Author Topic: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys  (Read 133672 times)

Tom

Re: Manchester Central Grammar School for Boys
« Reply #195 on: 22:10:28, 20/08/20 »
Tom H. Not sure whether I have contributed to this site . I was at Whitworth St. from 1954 to 1961. The last 2 yrs at Kirkmanshulme lane . I have 2 school rolls , which you  could buy for a few old pence. looking through brings back many memories which tie with my class photos starting in 1955. 1E with Herbert Harwood, 2A with Nobby Clarke up to 6B and  a when I became School Captain. A genuine surprise because I wasn't sporty or in the clubs or CCF. I recently heard from Bill Laws daughter. He lived to be 93! I wonder if any of the staff I knew are still around.? The youngest of them would be Alan Dobbins ,Mr Thomas and A. J Pope our aptly named Scripture master. He wore the modern(1950's) dress of brown corduroy jacket and trousers and  thickly soled brown suede shoes. All the other staff had leather ones which made quite a noise on the stone floors. He was completely silent -hence his nickname Creeping Jesus! In the 6th form I was told by Mr Smith that advance warning of approaching teachers saved hours of detentions, which they had to do as well! Best Wishes Tom H.

daftharry

« Reply #196 on: 00:21:14, 21/08/20 »
Hi Tom H.I was there 1951-1958 three years ahead of you. What years do the school rolls which you have cover?

Tom

« Reply #197 on: 18:46:13, 21/08/20 »
I have 1958/9 and 1960/61 school rolls for MCGS Boys. B  W  Tom.

Alan J

« Reply #198 on: 15:06:19, 25/08/20 »
Hello Tom,
I was taught by Both Alan Dobbins (Physics) and Mr. Thomas (English) who told us he did not speak a word of English until he was 11. He used to catch the 53 bus with us one the way home.  Alan was a good teacher but I was not good with the Maths involved and failed 'A' Level in both subjects.
However, I got day release from work to attend 'Tech' and went on to pass.
When I achieved my Degree I met Alan at Teachers' Union meetings and we got on very well.
I did not learn a lot from Mr. Smith apart from how to put out a biggies end under water and also how to pull a boys trousers down quickly when the lad spilled Aniline on his legs.  Very nasty stuff!

Alan J.

Alan J

« Reply #199 on: 14:00:39, 27/08/20 »
Hello again Tom,
I was in the Fifth Year when you were Head Boy but I don't recall your surname.  By the way, I thought that I had left a message on your pm asking for details on how I can get hold of a copy of the School Roll for 1958-59 when I was in the Third Year.  Are you still living in the Manchester area and can attend our get-togethers in Cheadle?

Alan J.

Bobsuzi1000

« Reply #200 on: 18:10:20, 31/08/20 »
Hi,

I have just discovered this post by accident - I saw a guy on the tv who was the spitting image of Jack Firth (as I remember him) so put his name into a Google search and I ended up here!

I was at Central from 1971 - 1973 (Daisy Bank Lane), and 1973-1976 (Pink Bank Lane).

M
Names I remember are:
De La Perrelle was headmaster at Pink Bank Lane ( I remember me and two others going in to get the cane. When it came to my turn I kept pulling my hand back at the last second. In the end he had a meltdown and sent me to see Johnny Hopley for six of the strap. Much preferable!
Johnny Hopley - Deputy Head
Mr Bolton - History
Mr Winter/Winterbottom? - Maths, I think
Mr Eckersley - can’t remember what he taught?
Loads of other people whose faces I have in my head, but no names!

I was in T all the way - 3T, 4T & 5T.

Bob

Alan J

« Reply #201 on: 23:26:02, 31/08/20 »
Hello Bob,
Thank you and welcome to our site,  You must have been towards the final intake of the School.
I recall visiting the School in 1974 during the Whitsun break from the school I worked in.  We were part of the Cheshire authority so we could have two weeks off for Whit but one week less during the Summer break. I was invited into the Staff Room to meet the teachers once again: many of the ones I knew had retired or passed away
I sat with Bob Acton, who taught me Maths,and he suggested that I drove to the Lower School building to chat with Harry Caldbeck who was in charge there.

I was fascinated to learn of the style of corporal punishment meted out to you.  It seems that the authority had decided that caning was to be on the hands and not the backside which was very painful and lasted for two weeks and also that the Deputy Head, Johnny Hopley, was to use the strap and not the cane. Albert Winterbottom taught me French very well and Boris Eckersley, I believe was in the Science Department.

While I was there I was told that Dr. de la P. was retiring but he was not in that day.  I was invited to his leaving 'do' in Belle Vue on the 25th of July and there was a massive turnout of teachers and also boys past and present.  Please make it a habit of contacting the site as and when your memory bring back details of interest and keep well at this stressful time.

Alan J.     

Simonsky

« Reply #202 on: 20:46:31, 02/09/20 »
Hi Bob, you seem to have been there at the same time as me.  This was the post-grammar school era. Most of the posts here are from the Grammar school time -so a different world to ours.  I failed my 11+ and despite living in Crumpsall in North Manchester, I ended up at Central. I Left in 1974 because I started truanting and refusing to go after someone through a brick at me in the playground and nearly concussed me. I can remember education officers visiting my parents and me refusing to go back!

There were some decent teachers who were decent people:

I remember Mr.Eckersley as the history teacher. He was quite old (or seemed so to us) and would whack misbehaving kids with a slipper.  He had a habit of licking the chalk before he used it.

There was a Mr. Basketter who I remember as a science teacher.

A Mr. Garner who I remember as an art teacher and very kind.

In upper school a Welshman called Mr. Lewis taught history and was always ranting about the collapse of standards in the school. He seemed to be heading for a nervous breakdown.

A Scottish Lady, Mrs Smith taught music-I played the violin and had the mickey taken out of me carrying it around the playground.

Mr. Parelle sent me a personal letter to try to encourage me back into school while I was playing truant. He retired very soon after.

Any of this ring a bell?

Alan J

« Reply #203 on: 18:54:54, 05/09/20 »
Hello and welcome to the site.  Although later students may feel that they attended the School in the Comprehensive days it is important that we hear from you to keep the site going due to your 'youth'.

I speak for other members when I ask if you are still living in the area so you can attend our get-togethers in Cheadle Heath (Morrisons).  Hopefully these can be resumed when the pandemic is over.

Alan J.

mangel

« Reply #204 on: 22:48:58, 19/09/20 »
Michael Angel... I attended MCGS from 1960 to 1966. Does anyone remember me? My memories are mainly directed at playing sport, particularly playing Rugby for the school. I unfortunately have vague memories of the teachers/pupils, so it would be good if anyone could enlighten me.

Regards
#Michael

Alan J

« Reply #205 on: 23:56:45, 19/09/20 »
Hello Michael and nice to hear from you.

I was in the Fifth Year when you joined the School and you will have spent your First Year at Whitworth Street.  It is likely that your paths will have crossed with those of Tony Marino who helps to organise the site.  If you look back to an earlier page you may find a School Roll which contains your name with classmates and this may jog some memories.

Please continue to write and contribute to the site and also let me know if you still live in the area so that you can meet us for our get-togethers.

Best,

Alan D. Jackson

Simonsky

« Reply #206 on: 14:17:57, 20/09/20 »
Thanks for the welcome Alan J.

Looks like myself and Bob are the only ones, so far, to have posted here who are post-grammar school days.  So I've sort of assumed that the thread is mainly of interest to those from the 'better times' in the history of the school before it became a more typical, urban school of the 70's.

I no longer live in Manchester and although I'm probably one of the 'younger' posters from the comprehensive days of the school , I just hit 60!!

Best wishes to all of you and hope your reunions may resume soon.

Jc01

« Reply #207 on: 22:54:30, 20/09/20 »
Hello Michael nice to hear from someone in my class for several years.  I did carry through to the 6th form, albeit with spectacular lack of success. I still recollect your dad’s shop whenever I am passing along Blackley New Road- which is very rarely. I now live near Cambridge. John Collinge

Chazz

« Reply #208 on: 18:54:00, 29/09/20 »
Hi there everyone - like others, I've just come across this forum by chance whilst looking for something else - wow, it's a real time machine, isn't it? I've just spent a pleasant few hours going through the pages and of course remember many of the names - I was at Whitworth Street for the first year (1961), and then at Kirkmanshulme Lane. Believe it or not I've got a couple of pics from the time, so I'd better show them to you, hadn't I, before we all pop our clogs....The French Master, Charlie (Monty) Hale has been mentioned along with his recorder society - I remember being shanghied into it with the promise of days off in Blackpool, Blackburn et al, so here they are (1964/5?)
Chas (Charlie) Broadhurst

Chazz

« Reply #209 on: 19:10:04, 29/09/20 »
This is our class 1E in 1961 with form master Mr. Threadgold (No, not Fred Gold, you stupid boy!)Top row from L. - Tennant, Huntington, Wood, Fearon, Heaton, Barnes, Dawson.Middle, standing - Mason, Bolton, Mitchell, Broadhurst, Pennock, Shenton, Lamb, Henshall.Bottom, seated - Rafter, Calvert, Jones, Mr. Threadgold, Shepherd, Graham, Ford.On ground - Turner, Newton, Sutton, Din.