Author Topic: Ice Cream merchants  (Read 34147 times)

tony dixon

Re: Ice Cream merchants
« Reply #15 on: 16:35:42, 01/10/10 »
Check this guy out.  Shudehill 1940.

« Last Edit: 23:35:35, 15/01/13 by Chris »

Stesal

« Reply #16 on: 11:10:51, 15/11/10 »
Gerrards are still in the business. They now have Black/Silver liveried vans instead of the brightly coloured ones they used to have. I think they have also successfully applied for & got the tender for Heaton Park as last year there were about 6 of their vans dotted around there? The owner (Guydon) is still alive but apparently his brother (tony) died a few years ago. I once met their Father who had come over from Italy & who came over from Italy & couldn't speak a word of English? That was about 1970's/80's. The reason i know so much about them is because i used to work for them years ago, 12hrs days 7 day's a week! Still, i enjoyed myself thoroughly.--Happy Times!

cheethamgirl

« Reply #17 on: 11:11:59, 22/12/10 »
Anyone remember Lorenzini's Ice Cream Parlour on Cheetham Hill Road?  Back in the 1950s/60s, it was heaven for us kids. They served wonderful tall dishes of ice cream, with bits of ice in, so cold it gave you a headache if you ate it too fast.  They also had the first Gaggia coffee machine I had ever seen.  It was a very rare treat, but I recall every visit. It had very high stone steps leading up to it and the Italian family who ran it loved children.
Author:  'Odd Man Out - A Motiveless Murder?' & 'The Cheetham Hill Murder'

bodzy

« Reply #18 on: 18:58:12, 10/01/11 »
Just a little more input about Sivori's.... In 1933 Sivori's were already a very established cart and van ice cream business, They opened their first "milk -bar" in West Gortons Clowes Street, in their hey day there were six milk bars serving Gorton and they were run by the women of the family leaving the men to do the carts and vans
  In the milk bars the teenagers of Gorton congregated  drinking hot Vimto's ,eating sweets and ice cream and other sweets, even playing push penny (very popular in early days)
Unfortunatly the only one left is operating in Gorton Market, it first opened in 1976 and now is in the refurbished market opened in 2008 where you can still buy ice cream by the litre
There is still a thriving  ice cream factory on Barlow Road West Gorton

From a interview with John Sivori

bodzy

It is with sadness that I report John Sivori died this week , his funeral will be on Thursday
I know John will be sadly missed by the people of Gorton Market but his Son will carry on the business
R.I.P. John Sivori

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 19:25:39, 10/01/11 »
Very sad news R.I.P. but it's good that the Sivori name will be carried on
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

jordanlee

« Reply #20 on: 07:24:42, 02/01/12 »
sivoris is still open its on barlow road levenshulme off mount road i work there theres a shop inside the factory what sells all different size and flavours also sauces and cones etc

charter

« Reply #21 on: 17:08:29, 26/03/12 »
I remember Peter Burgon

shemmy

« Reply #22 on: 14:37:45, 09/04/12 »
I remember Granelli's ice cream van when i lived in Wythenshawe, i think the lady on the van was called Rosie. Also the Marco Rea ice cream van came round.

pinkhazel

« Reply #23 on: 12:29:07, 10/04/12 »
Our local ice-cream van was Conniola...can't recall the mans name..but he was so lovely & jolly..and us kids were facinated by his accent!!.. :smitten:
Any Unattended Children Will Be Given An Expresso & A Free Kitten!!

Greengate Girl

« Reply #24 on: 15:44:12, 10/04/12 »
 O0 Our local ice cream man (horse and cart) and shop where the ice cream was made,
was Serrefains on Greengate in Salford. Yummy!!!!! xxxx
I was as pure as the driven snow, till I drifted. Mae West.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 17:27:07, 10/04/12 »
I think ours was Sivori but not certain, something beginning with an s anyway,  my mother told me he was Italian and came from Santa Margarita ???
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

pinkhazel

« Reply #26 on: 08:08:53, 11/04/12 »
Fan Goola!!...don't ask me what me it means...but I've heard my mum in the past muttering it under her breath!!!... :-\

Stesal

« Reply #28 on: 10:06:54, 19/05/12 »
There was also Seretti's who sold around the Lower Broughton area of Salford. I also remember Serrefains, as i lived 2 doors away from them in Nora Street. The son Tony took over the business from his dad. His Dad was a nice quiet man. Many a time i have a Tanners worth of Ice cream from Mr Seretti, in a glass? Used to "Top" it up with a drop of milk when i got in? lol

pinkhazel

« Reply #29 on: 22:31:23, 20/05/12 »
I remember being able to take a glass to the ice-cream vans!!...If we were in my Grans house she would send me & my brother out with a dish...Good Memories!!... :smitten: ....if we did that nowadays you'd be charged a fortune!!!

Celeste I've just clicked on that link...oh shame on you Mam!!!! :o ...... ;D