Author Topic: Ice Cream merchants  (Read 34197 times)

Buntyrose

Re: Ice Cream merchants
« Reply #30 on: 08:44:55, 21/05/12 »
Hi everyone.
 My mother tells me that Marco Rea was my godfather!!!!Yay!! O0

tony dixon

« Reply #31 on: 18:38:40, 21/05/12 »
Hulme 1958

« Last Edit: 23:38:33, 15/01/13 by Chris »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 18:46:22, 21/05/12 »

Is it rude pinx? :o  if so may I hang my head in shame :P ;)

wasn't there a song 'gin gan gooly gooly gooly gin gan gool gin gan gool' or something
« Last Edit: 19:24:10, 21/05/12 by celeste »
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Kadgill

« Reply #33 on: 22:39:54, 11/12/12 »
I live on north rd in Clayton next door to old John Granelli he's not in very good health but he used to tell me the story's of his work around Clayton around Francis shaws and such places

Hideaway69

« Reply #34 on: 14:04:05, 12/12/12 »
My local ice cream maker was Perselli's, only a small outfit but their ices were second to none
I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left

kippax

Interesting to see how far these people travelled.
« Reply #35 on: 17:20:56, 12/12/12 »
as a kid in Bredbury in the 70's, on our estate I remember Levaggi's, Sivori's and Granelli's.

pencooper

« Reply #36 on: 11:58:08, 23/06/13 »
I used to go to Granelli's on the Oldham Road  in the 60's

shelleygirl

« Reply #37 on: 16:04:31, 02/08/13 »
My grandfather was one of the Andrew's (Andreucci) clan but  they were not in business in my day. I used to pop into Granelli's at the bottom of Oldham road for my sweets & ice-cream...I went to St Patrick's school close by & used to spend my school holidays in Prussia park....good memories!

dbj100

« Reply #38 on: 19:07:04, 24/11/13 »
Tony Pandolfo used to come into Inverness Avenue, off Victoria Avenue East in the 1950s. Every purchase was concluded with "raspberry?" and as we reached up to collect our cornets the thin scarlet juice would run down our sleeves. My favourite was a 4p twist: a dark, brittle cone with jagged edges and a malty taste. A luxury was a "nugget" cornet: laced with nougat around the brim. The Walls van, in contrast, was boring: [/font]rectangular ice cream blocks in rectangular cornets, and their choc ices had a mere half a millimetre of covering chocolate. [/font][size=0pt][/size]

Jd

« Reply #39 on: 17:30:41, 18/06/20 »
Just a little more input about Sivori's.... In 1933 Sivori's were already a very established cart and van ice cream business, They opened their first "milk -bar" in West Gortons Clowes Street, in their hey day there were six milk bars serving Gorton and they were run by the women of the family leaving the men to do the carts and vans
  In the milk bars the teenagers of Gorton congregated  drinking hot Vimto's ,eating sweets and ice cream and other sweets, even playing push penny (very popular in early days)
Unfortunatly the only one left is operating in Gorton Market, it first opened in 1976 and now is in the refurbished market opened in 2008 where you can still buy ice cream by the litre
There is still a thriving  ice cream factory on Barlow Road West Gorton

From a interview with John Sivori
 The cafe atbthevtop of Clowes Street , opposite the Gorton Brook hotel, was run for a time by one of Johns aunts, Rosie.  One of her brothers was a play mate of mine, Tony If I recall correctly, they were a largish family, and I was always in and out of their shop lower down Clowes Street , at that time I attended Armitage Street school  two or three street behind Sivs shop, and I lived just a few shops up Clowes Street, on the same side of it, in my grandads barber shop, his name was Sid Gibson.   On the next block up was a bakers/cake shop called  Snowdons.   I think Tony attended a catholic school, maybe near the Monastry. .....St. Francis  ?
Anyway,  having left the area in the late 40s, I completely lost touch, but never forgot Rosie, and when later visiting my mother in Brook House flats, in the late 60s I think it was,   I called into the cafe by the Brook hotel for a coffee, and there was my lost dream girl serving.  Lovely Rosie,  unfortunately I had got married to a girl I met in Birkenhead,  so I kept schtum, rather than try to reconnect. So many decades have gone by, but I still occasonally think of my playmate, his family, and especially the beautiful Rosie.

Oh,  for a time machine.

Wayne1

« Reply #40 on: 14:50:39, 01/07/20 »
I remember Rocca’s Ices as he visited our Street which was Reynell Road in Longsight. Good times 😊