Author Topic: H. Wiles toy shop  (Read 24423 times)

lozflan

Re: H. Wiles toy shop
« Reply #30 on: 14:28:02, 18/10/16 »
Wiles window was like peering into Santas grotto.
Can anyone pin point The Long Bar, I only went in once,was it part of the Gaumont?.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

lankylad

« Reply #31 on: 18:36:19, 04/12/16 »
I went to the Model Railway Exhibition in Manchester today and took some photos.

Both of the arcades have been blocked up, the main one between Lewis' and Wiles seems to be a coffee shop. Here is a photo of the secondary arcade which came out round the corner onto Piccadilly Gardens.

Parky

« Reply #32 on: 09:30:49, 05/12/16 »
What an alladins cave that shop was for a young boy , my sisters boyfriend at the time worked there before he joined the fire service, he used to buy me ( probably staff discount) aurora model aircraft ,they were a bigger scale than airfix, happy days.

Superspice

« Reply #33 on: 09:09:39, 19/12/16 »
Worked there around 1964 in the basement, I only worked Saturdays but was responsible for  model railway section and I had a ball, operating the trains along a well constructed track layout.

Happy times the 60's , the 50's too, the days of Belle Vue Speedway, the circus, fun fair and zoo, the the boating lake, ten pin bowling and Top Ten Club.... even Greyhound Racing......it really was  the world's first major theme park! I lived around the corner on Peel Grove, Longsight. Magical.

Peter Mackness

davo

« Reply #34 on: 18:57:58, 21/10/17 »
A job that most kids would have done for nothing I imagine Peter. You lucky man.
I spent a lot of my childhood in Belle Vue and surrounding area. Never once paid to get in. Me and my mates used to scale the walls or run through with the delivery trucks. They were happy days, even though there was not much money about. Got any pics of your time at Wiles?
Best, davo

davo

« Reply #35 on: 19:11:06, 21/10/17 »
lozflan .... Here is a pic of The Long Bar. It was part of The Gaumont cinema

radiogak

« Reply #36 on: 22:45:30, 31/10/17 »
I remember Wiles'. Fantastic shop. After hours, you could put a penny in a slot fitted to the outside of the shop and this would trigger the train set in the window into action. Also remember a giant clown or puppet in one of the windows. Scary sight to a young 'un at night even though you with your mum and dad.

davo

« Reply #37 on: 16:48:46, 03/11/17 »
I can't say I remember the penny slot Radiogak. Always went when it was open and shot straight to the basement. Great that you remebered it must have made an impression.

dbj100

« Reply #38 on: 08:52:03, 07/06/19 »
Downstairs were the too expensive toys: industrial strength fireworks, Dinky Supertoys (car transporter etc), High numbered Meccano sets (with electric motors) and Mamod steam engines. 

sofcookies

« Reply #39 on: 11:14:24, 09/06/19 »
I went to the Model Railway Exhibition in Manchester today and took some photos.

Both of the arcades have been blocked up, the main one between Lewis' and Wiles seems to be a coffee shop. Here is a photo of the secondary arcade which came out round the corner onto Piccadilly Gardens.

When I was a kid and into my late teens this arcade had become a receiving depot with a dock area.  Obviously when Piccadily became pedestrianised and now with the trams it's blocked off as no longer needed.   prevents the homeless congregating in it and also damage being done. 

davo

« Reply #40 on: 22:10:25, 09/06/19 »
I thought this thread had dried up a long time ago, but Hey Ho! I am sorry you missed all the wonder and imagination that toy shop encouraged at that time, for those who could afford the toys and those who couldn't. It was a fantastic journey just walking around the place.

davo

« Reply #41 on: 22:20:12, 09/06/19 »
Radiogak - I think I may have had a flashback. I think I do remember the train set in Wiles' window. It was near the corner of the window on the entrance of Lewis' Arcade on the Piccadilly side (Moseley Street).

MichaelsoT

H Wiles toy shop
« Reply #42 on: 23:20:28, 14/08/19 »
As did Mattimores. Mrs M used to be in the back shop making them early in the morning before she came out to serve. It was probably a family recipe. Never tasted such good stuff since. Happy days.
*Link Removed*

Henry_mup

H Wiles toy shop
« Reply #43 on: 22:21:41, 08/10/19 »
My first Centrepin came from a Junk Shop at Bakers Arms, the centrepin was a G&Y Gipsy Dor, I used it for years until it was nicked from my cottage some 15 years ago, along with a lot of other fishing tackle

A nice pin that taught me a lot.

Bob