Author Topic: Newton heath  (Read 24832 times)

Parky

Re: Newton heath
« Reply #15 on: 22:16:17, 08/11/17 »
Hi beanie ,Mmmm That’s a hard one ,I think it would have to be answered by someone who lives there ,I loved growing up there but obviously things change, but I’m always proud to say that I’m from Newton Heath  :)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #16 on: 07:52:41, 09/11/17 »
We've lived Newton Heath since 1981 and raised my two kids here and in general it"s been fine, but I think that Parky is better off holding on to the area as he knew it, I lived I. Cheetham Hill in the 60's and 70's but wouldn't live there now.
« Last Edit: 08:15:24, 09/11/17 by St Chads Lad »

Parky

« Reply #17 on: 09:30:30, 09/11/17 »
Yes indeed scl my only criticism of Newton Heath is as I’ve said before that the council have not spent money on shopping area ie demise of the market  as they have on the south side of Manchester , I still have relatives there (dwindling sadly) but they tell of a community spirit where they are , O0

St Chads Lad

« Reply #18 on: 09:48:02, 09/11/17 »
Maybe if we had a few riots and burned down and looted the area something might have been done, after all it worked for Moss Side, and aside from that the area's councillors are a waste of time, but people keep voting for them.

Parky

« Reply #19 on: 10:30:28, 09/11/17 »
Maybe if we had a few riots and burned down and looted the area something might have been done, after all it worked for Moss Side, and aside from that the area's councillors are a waste of time, but people keep voting for them.
exactly my point my friend

beanie

« Reply #20 on: 01:38:40, 25/11/17 »
Cheers for the replies guys! Yeah it doesn’t seem that the housing association really care very much either, the bathroom is in a terrible condition with no shower, also a number of other issues. You would have thought in 2017 that they would sort this stuff out. I did ask but they said i’d have to fund a shower myself.
Kind Regards,

Beanie.

PinningtonJack

« Reply #21 on: 02:39:37, 29/11/17 »
Although I lived in Gorton, I used to spend a lot time in Newton Heath. In the 1950s I used to visit a friend who had a wonderful hi-fi system and a large collection of jazz records. I  could get to NH on the 67 bus, but had to get three buses to get home. My friend Paul lived in the end cottage of terraced row on an unsealed area off Briscoe Lane. The jazz was  very enjoyable unless the wind was in the wrong direction. You see there was a pig sty next door!. I also used to play proper bowls in a park in NH, but have forgotten it's name.
Cheers
Jack

Parky

« Reply #22 on: 09:19:40, 29/11/17 »
Although I lived in Gorton, I used to spend a lot time in Newton Heath. In the 1950s I used to visit a friend who had a wonderful hi-fi system and a large collection of jazz records. I  could get to NH on the 67 bus, but had to get three buses to get home. My friend Paul lived in the end cottage of terraced row on an unsealed area off Briscoe Lane. The jazz was  very enjoyable unless the wind was in the wrong direction. You see there was a pig sty next door!. I also used to play proper bowls in a park in NH, but have forgotten it's name.
Cheers
Jack
brookdale park perhaps jack? Or maybe Gaskell st Park

PinningtonJack

« Reply #23 on: 14:40:27, 29/11/17 »
It was Brookdale Park.
Thanks
Parky

GORDON WOODS

« Reply #24 on: 20:22:15, 30/11/17 »
Some more flashbacks as a young boy in Newton Heath  ....... * UCLA  ( Uncle Charlie's Lunatic asylum My dad used to call it )      * Walking over Jacksons brickworks to get to the Magnet cinema on Saturday mornings. * Jumping off the "Camels Hump " on Jacksons brickworks .
* Crossing the locks to the other side of the canal .    *  "The Square Pond " between the brickworks and the canal ( legend had it there was a giant pike in there but cant remember what they called it )       * Hague street junior school       *Watching Barker street brigade with roses in their caps marching in the Whit walks .       * Having a great time when the fair set up every year on the red reck .       *B&C Motorcycles  shop down Oldham Rd       *Wiggie Annie walking around shouting and swearing at averyone   * Watching the huge overhead gantry cranes , and the  billowing smoke fires they set of at Mather and Platt's to test the equipment .        * The company bus from "Lawtex " in failsworth crawling along at 5 MPH in thick pea soup fogs trying to get everyone home.      *  "Midge forest " which was really a big clump of bushes at the bottom of Ten Acres Lane near the arches.      * Gilberts TV shop on church st where my mum "Rented" a black & white TV for probably 20 yrs !!!       * My Nana moving into the new high rise block of flats on Scotland Hall Rd. Building a huge bonfire every year in the middle of Staplehurst  rd, and all the tarmac and concrete being cracked and ruined afterwards .  * The small Co-Op on the corner of Briscoe lane and Ten Acres Lane, I think the manager was calles Walter.

A big list, but may hopefully jog the memory of any other old Newton Heather's

Cheers
Gordon

Parky

« Reply #25 on: 09:44:34, 01/12/17 »
Wow Gordon!. The square pond I’d forgotten all about that,  the other things you mentioned yes I remember them , also the ferranti workers bus chugging along , on a cold day we used to stand outside the bricked up ovens at Jackson’s brick works at the end of Mitchell st to get warm, those high rise flats you mentioned before they were built we used to play on the waste land known as the “ollers”, there was also a number of allotments there , every summer for a week or so we had the “Clayton wars” where gangs of lads from Newton Heath and Clayton would fight against each other across Clayton vale , I say “fight” it just used to be chasing each other to and fro ;D . Happy innocent days :smitten: .ps re Gilbert’s we used to rent tellys off them they broke down that much I used to know the tv repair mans name frank and I was only a kid.

Parky

« Reply #26 on: 12:21:40, 01/12/17 »
Some more flashbacks as a young boy in Newton Heath  ....... * UCLA  ( Uncle Charlie's Lunatic asylum My dad used to call it )      * Walking over Jacksons brickworks to get to the Magnet cinema on Saturday mornings. * Jumping off the "Camels Hump " on Jacksons brickworks .
* Crossing the locks to the other side of the canal .    *  "The Square Pond " between the brickworks and the canal ( legend had it there was a giant pike in there but cant remember what they called it )       * Hague street junior school       *Watching Barker street brigade with roses in their caps marching in the Whit walks .       * Having a great time when the fair set up every year on the red reck .       *B&C Motorcycles  shop down Oldham Rd       *Wiggie Annie walking around shouting and swearing at averyone   * Watching the huge overhead gantry cranes , and the  billowing smoke fires they set of at Mather and Platt's to test the equipment .        * The company bus from "Lawtex " in failsworth crawling along at 5 MPH in thick pea soup fogs trying to get everyone home.      *  "Midge forest " which was really a big clump of bushes at the bottom of Ten Acres Lane near the arches.      * Gilberts TV shop on church st where my mum "Rented" a black & white TV for probably 20 yrs !!!       * My Nana moving into the new high rise block of flats on Scotland Hall Rd. Building a huge bonfire every year in the middle of Staplehurst  rd, and all the tarmac and concrete being cracked and ruined afterwards .  * The small Co-Op on the corner of Briscoe lane and Ten Acres Lane, I think the manager was calles Walter.

A big list, but may hopefully jog the memory of any other old Newton Heather's

Cheer
Gordon
UCLA was that the dry cleaners ?

David d Gribben

« Reply #27 on: 14:28:56, 01/12/17 »

I remember the Forest at the bottom of Ten Acres Lane but in Clayton we called it the little forest, always had to be on the look out for Newtneathers.

Parky

« Reply #28 on: 15:01:53, 01/12/17 »

I remember the Forest at the bottom of Ten Acres Lane but in Clayton we called it the little forest, always had to be on the look out for Newtneathers.
. I think you “Claytoners” :)  called the “Clayton wars” the “raids” if I’m not mistaken.

David d Gribben

« Reply #29 on: 17:08:34, 01/12/17 »

Yes the raids, I was born in 1942 a couple of streets from the Vale on the Clayton Estate, I think the Raids /Wars had been going on before I was born.