Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174734 times)

Tracey

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #30 on: 15:16:57, 23/04/10 »
Don't forget trips to Kumar Bros and Piccadilly Radio 261 with our dedications :smitten:

Fun times :)

jarcadia

« Reply #31 on: 13:31:32, 04/07/10 »
I was at Central the same time as littleann. My mother went there in the thirties. I started in form 1C with Miss Owen, she took RI.  Then I was in 2GB, taking german, I think our form-mistress was Miss Roberts, she had wedding rings on each finger on both hands and I longed to ask her why, but never had the courage!
Remember  Raymond Turner who took spanish and David Lloyd, we locked him in the book- room when I was in the lower -sixth. those were the days!!

Jackie
« Last Edit: 14:10:29, 04/07/10 by jarcadia »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 19:06:09, 04/07/10 »
Hi Jackie and welcome to the forum

Do you live on Arcadia Avenue in Sale?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

littleann

« Reply #33 on: 21:07:00, 04/07/10 »
Jackie:
I am trying to remember a Jackie in my class, since I did have Miss Owens as my Form Mistress and my French teacher in the first year. She was terrorized by certain girls ( one morning they switched around the whole classroom, all the desks and the teacher's dais and everything.) One girl was expelled for it. Quite a painful memory of how mean young girls can be.

Do you remember Christine Geraghty by any chance? I hope it's O.K. to use full names in this post. She and I went there as the only 2 girls to pass for Grammar School out of our whole school. She goes by a totally different name now, so not giving too much away. Anyway, she is still smarter than most people I know, and we have remained friends over 50+ years, and oceans apart.

I have a small clue to what your name might be, but I'll not give it up here.

jarcadia

« Reply #34 on: 21:28:22, 05/07/10 »
I remember a Christine slightly, tall with curly hair? There were twins in our first year who were a couple of years older than us, I think they passed the 13 plus? Also a girl died in the flu epidemic, she was in school on the Friday and I can still remember the disbelief when we were all told on the Monday morning.

We were horrible to Miss Owen, one day we moved her chair to the edge of the dais and she fell off when she sat down, then ran out crying, I can't remember anyone being expelled.

When I was in the sixth-form we were allowed to leave the building at lunch time. We used to walk across the park to a little shop on the corner of Canal St. where we bought steak pies!

I used to live in Sale,and my brother still lives there but I moved to West Wales 36 years ago.

littleann

« Reply #35 on: 22:18:31, 05/07/10 »
Jackie,
Thanks for the reply. I made friends with twins at the school, and went to their house and played the first Beatle's record which came enclosed in a fan magazine. Now if I had that now I would be rich!

I'm off to England in September from America to remember the glory days. Our school is sadly diminished, and it breaks my heart.

But I will walk along Canal Street, and remember the English teacher who went off for a little tot at lunchtime and came back a little rosier in the cheek. He still was a great teacher!

Lottie

« Reply #36 on: 22:37:31, 06/07/10 »
I happened to be around the corner from the school today and decided to have a look at the building - I was there from 1963-68 - and one of the estate guys offered to show me around.  He said that many old pupils call at the school and the staff are happy to give a tour.  The old form rooms on C floor looked much the same and the stone staircases were still intact but most of the rest has changed.  There are 42 flats at the canal end of the building from the second floor upwards, this area of the building was sold off some time ago.  It is now a performing arts and music college and the old hall area is a theatre where some students were rehearsing. 
I remember Miss Boardman and the foot inspections and Miss Smith the French teacher who was my form mistress - very scary.  Miss Powell taught Latin I think.  Miss Manners was headmistress and the story was that she left in disgust when the school went comprehensive!  I remember longing to be in the choir but couldn't manage to get the high note in 'Onward Christian Soldiers' which was Mr Hodgesons requirement for entry.  My young heart faltered at each rejection - I tried quite a few times.
Does anyone remember sewing the apron in the 1st year to be used in domestic science?  I must have unpicked those straps many times.  The teacher told my mum I was incapable of making a handkerchief.  I later taught myself and made most of my daughters clothes through her childhood - even coats!  So much for that teacher - I cant remember her name.
I'm not really sure that my days at Central were happy ones.

Janieb

« Reply #37 on: 01:03:19, 14/07/10 »
I went to Central from '71 -'76 Mrs Wilde was the headteacher and Mrs Eastwood was the deputy head.

Some names i remember; Anne Wainwright, Karen Pycroft, Sandra McHale, Jennifer Waite, Claire Mills, My memory isn't what it used to be lol. My name then was Janie Hooker. Iwould love to catch up with any school friends.

Rochie

« Reply #38 on: 06:09:42, 20/07/10 »
I'm new to this blog.  My name is Yvonne and I went to Central High 70 thru 75.  I've really enjoyed reading all the teacher names!  Brings back lots of memories....  Mrs Simmons was one of my favorites!!  I was the school games captain in 74 and 75.  Any of you out there go to school with me?

jayess

« Reply #39 on: 20:01:05, 21/07/10 »
I've never forgotton my happy days at Central High.  I was there from 1944-1949.  No male teachers in my day.  I met Miss Barber on a Bullocks day-trip and she was delighted I spoke to her.  We started to correspond and I stayed with her a couple of times at her home in Handforth.  She insisted bringing tea to bed in the morning.  I thought she was fearsome in my schooldays but I though her a talented, amusing pussycat when I was mature.  Sadly she went blind and ended her days in a nursing home near Chelford.  The pinafore was the obligatory first year piece of needlework in 1944 too.  An embroidery design had to be executed in the art class.  Second year there was a choice of knickers - rather voluminous even then for my sensitivity - or petticoat.  Skeleton in the cupboard was called Jimmy Cheese.  In 4th year I went into the commercial class - we used to go into the boys' school for typing lessons with Miss Brittain who wore tinted spectacles because her sight was not very good.  Mistresses names - nearly all called Miss - McWhirter (head); Lester (deputy); Haworth (French/deputy head); Bunting and Boardman (gym) in sandals, lisle stockings and short pleated skirts; Langford-Jones we named Lanky-Bones (needlework); Pilkington (geography) down to earth lady she taught us a ditty I cannot repeat; Land (domestic science) - I forgot to put the baking powder in my oatmeal scones and they came out like bricks; Bingley (biology); Owen (went to the States on an exchange, her replacement brought us our first taste of butter popcorn, Hoddart (French/music); Freda Cooke (Spanish and was a JP); 2 x Miss Roberts (Gwendoline took French and the other a fierce lady with hair in a bun took maths); Armor (history) said to belong to the cornbeef family; Miss Powell who became Mrs Rutherford and head of Cheadle Grammar for Girls when my daughter was there; Mrs Eastwood I believe took Latin and Mrs Brierley was another maths teacher, who, to my horror turned up at the same guest house in Southport where my family was staying. Girls I remember: Norma Tate, Alice Jones, Barbara Lee, Beryl Orchard, Joyce Bunyon, Jane Herring.  What were the names of the houses?  I have in mind Nightingale, McMillan, Eliot, Austen and Bronte.

debbyg

« Reply #40 on: 17:04:57, 25/07/10 »
Hello every one have just stumbled acrooss this site and i loved my time at the school i attended from 1980-1985.  I remember queing up for my dinner tickets selling them and going to the chippy on canal street where evry one used to hang out smoking!!! ha ha ;D  one of my fave teachers was mr. savage and mr. lee my p.e teacher and miss adamson who taught music was so glam but cool and always had time for me.  my home economics teacher was mrs bindley.  Does anyone remeber mrs skudder she was my form tutor. I still have all my old school reports, most of them saying i needed to concentrate!!! I am a nursery officer now working for a manchester college and have six children!!! If anyone would like to e.mail me plz get in touch [email protected] or on f.book under Debby samantha gillan please get in touch would be very nice to hear from old class mates O0 :smitten:

RhonaD

« Reply #41 on: 06:52:32, 08/08/10 »
The names of the two gym teachers who wore navy blue shorts were Miss Bunting and Miss Boardman.

Rochie

« Reply #42 on: 03:33:18, 31/08/10 »
What was the Face book title for Central high school for Girls 1968-75?  I'm Yvonne Roche. I was the into all the sports with Miss Hargreave and Mrs Wild.  My married name is Yvonne Hampson. I went around with Karen Evans, Vickie Taylor.

Madame Defarge

« Reply #43 on: 12:14:30, 15/10/10 »
Hello,

I was at Central Grammar from 1962 to 1969.  Many memories, and looking back it was a really good school

Miss Manners was head teacher - very stern and left in a fit of pique when the school went comprehensive.

Miss DeVries and Miss Land - Needlework
Mrs Seed - History and English
Mr Smith, Mr France and Miss Powell - History
Miss Ainsworth, Mrs Tonge - French
Mrs Eastwood - Latin
Miss Downs, Mr Meadowcroft - Geography
Miss Earl, Mr Sagi(?sp) and Miss Hall - science. Miss Hall was really scary but a brilliant teacher.
Miss Boardman - PE

Lots of others I can picture but can't remember their names. 

Does anyone remember the whole school (or so it seemed) walking through Manchester to see 'How the West was won' at the cinema? Also when we were doing a Shakespeare play there always seemed to be a cinema or theatre showing that play and we were all taken.  I recall being taken to a cinema to see Julius Caesar with pupils from other schools and not being able to hear Marlon Brando say the 'Friends Romans and countrymen' speech for the kids shouting it out.

Girls I remember - Carol Barnes, Barbara Hall, Jane Tobin, Anne Barrett, Renee ??, Janice Grainger, Margaret Rafter, Irene ??, and I think there were 2 sets of twins in that year, one identical and one not.

Happy days.

Laylah

« Reply #44 on: 18:21:04, 18/10/10 »
Hi
I was at Manchester Central as one of the last intake before the school went comprehensive and Miss Manners left. I was in the same year as Deirdre Hall - Doris on the Forum - 1966-71 - you haven't posted since, Deirdre, but if you're stil following the the posts "Hello".
Reading all the anecdotes and teachers names certainly takes me back. I was in the school choir and loved the Christmas services at St. Anne's and the trips to the Eistedfodd (though we never won)
Mrs. Johnstone (English) was one of my favourite teachers and Mrs. Boyle (Biology). And the P.E. knickers we got to wear were grey :D