because of my surname. I was in the L stream, made a mess of my O levels and stayed on into 6th form removed to retake them, but wasted most of my time playing snooker at Slade Lane or dossing in the 6th form common room. I witnessed the rapid decline in 1967 and the loss of many of the masters. It is sad to remember the effects of ideological experiments in education on the pupils concerned. Most of my memories of the school are unhappy ones but there were certain teachers who did try. I remember fondly Mr Knight, who taught me maths and judo, and Mr Pritchard , English, who I thought was a friend (as I was good at English) until he shopped me for forging an sick note from my mother. i travelled in from Hazel Grove by bus, and despite being on the bus at 8am I was invariably late and had to stand in the queue to be seen by De la Parelle. From my class I remember Andrew Sykes, Geoff Woodcock, Mike Bolas, Ian Clinton, Fossy Farnworth, Roy Pennington. We did get together some years ago via FriendsReunited.
I have found it interesting to read pupils different opinions of the same teachers. There was certainly a culture of bullying and intimidation. My impression was that the X and L streams got the best teachers. Looking back, it was a bit comical the way the school tried to copy the public school model, with academic gowns and “houses” for sports, which meant absolutely nothing at any other time during the year.
I realise I have just missed the get together. I hope plenty of people turned up
Best wishes to all survivors
Jim

[email protected]

« Reply #174 on: 10:34:34, 21/03/20 »
Just a quick note to all our readers.
Please look after yourselves at these worrying times. Remember (as if you could forget) our ages now and ensure you all take care. There are not many of us left now and let's not let this horrible virus reduce us more.
I am saying a prayer for us all to get through this, make sure you and all your family take the advice offered and stay safe.
God bless you all.   
TONY

Parky

« Reply #175 on: 13:09:43, 21/03/20 »
Indeed, take care everyone . :smitten:

Zyggy

« Reply #176 on: 17:50:13, 05/04/20 »
These are strange times indeed & I would like to add my best wishes to all on this Forum & other past inmates, sorry, pupils & hope that we all see it safely to the other side!

I am hoping to attend a future "meeting of the few" & only missed the last one as I logged in after the last date.

When this is all over, perhaps we could have a couple of months notice of the next one & I will practice my rendition of "Non Nobis Domine" to enthrall the paying customers of Morrison's!!

To Tony, a big thanks for trying to keep this all going & I look forward to meeting you in person.

[email protected]

« Reply #177 on: 12:19:58, 06/04/20 »
Zyggy, nice to hear  from you, if it helps former inmates e mail me on
[email protected]
I will confirm have received your details and can then let you know when we have selected a new date, (whenever that may be).
Alan Jackson has been available more than myself over the past few months as I have not been so good. I am sure he will not mind me giving you his e-mail address (will check with him first) so that if I am not available he will keep you in touch.
Anyone wishing to stay in touch contact me will 've only too glad to help.
Till we all meet again, look after yourselves, take extra care  and let's look forward to meeting up again as soon as possible,
God bless you and your families.......TONY

Nimble

« Reply #178 on: 17:51:10, 23/04/20 »

I went from 74-79 so much later than most.

Started at Lower School (Daisy Bank Rd)

Ferguson was the Headmaster down there and Mrs Reynolds was my 2nd year form teacher and English teacher which I enjoyed.

Moved to Kirky lane and Jack Firth was my form teacher. As mentioned, he was a huge bloke with a temper and an ex boxer who had a real passion for Latin which was all but finished by then as a subject although he taught History.

My English teacher was Joe Potterton who was just brilliant. Radio 4 on in the background and a real scholar of English and Latin too. He would wear his gown regularly and anybody who had him as a teacher just knew he was something different.

He used to circle poor work with red ink then give you marks like
-1000/10 which I'd never seen before  >:(  and my very first essay was covered in red circles. ;D

I struggled at school as I basically lost interest but I do remember Joe talking to me privately in my last year and he said if I really applied myself I could achieve a really good grade at 'O' level. It changed everything for me, just that bit of encouragement. I passed with distinction and to this day I don't remember anything about the exam at all. I just arrived, started writing and left early with him staring at me as i left the room.Cognitive flow or something but I was proud of myself and really happy for him for showing faith.

He was a bit eccentric (or so I thought but really he was a true academic). Used to ride his pushbike with the panniers on the side. Rumor was he had a weapon in one of them so he could see off any dogs that had a go at him on the way in... ;D

Maths was Mr Acton (with his trademark pipe) and I never registered anything at all with him although he was a good teacher and taught my older brother who went on to great things in his chosen field.

Geography was Mr Bolton
Chemistry was Mr Eckersley
Physics was Mr Dickinson
I remember Mr Salmon but wasn't taught by him

Apart from Joe Potts it wasn't a great experience and the school was sadly lacking in so many areas by the time I left. Couldn't wait to leave and I'd already secured an apprenticeship so the last few weeks of 5th year I dialed it in...

Bob Bowling

« Reply #179 on: 11:28:13, 29/04/20 »
I remember Joe Potterton well. The rumoured weapon he carried was a hand axe, I can just imagine what a fuss the plod would make these days if they saw him riding along with that.