Author Topic: Newton heath  (Read 24844 times)

Tom

Re: Newton heath
« Reply #45 on: 21:23:49, 22/10/19 »
Knew them well , the beautiful co op building is now virtually destroyed just the frontage standing ( just) and has been left in that state for quite a few years ,  wry sad.

ChirpyCheep

« Reply #46 on: 21:07:51, 14/08/20 »
Evans Bellhouse was great for playing hide and seek in and all the other empty buildings!  And Barnes's paper mill near the market,  all those big chains and pulleys. Our zip wires, though well before any of us knew what a zip wire was!

Tom

« Reply #47 on: 22:11:20, 18/08/20 »
Nice to hear about Newton heath. My father worked at Evans Bellhouse during and after the war until the early 60's when he had a serious accident, fortunately recovering. I used to visit the works and had to wait under the clock until 6 when I could go in. We shopped at the coop opposite and then home. From the end of the war the works held a Christmas party for children and staff. Very exciting at a time when food and entertainment were limited and rationing was in force. Of the senior staff there I remember Mr Porkess ,a director, Raymond Moore and Mr Kenneth Ripper the Managing Director. (His nickname amongst the workforce was "Jack ", but we were strictly forbidden from mentioning  that on site!) .Bellhouses also had a site on City Rd in Stretford and were linked to William Kay's in Bolton. Happy memories. Tom.

Parky

« Reply #48 on: 22:56:01, 18/08/20 »
Hi tom my mam used to clean there in the evenings in the early sixties , Fred hall was a driver who every week dropped off  a couple of sacks of off cuts for the coal fire

St Chads Lad

« Reply #49 on: 21:58:06, 09/01/21 »

A Newton Heath landmark bites the dust this weekend, after years of neglect the derelict Co-op building is being demolished, quite sad really.

ChirpyCheep

« Reply #50 on: 22:28:14, 09/01/21 »
I passed this once lovely building on the bus yesterday, I was shocked as last I had heard the facade was being kept. I have many good memories of going in there when I was a kid and it upset me a bit seeing the empty shell that's left and then reading in the paper that it's to be demolished. 

Parky

« Reply #51 on: 08:02:41, 10/01/21 »
I passed this once lovely building on the bus yesterday, I was shocked as last I had heard the facade was being kept. I have many good memories of going in there when I was a kid and it upset me a bit seeing the empty shell that's left and then reading in the paper that it's to be demolished.
It has now been demolished ( what was left of it ) it is now a pile of bricks and knowing the council it will still be a pile of bricks there in 2035.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #52 on: 09:50:09, 10/01/21 »
I've also noticed Jackson's brickworks mentioned, there are now plans to develop the site:

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/yhg-plots-1100-newton-heath-homes/

Parky

« Reply #53 on: 11:05:19, 10/01/21 »
I've also noticed Jackson's brickworks mentioned, there are now plans to develop the site:

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/yhg-plots-1100-newton-heath-homes/
That’s the land fc United of Manchester ground was meant to be built before they ended up in moston , we lived on Mitchell st where further up the brick ovens were

Tom

« Reply #54 on: 21:44:46, 21/01/21 »
Very sad about the co-op. I have many happy memories of shopping there and playing by the canal at the back. Crossing it by walking on the gates was exciting if not recommended!

Parky

« Reply #55 on: 21:46:15, 21/01/21 »
Very sad about the co-op. I have many happy memories of shopping there and playing by the canal at the back. Crossing it by walking on the gates was exciting if not recommended!
Yes I fell in

Tom

« Reply #56 on: 20:59:27, 22/01/21 »
By the state of the water you were lucky to survive! Platt fields lake was not pleasant to paddle in. Thick very smelly mud on the bottom. You had to swill yourself under a tap before venturing home.

St Chads Lad

« Reply #57 on: 09:14:19, 12/06/21 »
The site of the old Newton Heath market is to be developed

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/manchester-tables-newton-heath-proposals/

Parky

« Reply #58 on: 09:44:49, 12/06/21 »
Hope it’s nothing like the old co op building shambles

St Chads Lad

« Reply #59 on: 13:43:24, 12/06/21 »
Church st. shops could do with a tidy up too, it looks like a shanty town.