Author Topic: Ice Cream merchants  (Read 34144 times)

Christopher

Ice Cream merchants
« on: 17:20:46, 18/05/07 »
Anthony Rea's Manchester's Ancoats Little Italy website mentions many, if not all, of the ice cream merchants in the city. Are they all still in business today? Marco Rea and sons; Vincenzo Schiavo (Vincent's Ices); Carlo Tiani's; Boggiano's (Peter Burgon's); Gerardo Scappaticci (Gerard's Ices); Bernardo Scappaticci (Ben's Ices); Carlo Visco's (Mamma It's Carlo); Rocca's; Pessagno's; Pandolfo's; Trulio's, Sivori's; Raffo's; Meschia's; Granelli's (of Oldham Road); Bacigalupo's; Mattiusi; Luchetti; Cabrelli's; Granelli's (North Road Clayton); Longinotti's; Bertaloni's; Coniola's; Andrucci's (Andrew's); Levaggi's of Denton, and many more. Everyone thought they made the best ice cream. Well Anthony says that, in his humble opinion, the best ice cream in Manchester was made by his father, Loreto Rea! I'm not sure how the Italians managed this but the common Italian surnames in Ireland are different from the ones found in Manchester. 

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Ice Cream merchants
« Reply #1 on: 08:45:31, 19/05/07 »
Only name I recognize there is Granelli, years ago in Sale
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

migky

« Reply #2 on: 11:44:58, 20/05/07 »
I know that there use to be Sivori's in Gorton in the 1960/70's There factory was inbetween Thomas street and Gorton road.
I'm a bit like Marmite

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 11:58:36, 20/05/07 »
yes I've heard of that name

BarbaraH

« Reply #4 on: 21:27:36, 23/06/07 »
Hello Christopher, I read your recent reply on the rootschat site & popped across to look at this one. You can still get Granelli's ice cream all right, I live in Lancaster now and Booths supermarkets stock it. Yum. Have Sivori's gone now? They used to have a place either Chapel St or Barlow Rd in Levenshulme, can't remember which. You could get their ice cream outside of Manchester as well, but I haven't seen it for a whle.
Up here we have Brucciani's of Morecambe, that's good ice cream as well, with a lovely old cafe on the sea front. And the icecream vans seem to be mostly Macari's, don't know if there's a link to Lou Macari formerly  of Man U there?
 :)
Barbara

Ashtonian

« Reply #5 on: 03:41:37, 08/10/07 »
Vincents

twinsmum

« Reply #6 on: 00:27:40, 20/11/07 »
I know that there use to be Sivori's in Gorton in the 1960/70's There factory was inbetween Thomas street and Gorton road.
Sivoris factory was on Thomas Street I can remember going as a small child 60 years ago with bowl I can still smell the vanilla as you went in we lived just round the corner, they didnt have any shops then just the vans that went round.
Laugh and the world Laughs with you cry and you cry alone

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 00:30:49, 20/11/07 »
hi Barbara welcome to the forum  :) hope you'll post regularly

twinsmum

« Reply #8 on: 00:44:26, 20/11/07 »
Thanks celeste I joined a while back then one thing and another forgot all about it, I will be dropping in regularly from now on.
Laugh and the world Laughs with you cry and you cry alone

migky

« Reply #9 on: 12:06:46, 20/11/07 »
Sivoris factory was on Thomas Street I can remember going as a small child 60 years ago with bowl I can still smell the vanilla as you went in we lived just round the corner, they didnt have any shops then just the vans that went round.

LATER IN THE MID 60'S THEY HAD TWO SHOPS, WELL THEY WERE CAFE'S . ONE WAS ON GORTON ROAD A FACING BROOK HOUSE FLATS AND THE OTHER WAS ON CLOWE'S STREET INBETWEEN THE GORTON BROOK PUB AND THE CHESHIRE CHEESE PUB.

MIGKY ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

Roy H

« Reply #10 on: 12:29:04, 20/11/07 »
Thanks celeste I joined a while back then one thing and another forgot all about it, I will be dropping in regularly from now on.

Welcome Barbara, I love the signature!!!  :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 19:59:43, 18/08/10 »
Was in Morecambe a few weeks ago and enjoyed an ice cream at the cafe on the prom.

Incidentally there is a Booths at Knutsford (Cheshire)  don't know of any others locally though.

tony dixon

« Reply #12 on: 11:22:36, 19/08/10 »
I believe that the cafe located in the Mill Gate shopping centre and trading under the name Othello's belongs to the Granelli family. Also heard that Mrs. Granelli now in her 90's is sometimes on site.

bodzy

« Reply #13 on: 05:08:07, 20/08/10 »
Just a little more input about Sivori's.... In 1933 Sivori's were already a very established cart and van ice cream business, They opened their first "milk -bar" in West Gortons Clowes Street, in their hey day there were six milk bars serving Gorton and they were run by the women of the family leaving the men to do the carts and vans
  In the milk bars the teenagers of Gorton congregated  drinking hot Vimto's ,eating sweets and ice cream and other sweets, even playing push penny (very popular in early days)
Unfortunatly the only one left is operating in Gorton Market, it first opened in 1976 and now is in the refurbished market opened in 2008 where you can still buy ice cream by the litre
There is still a thriving  ice cream factory on Barlow Road West Gorton

From a interview with John Sivori

bodzy

bluemikeaway

« Reply #14 on: 11:38:53, 20/08/10 »
 :)
First memory,must be around 1949/50,of Granellis,think it was louis or tony,outside Heywood House.
Horse and cart job.!!Remember my mum taking large bowl which was filled up,also remember miik lollies......