Author Topic: Hightown Manchester 8  (Read 4319 times)

Fay Hocking

Hightown Manchester 8
« on: 04:42:10, 29/01/18 »
I used to live in Hightown, Manchester 8, for 19 years from 1941 to 1960 when I migrated to Australia with my family. We lived at 4 Thirlmere Street, Hightown, and my family name was Finklestein (Finlay).
Thirlmere Street ran off Heywood Street and I remember so many of the places and the people that I have read about in the Manchester Forum.
I remember: - the garages on Heywood Street, Radivan's shop which was on the corner of Thirlmere and Heywood Streets, in fact I used to have a little job there. Margolis's, the Library, Travis's newsagency and sweet shop and I remember most of the streets around the area. I remember Mrs Falk's shop in her house in Huxley Avenue, the wool shop in Elizabeth Street, the Temple School, which I used to attend in my primary years. I was in the area just three weeks' ago as I was visiting my family in London and Formby and went to my old area and, of course, it was hard to sort things out once I was there. I actually found Lytton Avenue still standing as I remembered it all those years' ago, and a school called the Temple but wasn't sure if this actually was my school as my orientation was all over the place. I saw Bellot Street and some other recognisable street names and I knew I was in the right area. I couldn't locate Heywood Street but I think I was close. I was looking for the garages that were on Heywood Street and opposite Thirlmere Street. Thirlmere Street, where I used to live, has been demolished as I discovered on a previous visit many years' ago. I saw Bury New Road, Elizabeth Street, Cheetham Hill Road, which I kind of recognised here and there. I located Waterloo Road where my secondary school was near the corner of Derby Street and Waterloo Road, but I couldn't locate the school and I presume it may have been demolished. I remember Needoff's Bakery on Waterloo Road, I was very friendly with their daughter, the Titanic Deli and its wonderful aroma and the ice cream shop, Lorenzinis, I think? I went to Salford and was amazed at the transformation with TV City and yet still some of the old streets still standing. It's great to visit our roots as we never forget them and always like to know what has gone on in the old areas over all the years. I visited Prestwich and Heaton Park but didn't have enough time to locate the lake and the Stately Home that I remember near the lake. I am returning to the UK in July this year and will, no doubt, make the trip to Manchester once again to rekindle the old memories.

Parky

Re: Hightown Manchester 8
« Reply #1 on: 09:40:28, 29/01/18 »
Lovely memories Fay of a more innocent time , when you come back to Blighty next bring some Aussie sun with you please O0

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: 20:45:00, 17/01/22 »
Hi Fay,
This is Alan Falk. I lived at #24 Thirlmere Street with my parents and grandparents, then moved across the street
to #35
That was between 1945 to 1957, when we moved to Prestwich. I remember your family, especially your younger brother - Raymond?  We were friends. And I remember well your family leaving for Australia. Many years have passed for sure and I now live in the U.S. Would love to hear from you and about your family.

lozflan

« Reply #3 on: 09:03:56, 19/01/22 »
Hi Alan,not suprised Haywood St couldn't be found,it has been built over.
Search map for The Fort Manchester.
I don't go there now,no idea how they arrived at that name.
I'm from North St.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

Fay Hocking

« Reply #4 on: 20:34:56, 23/01/22 »
Hi Alan,
Hope you received my recent email in response to your post.
Regards
Fay Hocking

EmmaM

« Reply #5 on: 23:49:46, 09/05/22 »
Hi Alan, many great grandparents lived at 24 Thirlmere Street, not sure of exact dates, but my great grandfather died in 1922, my great grandmother died in the 1940s. Their name was Moshensky and they came from Cherkasy in Russia, now Ukraine.
Regards Sue

Twoshoes

« Reply #6 on: 21:32:07, 19/07/22 »
Hi Alan.
Just discussing this post with my dad who lived at #52 Thirlmere Street. The family name is Gadian and they were there from around the late 1920's to almost when the houses were demolished. There were 6 of them (my dad, his 2 brothers and sister and his parents). My dad, Myron, is the last one now but he still talks of the area with great warmth, having moved to Prestwich some 60 odd years ago. My mum lived on Lime Street and their family name was Simon's. Any memories will be happily passed on.

Fay Hocking

« Reply #7 on: 12:14:07, 14/08/22 »
Did you see my post. Hightown Manchester 8.  Fay Hocking.
Re your Dad's family. I knew all of the family. Was best friends with Nesta. Let me know if you find my post. Cheers, Fay Hocking, nee Finklestein.

Twoshoes

« Reply #8 on: 15:08:49, 14/08/22 »
Hi Fay.
Thanks for replying!
Did you know that Auntie Nesta emigrated to Australia in 1971 with her family?
She came back a few times (the last time being 1999 for my wedding!) and I visited her and Gerry and family over in Adelaide in 1995.
Sadly she passed away in 2016 not long after Monty with Norman passing in 2018.
Any memories you have will be happily shared although dad's memory is sadly fading now.
Thanks again,
Tony

Fay Hocking

« Reply #9 on: 11:54:30, 15/08/22 »
Hi Tony,
I actually discovered in 2016 that they had emigrated to Australia and searched on line and discovered that Nesta had died not long before I searched for her.
I remember when your Dad was going out with your Mum. Your Mum was a lovely girl and they made a lovely couple.
Your Dad was a lovely person. I am guessing that he might be late 80s or maybe into his early 90s? I am 80 years old and doing ok.
I am in the UK at the moment in Formby visiting one of my sons and his family who I haven't seen for 3 years due to Covid. I have been here one month and returning to Australia 29 August.
Fay