Author Topic: moving to manchester  (Read 4318 times)

moving to manchester
« on: 17:32:44, 09/12/05 »
We are thinking about moving to the manchester area and were wondering what the employmant scene is like? would it be hard to get into a job right away? what would renting a 3 bedroom house cost on average? what is it like to live there and what do you think that the biggest changes would be moving from canada? please email me soon at [email protected]

phillipq

Re: moving to manchester
« Reply #1 on: 14:06:56, 14/01/06 »
i would say that there will be plenty of jobs in manchester as it is such a big city

tommy1

« Reply #2 on: 15:21:59, 02/04/06 »
dont do it ?? why the hell do you want to live here its was a nice place but going downhill rapido

peterw

« Reply #3 on: 23:26:56, 10/04/06 »
The employment scene depends on what you do for a living. In IT it’s quite good, but in many other spheres there’s unemployment. Can’t tell you how much a house would cost to rent unless you tell me in which part of the city you’d like to live. Some areas are more pricey than others.

I came to Manchester in 1951 when jobs were fairly easy to get. I’m actually a Yorkshireman but I’ve made my home here and to be honest Manchester provided me with opportunities that I never believed possible.

There’s something about the place. It’s historic, it’s vibrant, it’s the city I’ll never leave because I love it dearly. Life is what you make it, so think hard before you make your decision. It’s a ‘young’ city, so in you’re over 40 you might find work scarce.

My advice is have a holiday here and look around. Best wishes either way.
Funny things happen to me on my way to the Forum

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14:26:49, 19/04/06 »
I’m actually a Yorkshireman but I’ve made my home here...

Don't tell the folks back home. You'll be crucified for being a traitor. ;)

peterw

« Reply #5 on: 05:36:12, 21/04/06 »
I’ve already told ’em on Sheffield Forum, but I claimed that all Yorkshiremen in Manchester arrived as missionaries and I’m one of the few they didn’t eat!
Funny things happen to me on my way to the Forum

elora*

« Reply #6 on: 14:19:19, 28/04/06 »
hi, i'm currently living in sheffield and looking to move to manchester, i'd be looking to rent either council or housing association property, can anyone advise me on where not to apply? as i really have no clue whatsoever where the bad areas are... thanks

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 23:33:33, 20/05/06 »
hi, i'm currently living in sheffield and looking to move to manchester, i'd be looking to rent either council or housing association property, can anyone advise me on where not to apply? as i really have no clue whatsoever where the bad areas are... thanks

Is it Manchester city centre you're looking at or the wider Greater Manchester area?