Author Topic: Man Fang  (Read 6136 times)

Jdennon

Man Fang
« on: 19:04:25, 17/05/17 »
Does anybody remember the Man Fang Chinese restrauant in Piccadilly I believe it was one of the first in Manchester, was it located below the Burtons menswear shop ?

David d Gribben

Re: Man Fang
« Reply #1 on: 18:11:15, 20/05/17 »
We went to the Man Fang a lot in the late fifties early sixties, I remember it was facing the Gardens but don't  remember exactly where.

Jc01

« Reply #2 on: 11:55:21, 24/05/17 »
Mam took me after my 1st day at Central Grammar (Whitworth Street) in 1961. It was in the same block as the old Woolworths, opposite Piccadilly Gardens. Probably cost her more than she had earned, but a fascinating experience for a restaurant virgin!

rob

« Reply #3 on: 10:49:25, 02/06/17 »
Hi all, yes remember it well, went a few times, and took my young daughter about 1970-71, had soup, and when the main came, my toddler daughter said , "'another dinner', so one of those remember moments  :)

Keungsta

« Reply #4 on: 22:11:46, 30/01/18 »
Does anybody remember the Man Fang Chinese restrauant in Piccadilly I believe it was one of the first in Manchester, was it located below the Burtons menswear shop ?

My dad was part owner in the restaurant, the bbc was a few doors up back then and famous people used to come in

Keungsta

« Reply #5 on: 22:12:57, 30/01/18 »
Mam took me after my 1st day at Central Grammar (Whitworth Street) in 1961. It was in the same block as the old Woolworths, opposite Piccadilly Gardens. Probably cost her more than she had earned, but a fascinating experience for a restaurant virgin!
My father was the head chef and part owner in the restaurant

Jade

« Reply #6 on: 00:00:20, 09/02/19 »
Hi,
I’ve just come across this thread and I was hoping someone could help me? I’m trying to trace my grandfather who worked at man fang in 1962 and went by the English name of Fred?
Any help or connection would be very much appreciated

Wading In

« Reply #7 on: 09:33:15, 08/03/19 »
I think that was the first 'proper' restaurant I ever went to. My mum used to take us for special occasions and I always remember going down those stairs and it being quite dark and (to my impressionable eyes) exciting. That was 40+ years ago and I still remember that I used to order halibut, and for some reason the coke (which always had plenty of ice and lemon) tasted better than any other coke.  :smitten:

MrsB

« Reply #8 on: 11:35:18, 16/12/23 »
Just found this thread. Yes, I remember it fondly as the first Chinese restaurant I had ever been to. I remember going down some steep steps from Piccadilly Gardens and it was in the basement. I went with a group from my Youth Club. Our vicar Mr Weeks took us. He had been in the Korean war, and taught us to use chopsticks. We had a large table and he ordered all the dishes which we sampled. It was a fantastic experience. I was only about 15 and am now 71 and still remember it fondly.