Author Topic: Startup programs in system configuration  (Read 1982 times)

MARYELLEN

Startup programs in system configuration
« on: 13:10:48, 28/05/14 »
Not very computer savvy - my computer is very, very, slow.  Have done what I know how to to clean it up, but I have got 19 items in the Startup on System Config., but don't know which I need and which I don't, so am uneasy about removing any of them.  Don't really understand what they are for.  If I removed them from Startup, are they still on my computer somewhere, and would they automatically come into action :( again if I need them?

mel the bell

Re: Startup programs in system configuration
« Reply #1 on: 19:12:23, 04/06/14 »
not sure what you mean by system configuration??
whenever i get a new puter, install windows from fresh or fix somebodys puter i always stop as many programs from starting as i can, it hogs resources having lots of processes and programs running that you dont need to
how do i do that?
start menu/programs/run/msconfig in windows now you may have to add the run dialogue box yourself by right clicking on the start menu and selecting properties/customise (in windows 7 and below anyway)
click and open the run menu and type msconfig click on startup

right whats safe to stop from running? almost everything tbh, specially stuff like adobe, nero, itunes, quicktime, java etc any other program names / vendors you know
what do i leave?
my security software, in my case commodo and avast, i leave them ticked
also
anything that looks like it might be for my motherboard, especially graphics etc
in this case the programs dont get deleted they still work, they just get disabled from automatically starting when windows boots up, if i need say adobe i click it when i want it, not when they say it should run
if youre confused or need other info i dont come on this site often but leave a message, ill see it eventually lol
You sir, are a buffoon

lozflan

« Reply #2 on: 21:23:06, 21/09/14 »
Something on those lines, just had the most horrendous 2 weeks. Changed provider, new router and security, then things started to act up, sites wouldn't load, so Idid a refresh/recover. Important stuff would be safe it said, b
u
t recently installed, not so. Security disappeared and so did my wireless printer which Ihav'nt got back yet!
The help forums and help sites are full of similar printer stories.  Some even advise"download and print" not funny ha ha.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

lozflan

« Reply #3 on: 20:56:03, 23/09/14 »
Another awful day, on help lineswith faint voices [foreign as usual] one gave up after hr.trying to get shared screen, to connect printer to router. The printer[new] I had installed, but would not connect until Java was downloaded OFF Line, Did this and now finished ok.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason