Author Topic: manchester sports guild (msg)  (Read 4817 times)

diverden

manchester sports guild (msg)
« on: 21:46:29, 16/10/13 »
can any one remember the mgs in longmill gate ,I  had some great nights there in the 60is,dronney the best folk singer going use to be a regular and mike Harding ,them were the days

Manx

Re: manchester sports guild (msg)
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:03, 01/12/13 »
I suppose a little response to this worthy topic is better than none.

The MSG was a fundamental musical institution with its authentic roots firmly set in Manchester, evolving from its initial jazz beginnings into the more contemporary folk era, progressing with blues/American influenced blues and finally into soul/northern-soul music at the time of its demise. I was a member of the folk club, i also visited the Pendulum club before it closed down.

The excellent article by Jack B. Swinnerton has no equal, it is a long read in eleven page parts - contains much Manchester music scene info' but mainly jazz dominated - enjoy!

http://jazznorthwest.co.uk/msg1.htm

lozflan

« Reply #2 on: 15:18:53, 02/12/13 »
Mentioned before [somewhere] Igave the club a large confederate flag which went on a wall. Jazz everywhere most nights, Bliss.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

H

« Reply #3 on: 00:40:53, 06/12/16 »
Yep. I've seen references to the folk venue being upstairs but I only remember it being the basement. I particularly remember how Martin Carthy demanded hushed respect, which few others got, and perhaps rightly so.

lozflan

« Reply #4 on: 20:04:33, 07/01/17 »
The link from Manx/MSG brought it all back,I dropped out by the 60s.
It must have been the nearness to the band in the Sportsman,the brass vibrating through the bones.
Met my wife to be in the Bodega,although she says it was the Post Office club.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Millie26

« Reply #5 on: 14:33:51, 18/05/19 »
Hi all,

I know none of you may see this but I'm hoping someone may & could please help in anyway that you can!

I am trying to trace my mothers biological father she was adopted at birth and only given very specific details about her father. Apparently his name was Stan (this may not be correct) and he played jazz trumpet at the MSG on weekends in the late 50's early 60's. In 1962 he would of been 27 so would now be 83. My mothers biological mum is Tamara - 'Tammy' Connor / Hynson who was a barmaid at the MSG in the early 60s.

If anyone would be able to help in anyway if they know anyone who went to the MSG who may know these people I would be SO SO grateful to hear from you. - I'm not sure if you can message on here but if not my email address is - millie nelmes @ hotmail.com please please contact me with anything relevant.

Thank you