Author Topic: BRADFORD, Manchester  (Read 19557 times)

Bilfox

Re: BRADFORD, Manchester
« Reply #15 on: 12:38:10, 19/08/19 »
Christ Church rectory is still on Ashton New Road opposite the Etihad but is now a café called Maine Road Café.   The Church was directly behind it on Charlesworth Street, (used to be Church Street), and the school was opposite the church.
            Hope this helps.                                                             

Peggy

« Reply #16 on: 13:09:31, 19/08/19 »
Thank you so much for that. most helpful. xx

stan sandham

« Reply #17 on: 13:01:40, 15/11/19 »
Your spot on with the church Bilfox.I,m new to this site.I lived in Gillingham street the other side of grey mare lane.I went to Bradford memorial from about 1955-61 then to grange street.I palled about with cliff Nixon and mick connor and still meet up in town

Lynwmusic

« Reply #18 on: 22:20:10, 27/01/20 »
I'm looking into my family history.  My mum was Winifred Linihan who lived in Rudkin Street, Bradford, and my dad was Roy Heaviside who lived in Gibbon Street.  The houses are all demolished now but I have memories of trolley buses on Ashton New Road, and my mum worked at Clayton Aniline from about 1950.  My dad was a draughtsman with Mather and Platts in Newton Heath.  My memories are a bit hazy as the houses and parts of the streets were demolished in the 60s -70s but I'd love to find out more.  Any help would be gratefully received.  Thank you.
Linda Worrall [nee Heaviside]

lozflan

« Reply #19 on: 09:32:15, 28/01/20 »
Gibbon St had the barbed wire dept. for Richard Johnson @ Nephew,afterwards a carpark for the Co. I saw a rabbit there in 1972,nature making a comeback.
The St was near,Phillips Park Press and Granellies Icecream makers.
Not sure if it is now covered by the Superstore facing the City Stadium.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

krisbrookz

« Reply #20 on: 21:01:11, 30/01/20 »
Hi Lynwmusic,  your mum Winifred 1934-2008 ? although I never met her was my 3rd cousin and was her mum Annie Potts/Linihan ?  The name Heaviside is a rare one but one I remember from school... Alan and Dennis... I think Alan was my 'sixer' in the Scouts at Saint Oswalds Collyhurst. I'm on 'Ancestry' and got the dates from there.   :)

Beswickroots

« Reply #21 on: 07:27:01, 17/06/20 »
Hi
Has anyone else comes up with a clear picture of Christ Church Bradford / Beswick yet?

My grandparents (John William Cash & Edith Gray) were married there in 1941.  :smitten: They lived on the corner of Old Mill Street and School Street in Beswick / Bradford (just along from St Bridgets RC Church). They had three children - John Robert (aka Bob); Harold and Christine.
 My Gran's mother ran a grocery or greengrocers somewhere in the area, but I don't know where. My father mentioned that whenever he took an apple to school for lunch, his school mate would wait around to eat the left over core. He also told me that at the weekend, he and his mates would 'go play with the heavy machinery and operate the overhead cranes in the factories near by'. :o I think this is 'tresspassing' if not 'breaking and entering'

My Grandfather was a pasionate supporter of Man City. When his daughter (my Auntie Christine) was planning her wedding, he told her she could pick any day except when Man City were not playing at home. When this 'condition' was ignored / forgotten, my Grandad missed the wedding by insisting on watching his team play at Maine Road. He returned later in time for the 'Reception.' ::)
When the whole area was demolished in the 1970s  (save for the church which was demolished in 1995), they moved to a new 'Council' house in Ramage Walk near (Ashton New Road). Several relatives and neighbours were also rehoused nearby - including a nice lady called Ave and also Great Auntie Nellie (Sutton nee Cash). She lived with (& looked after) my great grandmother (Mary Cash nee Hargreaves), who I recall visiitng as a young child. She lived long enough to recieve a 100th Birthday 'telegram' from HM the Queen on  15 July 1980.  :)
Granddad was a 'bevan boy' at Bradford Colliery during WW2 and after the war, he was employed at Johnson Bros Wire Works until his retirement. Gran was a skilled seamstress and I think worked near Grey Mare Lane. They died in 1980 and 1997 respectively and their ashes were scattered (over the same rose bed) at Buckenfield.  :(
All my grandparents siblings have passed away now except (I believe) for the youngest. Hopefully I am correct in saying that Great Aunt Ruth (Mcdonald nee Cash) will be celebrating her 100th birthday sometime this year. ;D

Beswickroots

« Reply #22 on: 07:51:32, 17/06/20 »
 :-[ Sorry all, but I had no sooner posted that last entry of mine, when i came across a good image showing the public facade of Christ Church, Beswick on another website.

As I can't post an external link here, I can only direct you to search for 'Manchester Archives Plus' and 'Online Memory Box - Beswick'

Enjoy! :D

lozflan

« Reply #23 on: 07:59:22, 17/06/20 »
Hi, Mrs Loz is a Bradford girl,knew Billy Piddington.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Parky

« Reply #24 on: 08:57:01, 17/06/20 »
My dad and came from Bradford ,birch st

Beswickroots

« Reply #25 on: 01:15:28, 19/06/20 »
My father (John Robert Cash) went to Grange Street School.
I remember him telling me that there were pieces of glass mixed in with the mortar (between the bricks). This acted as some sort of 'early warning' system should subsidence (due to mining at the nearby Bradford Colliery) start to affect the school site/buildings. Both his younger siblings, his brother (Harold) and sister (Christine) presumably went to the same school. Perhaps they were in your year?
I asked him about his grandmother's shop and apparently it was called 'Gray's Greengrocers' and was located on Wellington Street, near the Co-op.

[email protected]

« Reply #26 on: 12:56:45, 19/02/21 »
Hi I would like to ask if any one has any Picture of grange street school from55,56 AND ALSO OF ST Adians church that was where I was christened
Or even any pictures of grange street itself where I lived until I was 11 then we moved to cheshire

Manx

« Reply #27 on: 10:54:51, 20/02/21 »
Saint Aiden Church, Whyatt Street.

(ref: Openshaw per photo database) but Bradford in church records). I was also christened there, as a toddler i attended the adjacent nursery where we had junket for breakfast.

exterior view (1964) with council nursery

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=53804&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=18410

interior view (1969)

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=53807&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=18409

St Aiden Church undertook and recorded, births, deaths, marriages, baptisms and confirmations.
 -------------------------
Grange Street Junior School, Bradford (1964)

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=58730&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=64980

Grange Street (1964) school tower in distance.

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=10047&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=1535

regards

Davina

« Reply #28 on: 17:48:02, 23/02/21 »
Hi!

Sorry for jumping on to this post but I have been searching for all and any information about my mums side of the family for over a year....found a few little bits names and census info but nothing fantastic like you see on the Family Tree programme Who do you think you are!! So I was clutching at straws and just googled a random list of streets along with Bradford, Manchester which gave me the photo of the corner of both my mum's old streets Bell Street and Barmouth Street which brought me to here......I can not even tell you how happy I was. :D :D :D
I would love any information about this area etc that could possibly lead to me finding more information about my grandads family (Surname: Hall.........I dont want to put too much info on and get kicked off ;) )
Areas that would lead to finding them may involve:
London Northern and Eastern Railway employees

Where the men(of my grandads age DOB 1914) would have joined the army and any pics would be an absolute delight!
The Clock Face and local pubs
Bell Street from 1914-1962 Barmouth Street after 1962.
Any help would be just FANTASTIC!!!!
Fingers crossedDavina

Manx

« Reply #29 on: 17:58:34, 15/04/21 »
For Davina

Baths and Wash Houses, Barmouth Street (1964)

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=65817&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=29781

Bell Street from Gresham Street (1964)

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=19943&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=30151

The Clock Face Hotel, Ashton Old Road (1960) with what remains of the Royal Cinema on next block.

https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=44366&reftable=ecatalogue&refirn=9909

The "Manchester Geneology" board is best for discussing family histories.

regards
Manx