Author Topic: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)  (Read 174731 times)

pat fowles

Re: Manchester Central High School for Girls (Whitworth St)
« Reply #60 on: 14:28:58, 05/03/11 »
I went to Manchester Central Grammar from 1964 - 1969. Remember Miss Manners not being happy about it going comprehensive! Had some great teachers and some awful ones. Does anyone remember Dr Lewis the English teacher. Mr Cryer the Maths teacher who had the patience of a saint (I was hopeless at Maths).
It was customery when you left to throw your excercise books in the canal.
I remember the stone steps inside the school used to fascinate me because they were so worn down.
I have tried to find out the history of the building before it was a school. Does anyone know? My Nana said during WW1 it was a hospital. She went there to ask for work and the matron said she was too small.  8)

joyceG

« Reply #61 on: 03:38:58, 06/03/11 »
I was at Central High School from 1948 to 1950 and remember all of the teachers mentioned by the previous posts from people there during those years. I was terrified of Miss Hornby. I used to tremble every time I saw her head bobbing along the top of the glass partition. We had Miss Clarke as French teacher and Miss Wrathall for Latin. I was married in 1956 and later discovered my husband was a cousin of Miss Anderson. From what I can remember she was a bit of a tyrant. Does anybody remember Miss Macwhirter banning us playing Music, Music, Music by Theresa Brewer in the hall at lunchtime. She said it was too noisey. During music classes we tried very hard no to sit on the front row as Miss Barber was prone to grab the first ruler she could find and beat time to the music till she broke the ruler. Would love to get  in touch with anybody from those days. I was in the Latin alpha classes.

music 2

« Reply #62 on: 14:15:48, 06/03/11 »
JoyceG,
Just read your post,and I remember Miss McQuirter banning Music Music Music.I think she preferred all the olde tyme/modern sequence dances we did at lunch time.Do you remember Miss Barber sounding her tuning fork and saying"doh...sound it"
I was in the Alpha class for Latin...3L alpha,4L alpha and 5L with Mrs Eastwood but you have reminded me of the Latin teacher who came to Paris...Miss Wrathall...couldn't think of her name.
Went to Stockport with Miss Barber to see an old MCH girl give a piano recital.Also went to the Town Hall to see Miss Barber playing in a string quartet(she played cello)with the Beethoven Society.
It's good to bring all these memories back.
don't know if I can post my e address here,but it would be nice to keep in touch.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: 15:05:15, 06/03/11 »
You can send her your email address by pm
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

joyceG

« Reply #64 on: 09:03:58, 08/03/11 »
Hello again music2,

Would love to keep in touch and talk about old times. I have been searching for so long for someone from the years I was there. It holds many memories for me. I remember the speech days at the Palace. The last one was particularly memorable as the first girl on the list was not there and, being third, I got the second one's School Certificate. which was brilliant as she was a genius. I remember her name was Nadine Brummer. I wonder what happened to her. The presenter congratulated me on my achievement. I did return the right Certificate to Nadine.
Did you go and see Nanook of the North and Hamlet?
Would love to send you my email address but don't know how to do it. If you do, please get in touch

music 2

« Reply #65 on: 22:50:05, 08/03/11 »
Hello JoyceG,

You have reminded me of going to see Nanook of the North and Hamlet.I also recall seeing Henry V at the cinema and Tobias and the Angel at the Central Library theatre...oh also The Halle at the Free Trade Hall with John Barbirolli and his hair flopping about as he conducted.
Will be in touch when I have more time as it's now bedtime!

joyceG

« Reply #66 on: 09:11:40, 09/03/11 »
Hello again music2,
Nice to hear from you again. By the way I have just noticed that I put the wrong dates for my being at the school. I was there 1945 not 1948 as I previously put till 1950. Guess a touch of old age.

Didn't see the Halle orchestra but I do remember going to a concert of the music from Carmen and eversince that day I have just loved that music. Also went to the Opera House to see Les Sylphides and a part of Swan Lake.

Oh the memories. JoyceG

buffbh

« Reply #67 on: 02:51:14, 10/03/11 »
I was studying economics. I like Manchester City. and I am looking for a graduate school in that party to the transfer. this would be a great challenge to me

pat fowles

« Reply #68 on: 02:18:39, 11/03/11 »
Just remembered something else about 'Central'. Does anyone remember the Lecture theatre being haunted????? I remember being told a female teacher haunted it and a few of us went to check it out and heard footsteps walking down from the back.  We all ran out screaming and when it was found out what had happened we were told not to go in there again on our own. :) 

music 2

« Reply #69 on: 11:21:40, 11/03/11 »
Celeste,
Please can you tell me how to p.m.I may be having a "senior moment" but I'm struggling to find the link to it.I've looked at the help page,but when I click on Personal messages it seems as though it's adding to the topic!!!
I can do this easily on Genes Reunited but this seems more complicated.
Thank you.

beryl

« Reply #70 on: 21:07:11, 12/03/11 »
Miss Owen taught me German and believe it or not she wore the red jacket from 1943 to 1948!!!!!  Miss Roberts was the French teacher and she really was very timid and a hopeless teacher. Maybe she got sacked as you say Miss Owen taught you French. Miss Riddle taught maths, geometry and algebra. Mrs.Honeycomb taught English.   
Miss Caiger and Miss Martin  taught art and we seemed to have everything in  those wartime days, i.e. large library, wonderful gym with ropes and bars, music lecture room, cooking stoves electric and gas , washing machines, physics and biology labs, and games fields which we took the bus to.  It was very superior to the jerry built buildings serving as schools today.  At morning assembly the head girl played the piano.  I think they should bring back that system .

music 2

« Reply #71 on: 22:58:55, 12/03/11 »
Beryl,
The red coat Miss Owen wore...well she wore it until I left in 1951.I wonder if she had a few of them...or did she have it cleaned every week-end!I didn't take German and was put in the Latin Class as they said that to go to University you had to have Latin...but I left at 16 to go to work as you had to be quite rich in those days to extend your education...how times have changed.We even had to buy some of our school books.
As you say we  had an excellent education which has stood us in good stead and given us a good grounding in knowledge and discipline!

joyceG

« Reply #72 on: 09:08:00, 15/03/11 »
Beryl, you reminded me of more teachers. I also remember Miss Riddle and Mrs Honeycombe. Miss Clarke used to teach us French. Don't remember any ghosts thoough. Really used to dislike PT intensely. Maybe because I wasn't very good.  Wasn't much good at art either. Does anyone remember the art teacher during the years 1945-1950?

music 2

« Reply #73 on: 15:05:40, 21/03/11 »
I was going through my dresser yesterday having a tidy up and came across my school hat band that my mother had saved all these years.I always thought that the green and black were a bit dull...also the dark green blouses.Suppose they were practical and didn't show the dirt like white,but wondered if they ever changed the colours!I seem to remember that we were allowed to wear a beret after the first few years!

joyceG

« Reply #74 on: 08:55:37, 22/03/11 »
Remember the uniform oh so well. It always seemed so dowdy. I had a gym slip. I rememer in the 5th form we asked if we could wear skirts and Miss Macwhirter said we didn''t have the figures to wear skirts. Those were funny days. I wonder what those old teachers of ours would say about what girls of 16 wear these days! The berets were very convenient for slipping in our schoolbags if there were no teachers around but if they caught you out of the school without a hat, it was big trouble.