Author Topic: H. Wiles toy shop  (Read 24420 times)

davo

H. Wiles toy shop
« on: 00:43:29, 15/08/13 »
Does anyone have any memories or pictures to share about H. Wiles toy shop?
A trip to Manchester was not complete without mithering your mum to stop off and look around Wiles. The best part for me was in the basement where all the goodies I was interested in lived.
Very rarely had anything bought me (except at Christmas) but just being there surrounded by all those toys was enough.

Manchester Man

Re: H. Wiles toy shop
« Reply #1 on: 23:18:56, 15/08/13 »
I remember going into Wiles regularly on my way home from school. As yourself always down to the basement where I admired the bows and arrows. I don't think I ever received anything bought from there  :(

I did however save up and bought a Diana Mod2 air pistol from Revells Sports shop in New Cross  8)

ATB
Ray.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

davo

« Reply #2 on: 02:35:30, 16/08/13 »
Wow, funny you should say that Ray. One of my Christmas presents from Wiles was a bow and arrow set, complete with straw target. Set it up in the back and my second shot glanced off the target and went through next doors window. We had good neighbours so no major drama. Needless to say the bow and arrow set had to go, these arrows had metal points on them and could kill. Where was health and safety in those days? All turned out well as I swaped the set for a massive Scalextric layout with a local lad. Best deal I ever made and what I wanted in the first place. Funny how things turn out mate.

bluemikeaway

« Reply #3 on: 14:51:24, 20/08/13 »
 :) Was Wiles next to Lewis Department store?

Adsum

« Reply #4 on: 15:24:16, 20/08/13 »
:) Was Wiles next to Lewis Department store?

Yes Wiles and Lewis's were separated by Lewis's arcade. when I was  very young the Arcade used to be lined with "Working ladies" who waited for their clients. I remember being about 10 years old and staring at one of the women, thinking what a good place this would be to meet up When I was old enough to get a girl friend I would meet her here. the woman who I was staring at looked at me and said, "Go and play and come back in a few years little boy"  :-[

« Last Edit: 15:28:08, 20/08/13 by Adsum »
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

davo

« Reply #5 on: 19:22:44, 20/08/13 »
As Adsum said, it was on Lewis' Arcade. It also had an entrance on Piccadilly (Mosley Street).
On Youtube you can watch the film Hell Is A City. In the opening shots through Piccadilly you pass through the bus station and you can see the sign H. Wiles on Mosley Street. Also in the closing scenes Stanley Baker walks through Lewis' Arcade with Wiles window in the background. I should also mention there is a rare shot of a famous pub - The Fatted Calf - in the film they changed the name and location. Alas, as a young under-aged drinker I missed this landmark, tucked away on Compton Court. I only just missed it though as I called in Seftons which was just around the corner. You can find all the pics on Manchester Library Archive. There are about four pics of Wiles, one way back when it was a chemist.

julie

« Reply #6 on: 07:14:15, 23/08/13 »
oh i love those old pics of m/cr sooo many memories me mam having a coffee in lewises me with me orange fizzy drink and then me mam would light a cigarette i would go green and want to throw up and she would get cross with me for making a fuss even got me legs slapped :-\ 
fate keeps on happening

Holmes

« Reply #7 on: 15:26:02, 29/01/14 »
For Davo:
Google the film "Hell is a City" starring Sir Stanley Baker (1960).
This was filmed in and around Manchester and one site contains dozens of stills.
Two show H. WILES' shop next to Lewis' Arcade, with Sir Stanley Baker walking past.
John Holmes.

Holmes

« Reply #8 on: 19:07:38, 29/01/14 »
For Davo:
Sorry mate, didn't read the site correctly, so didn't realise you knew about the Hell is a City connection.
Regards, John H.

davo

« Reply #9 on: 22:08:01, 29/01/14 »
No worries John. Thanks for the heads up anyway. Have you any stories to tell about Wiles?

Holmes

« Reply #10 on: 22:15:19, 29/01/14 »
To Davo:
Sorry mate, although I went to Central Grammar School in Whitworth Street in 1959' I was a a West Gorton lad and never really strayed into Manchester until I was much older, but every reference I have heard seems to say it was the best toy shop in Manchester.
Good luck with your quest Davo, best wishes, John H.

davo

« Reply #11 on: 22:44:30, 29/01/14 »
I'm a Gorton lad. If you remember Donaldson's Corner on Hyde Road, well Wiles was that x10 with cherries on top.

Holmes

« Reply #12 on: 06:01:37, 30/01/14 »
Davo,
I lived on Cambert Lane from 1960' directly opposite Rowsley Street, and Donaldsons was at the far end of Rowsley Street at Hyde Road, and remember it very well.
John.

davo

« Reply #13 on: 21:34:01, 11/02/14 »
Hell is a City with Stanley Baker walking through Lewis' Arcade closely followed by a Lady of the Night.
Wiles Toy Shop windows on the left.

Adsum

« Reply #14 on: 13:51:45, 12/02/14 »
Hell is a City with Stanley Baker walking through Lewis' Arcade closely followed by a Lady of the Night.
Wiles Toy Shop windows on the left.

I have got the DVD of Hell is a City. When they were making the film I worked at Fred Dawes on London Rd and I watched them shooting some of the scenes one lunch time.
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.