Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174730 times)

L Parish

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #225 on: 21:17:01, 25/06/19 »
I attended from 1966 to 1971. I was last year to have grammar school status before it went comprehensive. Miss Manners resigned and Wilde became her successor.
My sister joined me 3 years later. I remember Miss Smith French , Mr James Biology. A Dutch teacher for needlework. And was a member of the Ornothology club at lunch time. I enjoyed the school and my memories were good and happy. Lynn P

L Parish

« Reply #226 on: 21:33:01, 25/06/19 »
I attended Manchester Grammar high school from 1966 to 1971 and was last year before it changed to Comprehensive status. Miss Manners resigned and Miss Wilde replaced her. Miss Eastwood was deputy and I can remember a number of teachers but not their names! Remember Miss Smith, French teacher- liked her. Bit of a Dragon but good humour. Mr James Biology used to throw chalk duster or chalk  at anyone who was talking. Mr Drain was our Religious Education teacher. And headed up the ornothology club at lunchtime with history teacher.  I had happy memories of the school and my time there.
My sister joined the school 3 years later and had Mrs Dixon as her science teacher. Walked with a stick.
One of the 5th formers ? Or lower sixth had a relationship with a teacher who used to play table tennis. We all used to go to watch him as he was dark and handsome ( as we thought at the time).
My needlework teacher was Dutch. Lynn T now P

Verna A Riding

« Reply #227 on: 22:16:37, 25/06/19 »
Obviously after my time and I must confess at my current age of 85, I don't remember as many names.  Miss Clarke was our French teacher - sweet lady and I hate to confess that we girls tended to take advantage of her as she was quite shy.  Miss MacWhirter was Head (a large formidable lady) when I was there and certainly, we never had any male teachers.  Lunchtime we were not allowed out of the school gates or to fraternise with the boys next door!  Especially after our Head Girl and the Head Boy had an affair and she became pregnant - certainly not done when I was there (1945-1950)!  Nice to chat

L Parish

« Reply #228 on: 09:06:19, 26/06/19 »
Hello Verna, wow boys next door? When I went there were only girls as boys were in separate place just out of town. Only pregnancy I knew about was one girl. Nobody spoke about it. Because there was only a yard outside our school we travelled on a bus to Withington to a sports field.
Next door was a college.
Only 5th and 6th formers allowed out. I remember the indoor and outdoor shoe rules and we went into the basement to change.
Uniforms were bought at Henry Barry or John Lewis? I think.
Grey socks only worn up to 4th year then 5th formers allowed to wear stockings or tights.
They were quite strict about the uniform.
Think my gaberdine coat fitted me for the whole 5 years. Lime green and velour hat had to b worn outside on way to and from school. If prefect spotted you detention.
If you folded the hat you created a crease.
Lynn

Verna A Riding

« Reply #229 on: 09:26:59, 26/06/19 »
Hello Lynn

In my day there were two adjoining schools, separated by a yard with a high wall, where we played netball. 
Yes, I think the boys did move out of town a few years after I left (oddly, my neighbour here in Handforth used to attend and he told me the boys' school had moved).  Only access to the boys school next door was via a locked door at the end of a corridor on E Floor.
We too used to travel to a sports field in Withington for other games - emphasis though was always on academia.
You nudged my memory - sixth formers and prefects were allowed out at lunchtime - hence the pregnancy (laugh).  Uniforms were from Henry Barry - think they might have been in St Annes Square? - John Lewis not on the horizon in those days.  Our uniform was green gymslips and black woolly stockings (hated them - made me feel like a goblin!).  Navy blazers with a black and green corded edge and MCHS badge on pocket (Manchester Central High School as it was then - rated as a Grammar School)
Always remember Miss MacWhirter at Assembly each morning.  After prayers she would report on comments from the public.  'A girl from this school was reported by a member of the public as being seen without wearing her hat - would this girl please step forward'.....Oo-er - I hated those hats.
Enjoy your day - Verna

diane paul

« Reply #230 on: 18:20:55, 13/09/19 »
My mother, Netta Erstling won a scholarship to Central High, probably in the early 1900s, maybe 1912. I went to Central Library and they dug out a photo of her class and there she was. My first piano teacher, Florence Cohen also went there, a bit older than my mother. I wonder if anyone's grandparent knew them or if anyone else was taught piano by Miss Cohen. They lived in the Cheetham Hill and Prestwich area then. Later, the school took boys and my brother Aubrey Paul went there. Just a long shot. I would like to know what happened to Miss Cohen.

Elaine Downes

« Reply #231 on: 13:39:32, 04/12/19 »
I went to Manchester Central 1966 to 1971. Miss Manners was my head when I started, but I think Mrs Wilde took over. I don't remember her having a replacement hip though.I remember Miss Smith. She was my french teacher too. Lovely sense of humour, but a bit scarey until you got used to her. She used to make girls take their "war paint" off ( nail varnish and make-up). I also remember Miss Downs, the geography teacher. Tall woman who wore a lot of perfume. She used to go on holidays to Africa and show us her slides. These were the days when foreign holidays were just beginning...and mainly to Europe. Africa was out of this world.  Deirdre (nee Hall).

Elaine Downes

« Reply #232 on: 13:43:29, 04/12/19 »
I was at Central from 1966 1972 it was a grammar school for 1st year then went comprehensive I was in 1b with Miss Boardman - she taught my Mum when  she attended many years prior!
I have a question please I cant remember all the house names there was Nightingale, Austen, Scharlieb but the other 3 defeat my memory , can anyone help??
(just remembered Bronte & Elliott) last one has deffo gone!!!

Elaine Downes

« Reply #233 on: 13:49:56, 04/12/19 »
I attended Manchester Grammar high school from 1966 to 1971 and was last year before it changed to Comprehensive status. Miss Manners resigned and Miss Wilde replaced her. Miss Eastwood was deputy and I can remember a number of teachers but not their names! Remember Miss Smith, French teacher- liked her. Bit of a Dragon but good humour. Mr James Biology used to throw chalk duster or chalk  at anyone who was talking. Mr Drain was our Religious Education teacher. And headed up the ornothology club at lunchtime with history teacher.  I had happy memories of the school and my time there.
My sister joined the school 3 years later and had Mrs Dixon as her science teacher. Walked with a stick.
One of the 5th formers ? Or lower sixth had a relationship with a teacher who used to play table tennis. We all used to go to watch him as he was dark and handsome ( as we thought at the time).

(The needlework teacher was Mrs or Miss Seed I had her too soz to butt in your message but havent figured how to respond on here) Elaine D)

Ex Mancunian

« Reply #234 on: 13:40:17, 16/02/20 »

Pat Chadwick

« Reply #235 on: 18:43:58, 01/05/20 »
My mother, sister and I all passed scholarships to go to Manchester Central High School for girls . Definitely a Grammar School  in the 1920's when my mother attended and in the 1940's /50's when my sister and I attended and Miss Mcwhirter was headmistress. My Husband also went to the boys school housed in the same building but the sexes were kept apart. We would catch the bus and alight at the Palace theatre then walk along Whitworth street and cross the park to get into he.t building. We were never allowed out at lunchtime . I remember on year when the whole school (1,000 girls walked in a crocodile to the Palace theatre for our Annual Speech day

Antonietta

« Reply #236 on: 15:12:37, 29/06/20 »
Just to let any old girl who went to Manchester Central High School for Girl or Manchester Grammar School for Girls there is a Face Book page with old girl, teachers,  photographs and history etc..that would love to hear from you, Numbers are growing daily, and I am enjoying this site very much.  It would be nice to see you on here and you would be most welcome. 

Farrah Rahman

« Reply #237 on: 16:28:45, 09/10/20 »
Hi everyone on Saturday 31st October 2020 at 2pm in Manchester town centre we're having a reunion of Central High mostly 1977 -1982 girls but everyone is welcome and can contact me on 07931258112 to confirm attendance & get the venue details. Do join us if you can it's always fun when we do and the girls are all awesome ! Hope you're all safe and well ❤️

Kay (Blinky)

« Reply #238 on: 02:46:31, 27/10/20 »

Facebook group for ex-pupils - Past pupils of Central High School for Girls and Central Grammar School for Girls (Whitworth Street) are more than welcome to join our group on Facebook. We have over 650 members and hundreds of photos. We'd love to hear your memories, and you might find a long-lost friend or two. This is a private group, so you will have to answer 3 admission questions in order for your membership request to be approved. If you have any problem remembering the answers, please let us know in your reply, and we will message you.
Type Central High School for Girls (Manchester) into the searchbox to find the group.

Tom

« Reply #239 on: 21:29:32, 15/01/21 »
 I attended the boys grammar from 54 to 61.My cousin June went next door to the girls. Our Head was Dr Perelle and the girls headteachers I met were Miss McQuirter,who admonished me for speaking to one of her girls within sight of the school-the fact that we were 1st cousins was deemed no excuse! Had I ignored my cousin the resuts could have been painful!
When I was in the 6th form and visited the building- most of the boys had moved to Kirkmanshulme lane -Miss Manners objected to me and a couple of friends meeting up with some of her 6th formers in the library. If Marion and Pat are still around they might recall the encounter. I was told that Miss Manners went to be head of Cheltenham Ladies College because of the comprehensive system coming in and a number of the staff went with her. Tom H.