Author Topic: Christmas Celebrations  (Read 4028 times)

PhoebePatel

Christmas Celebrations
« on: 15:21:55, 22/12/20 »
Hey Guys!

How is everyone celebrating Christmas this year!? The other day we did Chill Factore's virtual santas grotto. It was great!

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Christmas Celebrations
« Reply #1 on: 18:29:41, 22/12/20 »
Hello Phoebe,  welcome to the forum

I've been self-isolating since March 23rd except for visits to restaurants and supermarkets, been out about nine tines approx.

I shall be enjoying Christmas with my two sons.

How are you celebrating?
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

« Reply #2 on: 20:44:11, 22/12/20 »
Just carry on regardless, I'll be seeing all my family for dinner on the day and having a few scoops.  :)

Tom

« Reply #3 on: 21:07:15, 14/01/21 »
Am pleased many are managing some enjoyment in the present difficuties.Immediately after the war Evans Bellhouse who were a large sawmill and aircraft factory near Reliance Street Newton Heath (opposite the co-op) aid on some good xmas parties for workers and their children. They had a very large canteen  which they decorated and after the chidrens' events ,including Father Chrismas and presents, a space was cleared for the adults to dance. Very popular. They copied Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers. They could do all the steps. Interestingly Tap dancing was popular amonst the men! Many of whom were service men. I never heard any adverse comments! B  W  Tom H. :)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 09:29:35, 15/01/21 »
Enjoyed that reminiscence  Tom,  any more?

Tom

« Reply #5 on: 18:23:47, 15/01/21 »
Quite a lot. Christmas was a big event, not just for children bur all generations. As a war child I grew up with rationing and limited pocket money. It made you appreciate any relatives who didn't use their sweet ration(would you like me to go to the shop for you? and May I have a couple of points off your sweet ration?) and very sharp on the mental arithmetic of how far your pocket money would go!
Since everything was in short supply or second hand, Christmas where families came together and pooled their resources for a good time, made for some memorable events.
One shouldn't think children were miserable .They made the best of their situation. When I look at my children and grand children I encourage them to enjoy their relatively more comfortable lives.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 20:06:21, 15/01/21 »
Were you an only child,  did you ever meet any children who had been evacuated?

Tom

« Reply #7 on: 20:38:52, 15/01/21 »
No and no. I am the eldest of 4 lads.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 21:00:56, 15/01/21 »
Interesting that you mention the aircraft factory, there is Barton airfield and my brother I used to cycle to Manchester Airport, up Brooks Lane,  Clay Lane, then Roaringgate Lane, and then Ringway Road, to a very small Ringway Airport - of course when I worked there it gradually grew in size, now the freight area is like a small village.

Tom

« Reply #9 on: 22:50:11, 16/01/21 »
How about Good Women doing nothing? Did you ever go to a pub at Heald Green after Ringway? We called there then went to see Handforth Hall. Named after one of our ancestors. Her father died at the battle of Flodden fighting for Henry the 8th in1515. Margaret Handforth married into the Bretherton family. Her home Handforth Hall is still there though a private house.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 11:48:14, 17/01/21 »
I've never been to a pub in Heald Green,  nearest was the Belfry - think it was a hotel,  I sometimes went to the Airport Hotel on Ringway Road with workmates,  and one of the Reps.  took me for lunch at what was the Boddington Arms.

There was a Francis Bretherton in Henry VIII's time,  I'm not certain but he may have been one of the men accused of

being involved in Anne Boleyn's adultery.

I hadn't heard of Handforth Hall.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 15:17:24, 17/01/21 »
Oops my mistake,  it was Francis Brereton

Tom

« Reply #12 on: 18:09:37, 17/01/21 »
It was Sir Urian Brereton who married Margaret Handforth. It's interesting how the different family lines connect. Did you ever see Lewiss' christmas celebrations? Father Christmas came down the dome-well -5 floors.  Wyles next door had huge toy displays-their model railways in particular stood out. Piccadilly and the surrounding streets had all sorts of pedlars from hot chestnuts,toys, barrows of fruit and vegetables etc. All the shop windows had a Christmas theme. Very busy area with the buses and the old trams.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: 18:46:16, 17/01/21 »
Can't remember Lewis's Xmas decorations although I must have seen them,  my mother didn't like shopping,  didn't like crowds, so did take us to the largest stores,  school uniforms at Afflecks, three summer dresses each from Kendals, although she made most of our dresses on her sewing machine at the kitchen table.

Christmastime is my favourite time of the year, seems to be yours as well.   http://www.theskyliner.org/blog-1/lewiss-primark

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=qoYEYI3bELKblwTprbWQBQ&q=handforth+hall&oq=Handforth+Hall&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgUIABDJAzIICC4Qx

https://www.google.com/search?q=Brereton+Hall&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLSz9U3SC-PNzIwUQKzjcszzAuLtCRD8kuLMotLHEtKihKTSzLz84IzU1LLEyuLF7HyOhWlFqW
« Last Edit: 19:06:54, 17/01/21 by celeste »

Tom

« Reply #14 on: 20:29:01, 18/01/21 »
Yes but all the seasons had an appeal to children.  The summer of 1947 was glorious. Local parks like Arwick green and further afield kike Platt Fields, Birch Fields Whitworth and Crowcroft all hold fond memories. The winter was great for kids but must have been awful for the adults.The snow seemed to be there for ever! At night the fog came down. Not mist -green horrible smog. Made breathing  difficult and often you could not see the ground. If you got a group of friends to throw snowballs on to the roofs of a row of terraced houses you could dislodge a whole row. 4 feet of snow outside each front door. we then offered to clear paths for pocket money!  Cheeky but fun.