Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174826 times)

stpat

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #45 on: 03:34:03, 06/11/10 »
Does anyone remember  Miss  Hoddart (french mistress) and Miss Caiger (art mistress) cica 1940's. Miss Barber was a very strict music teacher. The two gym teachers always wore navy shorts. Can anyone remember their names? My friend Sylvia  and I used to go to the News Theatre with  the Grammar school boys next door to see short films. Does anyone remember going to see Henry V at the Odeon and the Picasso and Matise exhibition with the school at the art gallery.

Yes I remember Mrs Huddert.  We nicknamed her Hydro. She became the vice principal to Miss Manners.   The two gym teachers were the stick and the frog. Miss Barber was the crazy music teacher but she took us to listen to the orchestra in Manchester with Sir John Barberolli and I have loved classical music ever since!

maureen1962

« Reply #46 on: 20:33:38, 06/12/10 »
I was at Central from 1973-1979,Mrs Wilde was headmistress and always reminded me of Googie Withers,the actress. I cant remember all the teacers I had,but do remember Mr Janes(science),Mr Drain(R.E),Mr Evans(Geography), Mrs Clayton(German),Mr Robson and Mr Cahill(Maths),Mr Smith(History). I can remember all the girls having a huge crush on Mr Cahill who taught maths and can remember Mr Robson nick-naming me Skippy(after the tv show with the kangaroo) as I was always tutting in class as I hated Maths.I am still in touch with my then best friend,Jackie Armstrong,but would love to know if anyone knows where Veronika  Peterek or her sister Adela are,they were there at the same time as me and I lost touch with them. If anyone remembers me please drop me an email, thanks,Maureen Oakley,nee Jordan x

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: 20:38:24, 06/12/10 »
I was at Central from 1973-1979,Mrs Wilde was headmistress and always reminded me of Googie Withers,the actress. I cant remember all the teacers I had,but do remember Mr Janes(science),Mr Drain(R.E),Mr Evans(Geography), Mrs Clayton(German),Mr Robson and Mr Cahill(Maths),Mr Smith(History). I can remember all the girls having a huge crush on Mr Cahill who taught maths and can remember Mr Robson nick-naming me Skippy(after the tv show with the kangaroo) as I was always tutting in class as I hated Maths.I am still in touch with my then best friend,Jackie Armstrong,but would love to know if anyone knows where Veronika  Peterek or her sister Adela are,they were there at the same time as me and I lost touch with them. If anyone remembers me please drop me an email, thanks,Maureen Oakley,nee Jordan x

Just wondered if the Mr Evans who taught Geography went on to be Headmaster at Bethesda school in Cheadle, there was also a Mr Cahill who was a vegetarian
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

maureen1962

« Reply #48 on: 21:08:43, 07/12/10 »
Could well be Celeste,I lost track of what they all did when I left in 1979. I also remember Mrs Kristofferson,a very dainty lady who retired whilst I was there,me and my best mate Jackie used to go and see her at her home but lost contact after a while. :( :(

peppy1951

« Reply #49 on: 11:30:08, 09/12/10 »
Hello,

I was at Central Grammar from 1962 to 1969.  Many memories, and looking back it was a really good school

Miss Manners was head teacher - very stern and left in a fit of pique when the school went comprehensive.

Miss DeVries and Miss Land - Needlework
Mrs Seed - History and English
Mr Smith, Mr France and Miss Powell - History
Miss Ainsworth, Mrs Tonge - French
Mrs Eastwood - Latin
Miss Downs, Mr Meadowcroft - Geography
Miss Earl, Mr Sagi(?sp) and Miss Hall - science. Miss Hall was really scary but a brilliant teacher.
Miss Boardman - PE

Lots of others I can picture but can't remember their names. 

Does anyone remember the whole school (or so it seemed) walking through Manchester to see 'How the West was won' at the cinema? Also when we were doing a Shakespeare play there always seemed to be a cinema or theatre showing that play and we were all taken.  I recall being taken to a cinema to see Julius Caesar with pupils from other schools and not being able to hear Marlon Brando say the 'Friends Romans and countrymen' speech for the kids shouting it out.

Girls I remember - Carol Barnes, Barbara Hall, Jane Tobin, Anne Barrett, Renee ??, Janice Grainger, Margaret Rafter, Irene ??, and I think there were 2 sets of twins in that year, one identical and one not.

Happy days.
Hi
I was at Manchester Central as one of the last intake before the school went comprehensive and Miss Manners left. I was in the same year as Deirdre Hall - Doris on the Forum - 1966-71 - you haven't posted since, Deirdre, but if you're stil following the the posts "Hello".
Reading all the anecdotes and teachers names certainly takes me back. I was in the school choir and loved the Christmas services at St. Anne's and the trips to the Eistedfodd (though we never won)
Mrs. Johnstone (English) was one of my favourite teachers and Mrs. Boyle (Biology). And the P.E. knickers we got to wear were grey :D

peppy1951

« Reply #50 on: 11:33:48, 09/12/10 »
Hello,

I was at Central Grammar from 1962 to 1969.  Many memories, and looking back it was a really good school

Miss Manners was head teacher - very stern and left in a fit of pique when the school went comprehensive.

Miss DeVries and Miss Land - Needlework
Mrs Seed - History and English
Mr Smith, Mr France and Miss Powell - History
Miss Ainsworth, Mrs Tonge - French
Mrs Eastwood - Latin
Miss Downs, Mr Meadowcroft - Geography
Miss Earl, Mr Sagi(?sp) and Miss Hall - science. Miss Hall was really scary but a brilliant teacher.
Miss Boardman - PE

Lots of others I can picture but can't remember their names. 

Does anyone remember the whole school (or so it seemed) walking through Manchester to see 'How the West was won' at the cinema? Also when we were doing a Shakespeare play there always seemed to be a cinema or theatre showing that play and we were all taken.  I recall being taken to a cinema to see Julius Caesar with pupils from other schools and not being able to hear Marlon Brando say the 'Friends Romans and countrymen' speech for the kids shouting it out.

Girls I remember - Carol Barnes, Barbara Hall, Jane Tobin, Anne Barrett, Renee ??, Janice Grainger, Margaret Rafter, Irene ??, and I think there were 2 sets of twins in that year, one identical and one not.

Happy days.

peppy1951

« Reply #51 on: 11:39:53, 09/12/10 »
I certainly do remember walking through town to watch How the West was won and also remember trips to the theatre to watch ballet, Swan Lake I think. I was at Manchester Central from 1962 onwards and remember Mrs Huddart, Miss Manners, Mrs Seed etc. Does anyone remember the attic rooms where we kept the costumes for the Shakespearean plays. I remember my role as Portia in the Merchant of Venice and to my eternal shame locking one fellow student in the cupboard whilst I went to lunch.  Needless to say Miss Manners was not amused!

carolg

« Reply #52 on: 22:06:45, 02/01/11 »
Hi to Jackie - have been unable to contact you by email.  I was in 1C and 2GB with Jackie and the memories really made me smile.  The twins in 1C were Sylvia and Rosemary if that helps anyone remember them.  Was in touch with another 1C member about 45 years ago, Janet Ebborall.  She had been living in New Zealand and we met up on her return.  Sadly I lost her address.  Does anyone know anything about Susan Smith?

LesW

« Reply #53 on: 20:09:54, 04/01/11 »
I certainly do remember walking through town to watch How the West was won and also remember trips to the theatre to watch ballet, Swan Lake I think. I was at Manchester Central from 1962 onwards and remember Mrs Huddart, Miss Manners, Mrs Seed etc. Does anyone remember the attic rooms where we kept the costumes for the Shakespearean plays. I remember my role as Portia in the Merchant of Venice and to my eternal shame locking one fellow student in the cupboard whilst I went to lunch.  Needless to say Miss Manners was not amused!
I went to this school from 1960 - 1965 when Miss Manners was headmistress. It's such a lifetime ago but I still have fond memories (and some not so fond.. LOL.)

Somebody mentioned a website, there isn't one that I know of but I am a web designer and would be more than happy to do one if I got help from others. If anyone is interested in helping, please let me know and we can put together a website. From experience these things grow and I think it would be a very interesting project.

"huma",  I would love to see the booklet you are talking about.
I have lived in Canada for the last 37 years, the thing that made me want to come here in the first place was those wonderful geography movies and pictures.

Carole (nee Furness)
Brockville, Ontario.

LesW

« Reply #54 on: 20:14:26, 04/01/11 »
I went to Manchester Central Grammar from 1958 to 1963. The year I left I was in 5 beta & Miss Smith was my form mistress. Miss Manners was the head and Mrs. Huddart deputy head. I remember going to see Henry V at the Odeon. Does anyone remember the body being dredged from from the canal and all those of who watched being in trouble at assembly? I also remember the 2 games mistresses in divided skirts.

DayDreamer

« Reply #55 on: 08:34:07, 12/01/11 »
Hi,

I'm one of the current deputy heads at Shena Simon Campus. We're keen to get as much information as possible about it's history and it sounds like you all know quite a bit!

If you were to give me all you know, i could arrange a tour of the building for those whop are interested.

Let me know your thoughts,

Dominic

beryl

« Reply #56 on: 15:52:07, 20/02/11 »
I attended Manchester Central High School from 1947 - 1951 (leaving a year early) and although  it is a very long time ago I remember  my time there very well . Miss McWhirter for the Head Mistress then and Miss Lester was the Senior Mistress. Miss Clarke taught French, Miss Land - Domestic Science, Miss Pilkington Geography,  Miss Hornby-- History, Mrs Hetherington Maths (Iwas scared to death of her but she got the message across) Miss Barber taught Music Miss Gitsom - Physics -  these are to name but a few.  Now the question I need answering is - I  know that I had to pass my Scholarship to attend there and I have always been under the impression that Whitworth Street was a Grammar School but I have recently been informed that it never was - can anyone help.This will settle a  hugh argument

beryl

« Reply #57 on: 16:00:37, 20/02/11 »
Hi - It was definitely not a grammar school in those days as you had to pay to go to a grammar school and you just passed the scholarship to attend Manchester Central High School.  I went there from around 1943 to 48 and I couldnt have had a better education.  I took 11 subjects including English, English Lit., French and German.  If they went back to that system today we would have a very much better educated population.  There were no school trips or anything like that as this was wartime. The teachers wore cap and gown and that was a good thing I believe.  Miss McWhirter looked a bit like Queen Victoria - we said prayers each morning and the jewish girls had their prayers in the library.  It was a wonderful time.

celeste

• Global Moderator
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

music 2

« Reply #59 on: 15:03:03, 02/03/11 »
An interesting read Never thought to look for it before!
I went there from 1946-1951,and reading this has brought back some memories.
The teachers were strict in those days,but we had a wonderful education.
Mrs Hetherington,the maths teacher was scary,but good,and does anyone remember Miss Hetherington the history teacher?Don't know if they were related!
Miss Powell took over from Miss Hetherington for history and some of my class went on a trip to Paris in 1951,which cost my mother about £26 for the week.We were supposed to wear our school hats,but Miss Powell was very modern and didn't make us wear them.We had the new Latin teacher with us,but I was in the Latin class and our teacher was Mrs Eastwood,very nice but no messing with her.
The one we used to be a bit cruel with was Miss Owen the French teacher.She was very timid and always wore a red jacket like the Chelsea Pensioners and had her hair parted down the middle with waves each side.
Miss McQuirter was of the old school,but I had to laugh at a previous description of the gym mistresses in their short skirts.
Who remembers Speech days at the Palace Theatre?,and the trips to the playing fields on the school bus and the swimming at the Victoria baths.
I agree that Miss Barber,the music teacher was strict.I did music for one of my choices and sometimes was up till very late doing my homework,but I did get 96% in the exam and I have been a pianist all my life privately getting an LRAM.
I think that it wasn't a bad thing to have the discipline we had and the education was excellent.