Author Topic: Cambert Lane Gorton in the 1960's and 1970's  (Read 24027 times)

NorthWalesAce

Re: Cambert Lane Gorton in the 1960's and 1970's
« Reply #15 on: 14:46:08, 16/08/16 »

Wow!

Many thanks for all your help Hideaway69, information and link to the pictures are fantastic.

Back to the numbering - looking at the old Ordnance Survey map, there are  (or were) 9 properties on the other side of the railway bridge, we were the first one after that - No.29, so it doesn't add up, does anybody know if any of the properties in between Hyde Road and Crossley Street were actually flats? That would explain things.

Thank you in advance!
"Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear." E.A. Poe.

Manx

« Reply #16 on: 18:18:08, 16/08/16 »
Okay, i'll chip in, the first shot shows the start of Cambert Lane with Hyde Road running across with the old Gorton Library/ Town Hall turreted building opposite, in the distance was the dog track. On the corner this side was the Three Arrows pub and a row of eight? shop properties then barely detectable low wall of the railway bridge.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33030&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36369

Next shot shows the opposite side of Cambert Lane with the Lake Hotel just visible on Hyde Road. Again about eight properties. After the Palatine wine shop on corner of Crossley Street was one adjoining house and then the railway bridge.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33031&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36370

..with another view showing the railway bridge and the blocks of houses beyond to which you refer to, there was a distinct 'kick' a slight angle set about central of the blocks.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33032&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36352

There were no flats nearby of any kind at that time.

This is the angled block showing eight bay fronted houses nearer to Taylor Street and about seven or eight houses from the railway bridge.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33046&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36362

Together with Hideaway69's block number info' i would try to count the individual houses.

Does this help?
« Last Edit: 18:21:19, 16/08/16 by Manx »

NorthWalesAce

« Reply #17 on: 14:34:20, 17/08/16 »

[size=78%]Thanks Manx.[/size]

"..with another view showing the railway bridge and the blocks of houses beyond to which you refer to, there was a distinct 'kick' a slight angle set about central of the blocks.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33032&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36352"

This image clearly shows the gable end of our house. The houses after the "kink" were eventually demolished (along with most of the rest of the Hyde Road end of Cambert Lane.)

"Next shot shows the opposite side of Cambert Lane with the Lake Hotel just visible on Hyde Road. Again about eight properties. After the Palatine wine shop on corner of Crossley Street was one adjoining house and then the railway bridge.

http://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=33031&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=36370"

This image is of interest,as far as I can count there seems to be 9 properties on the block from Crossley Street to Hyde Road, add that to 2 more - the Shop on the corner and there is a house next door (not shown in this picture but it appears in the one above), so that is 11 properties. We were 29, meaning there had to be 13 numbered properties before ours (not counting the number 13), the "waste" ground in between the railway bridge and us may have had a number because it was some kind of yard. I don't know why this has become so important for me to find out as they had no relevance to me or "my story".

I distinctly remember the houses opposite us and a shop further up. Do you have any idea when that side of CL was demolished? They were definitely gone by 1980, I'm guessing the early 70's.

Many thanks again, all this is much appreciated.

Manx

« Reply #18 on: 23:21:47, 17/08/16 »
I left the area in 1972 but it was at least 12 months or longer before demolition teams came in. I drove down Cambert lane about a year later - some properties remained but were gutted (no slates doors or windows etc') 1974/75 ?

There was indeed an access track by the side of the gable ended house as shown on the manchester WWll bomb maps, enough for a few houses for sure and no bombs damage is shown in that area.

https://s4.postimg.org/4saxd9xj1/Cambert_Lane.jpg

Another old map (the Marr Housing 1904) shows only the block from Taylor Street to "the kink" then only spare land up to the railway (when Cambert Lane was Church Lane)

Only a guess but consider this, to build a house on the corner of Taylor Street and work towards Hyde Road a number would have to be assigned to that house with assumed numbered properties yet to be built in between?

https://s4.postimg.org/njqw7q999/Cambert_2.jpg

NorthWalesAce

« Reply #19 on: 11:05:04, 18/08/16 »
I left the area in 1972 but it was at least 12 months or longer before demolition teams came in. I drove down Cambert lane about a year later - some properties remained but were gutted (no slates doors or windows etc') 1974/75 ?

There was indeed an access track by the side of the gable ended house as shown on the manchester WWll bomb maps, enough for a few houses for sure and no bombs damage is shown in that area.

https://s4.postimg.org/4saxd9xj1/Cambert_Lane.jpg

Another old map (the Marr Housing 1904) shows only the block from Taylor Street to "the kink" then only spare land up to the railway (when Cambert Lane was Church Lane)

Only a guess but consider this, to build a house on the corner of Taylor Street and work towards Hyde Road a number would have to be assigned to that house with assumed numbered properties yet to be built in between?

https://s4.postimg.org/njqw7q999/Cambert_2.jpg

Many thanks Manx.

The first map there is very similar to the 1933 map I was able to purchase, which confused me further as to the number of properties between Hyde Road and "us", which is why I asked the question about flats, or maybe the shops had properties above allocated an individual number.

The second map was really interesting, and yes it sound feasible that  numbers were allocated to houses but not built.

I left number 29 in 1967 but my grandparents lived there until the late 80's, so I was a regular visitor but didn't remember the demolition so thank you for putting a date on it.

Cheers.

PJM

« Reply #20 on: 16:03:26, 23/01/17 »
I was born and brought up in Gorton. I attended Peacock Street school, mis-spent my youth in Belle-Vue and the surrounding areas. I attended church and youth club at the Congo, (Congregrational Church) and worked @ Sturgess butchers for several years as a delivery boy / general dogs body. Starting at Gorton Lane by St James church, Cambert Lane ran down to Hyde Road, with the Three Arrows pub on the corner. Just around the corner on the other side was Sivori's cafe. I used to deliver meat to both places along with many other pubs in the area. I remember a paper shop near the Congo run by a man known locally as "Pop Allan" The entrance was up some large concrete steps. I used to get sweets from there. I remember I used to stand on the railway bridge and watch the steam engines pass by underneath.

NorthWalesAce

« Reply #21 on: 10:47:20, 24/01/17 »
It sounds like you lived there a bit before me, although I do remember watching steam trains from the bridge (my grandad lifted me up), but it was probably one of the last of the steam trains to run.

I lived at 29 until I was 2 years old - as you look up CL towards Sty.James' church, we were the first house on the left after the railway bridge. I seem to remember crossing the road to the even numbers side and walking up CL to a general shop on the corner on the right, but my memory might be playing tricks and it might have been the shop on the corner of CL and Taylor Street that I remember.

spike8888

« Reply #22 on: 20:49:34, 05/10/17 »
Hi,
I came across this site whilst trying to search out a lady who took me to my first concert in 1974 - it was Sparks - and I still see them.
Her name was Elaine Rhodes and she lived at 163 Cambert Lane - Gorton
So having seen this site - does anyone remember her and possibly her whereabouts now?
Cheers
Steve

migky

« Reply #23 on: 18:40:19, 06/10/17 »
Hi Steve & welcome  :)

Was Rhodes  Elaine's maiden name? Any idea of how old she was then or could be now?

Have you tried Facebook?  Here is a link to the Gorton group on F.B.

If her name stayed the same then try 192. com
There are a couple of Elaine Rhodes on there but you have to pay.

Find my past also have the electoral roll, Again you have to pay but they do a 14 trail, just don't forget to cancel after the free period. Here is a link to them

Migky  ;)
I'm a bit like Marmite

spike8888

« Reply #24 on: 23:25:49, 26/01/18 »
Thanks Migky
Her maiden name was Rhodes and she will be about 62 or 63 now. Worked in the Post Office in Manchester in early 1970's
Tried FB but no luck
Cheers anyway
Steve

Luckyforsome13

« Reply #25 on: 23:16:34, 21/09/20 »
To Steve, aka spike8888. I am in touch with Elaine Rhoades.