Author Topic: Chorlton-upon-Medlock site clearance 1965  (Read 33605 times)

Bowersie52

Re: Chorlton-upon-Medlock site clearance 1965
« Reply #30 on: 22:29:13, 02/03/15 »
I was brought up in Honduras Street, Chorlton on Medlock from 1952 to 1967 when the street was demolished to make way for the development of Manchester University. I remember a square wooden patch on my bedroom ceiling that my mother said was a repair to damage caused by an unexplored incendiary bomb dropped as part of air attacks on the nearby Dunlops rubber factory

Wellmore

« Reply #31 on: 11:20:35, 13/03/15 »
Hello - another angle on the Cowcill Street post.

This is my family name - the family seems to have originated in the Farnsworth/Worsley area with many members as colliers. One descendant was involved in local politics in Manchester and I believe that is the origin of the street name. 

J[size=78%]ust so happens that I was also in Manchester in 1966 and can also recall the house and district clearance as seen from the top of a bus on my daily way to UMIST down Oxford Road.  [/size]

I believe I can just recall the corner of Cowcill Street still standing (would be late 66/early 67). Strange as three generations of my family were Manchester graduates, one at Owens, two at UMIST.  Happy days...

Barry

« Reply #32 on: 08:15:51, 16/05/18 »
Dundalk Street is the extension of Cowcill Street when travelling southwards across Ludlow Street.   My gran was living at 81 Ludlow Street when she received the tragic news that her son James had been KIA in Normandy  in August 1944.

paperboy

« Reply #33 on: 15:39:43, 17/05/18 »
Hi Everyone,

When my family moved over from Ireland in 1957/8, I was just three years old. we lived in a upstairs flat on (what was then) high Street, now Hathersage (?) Road, opposite the shops and the corner of Carmoor Rd. The row of houses were demolished around 1960 to make way for a new convent, which I believe is now student accommodation.

We moved around the corner to Summer Street (11) and lived there until the clearances, we moved out in 1972, one of the last families to leave the street. Mam and Dad and six kids in a two up two down, with an outside loo, and a single cold water tap in the scullery. I remember the cobbled road and flagged pavement before they covered it over with tarmac.

Went to St Josephs at the top of Daisy Bank Rd, and then to St.Pius X. My older siblings went to Stafford House before it closed down. We were one of the 'Irish' families mentioned earlier. Funny, but until just now, I never thought of C-on-M as being a 'little Ireland'...but now I think about it...

Dad worked as a fitter on the Railway (Old Trafford, and later at Longsite), Mam pulled her hair out looking after the six of us. I remember the illegal bookies in a back yard half way down July Street, before the legal bookies opened by the zebra crossing on Upper brook St. Me and my mates hanging around the front door of the Blackstock with our Guy each year....making a packet from the drunks. Trying to build a bigger bomb fire at the bottom of Jun Street then the May Street gang had built at the bottom of their street.

High Street baths everyday in the summer holidays (got in free if you had a pass saying you could swim a length), red eyes, smelling of chlorine, and the hot vimto from the little shop down stairs. Cockroaches in the changing cubicles added to the experience. Glad to see the building has been rescued. I look back on my childhood growing up in Chorlton-on-Medlock with gratitude and great fondness.   

Saw Manchester last in 2009 when I returned to see my dying father.....what have they done with the place?

Happy Days!

Dorothyl

« Reply #34 on: 12:46:35, 26/07/18 »
Hi everyone.
I'm not sure if I have already asked.
But can anyone help me with  photos of  59.Rusholme road cholton on Medlock Manchester. And 192 upper brook Street cholton on Medlock Manchester.   And 40 Rumford street cholton on Medlock Manchester.  There all around the 1930's. 

Thank you for your time and help.

Dorothy

paperboy

« Reply #35 on: 13:13:44, 26/07/18 »
Hi Dorothy,
Yep...you have asked already. Unless someone on here happens to have photos of the addresses you are looking for, I think you're best taking Marj's advice from your previous post and look on the Manchester Library site. I've found some great images of C-on-M on there.

Seeker

« Reply #36 on: 17:05:32, 24/10/18 »
Hi There,
            I am very much a newbie not just to this site but to forums full stop, so please forgive any mistakes on my part re the protocol. I have recently been looking into my family history as although I was aware I was adopted, I only recently discovered I was born in Chorlton-on-Medlock  at number 19, Plymouth Grove in November 1958.
My mother's name is Jessie Mansell and I am trying to find her or any of her relatives. Her maiden name was Satchell. I have a photograph of the house where I was born which I obtained from Manchester History Society and consequently I am also trying to get as much information as I can re the area where I was born.
Basically trying to fill in the blanks from my past and obtain as much information about my mother as possible and what her life was like. I have read some posts on the site re the delivering of babies being rather like call the midwife just to get an idea of what my mother's experience would have been like for her just anything i can learn about her/or her experiences of my birth would be great or any help of where I can turn to get help or information re how I could go about  finding her/her relatives would be fantastic so thanks for taking the time to read this.

Parky

« Reply #37 on: 18:00:13, 24/10/18 »
Hi seeker ,I wish you all the best with your quest  O0

Seeker

« Reply #38 on: 14:25:22, 25/10/18 »
Hi Parky
Thank-you. Hound out the name of GP my mother took me to a Dr. H.J.Reynolds so trying to find the address of the surgery in relation to where my mum lived as I said I want to know as much as poss to get a picture/idea in my mind of her and how she lived and what her life was like.
Thanks again
 :)

Parky

« Reply #39 on: 15:00:53, 25/10/18 »
Not sure if you’ve tried this but there is a chorlton upon medlock  Facebook page 👍

riksta

« Reply #40 on: 01:10:01, 26/10/18 »
Hi Seeker
I think the address of surgery maybe Darbishire House situated on the corner of Hathersage Rd and Upper Brook St...it is no longer a surgery but there is a Robert Darbishire practice close by.

carvil52

« Reply #41 on: 10:45:44, 26/10/18 »
Try facebook Just Chorlton On Medlock, I am sure the members on there will be able to help

Seeker

« Reply #42 on: 19:00:31, 01/11/18 »
Hi all,
         Thanks for the replies forums really are a first step for me and from your replies it appears I will have to bite a major bullet and try face book. Thanks so much for the info re the doctors surgery every step is a great help to me feeling just that little step closer.
So thanks again O0

Cook

Honduras St
« Reply #43 on: 18:05:51, 31/07/21 »
Hi Bowersie52

Are you Terry Bowers?  I lived at the end of Honduras St and was born in 1952 .  If so we went to Ormond St School with Jeff Johnson

Bobby0810

« Reply #44 on: 16:56:42, 16/07/22 »
Hi I’m wondering if anyone knows or a lady called Agnes yallop from Ludlow street chorlton on medlock around 1960
Thanks I’m advance