Author Topic: Chief Constable vows to revive under-performing force  (Read 1968 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Greater Manchester Police chief vows to revive 'underperforming' force - BBC News

Greater Manchester Police's new chief constable has vowed to turn the force's fortunes around after admitting it was "significantly underperforming".

Stephen Watson has taken over at the force, which is in special measures, after Ian Hopkins stood down.

GMP was scrutinised after a report revealed a failure to record more than 80,000 crimes[/size] in a year.

Mr Watson said he would quit if the force was not in a "demonstrably better place" within two years.

The 52-year-old, who previously led South Yorkshire's force, described GMP as a "sleeping giant", and said it was that which attracted him to the role.
'Deserve better'

He said he had "every confidence in the quality" of the team but added the force "needs to improve".

"I would say I don't think it fair to categorise the entire force as failing, what is clear is that the force is significantly underperforming to its potential," he said.

"Our people deserve better, and the public deserve better, and that has got to be our aspiration."

Mr Watson said he was confident he was "going to pull it off" because he was "surrounded by thousands of really good people who really want to make a difference".

He added: "If within two years this force is not in a demonstrably better place I'll have gone."
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

St Chads Lad

St Chads Lad

Re: Chief Constable vows to revive under-performing force
« Reply #2 on: 09:37:32, 14/06/21 »
If half of what this fella is saying is genuine Burnham will be having a word in his ear, no kneeling? No rainbow laces? Lock people up? We're gonna have to retrain the entire GMP ' service' because they don't know where to start dealing with the public and actually fighting crime, they've had it easy bullying people into their face nappies.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gmps-new-chief-constable-absolutely-20807814

I'll believe it when I see it  :-\  first you'll have to get hold of a copper.

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 10:06:14, 14/06/21 »
......and Tony Lloyd has been knighted

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 14:07:47, 14/06/21 »
Greater Manchester Police chief constable rejects taking the knee - BBC News

Greater Manchester Police's new chief constable has said he "absolutely would not" take the knee in uniform as it could undermine impartiality.

Parky

« Reply #5 on: 21:21:35, 14/06/21 »
Best thing he could do is change the police service back to be a police force,

St Chads Lad

« Reply #6 on: 15:33:30, 16/08/21 »
New GMP Chief Constable scraps predecessor’s ‘patronising, complete tosh’ flagship policy.  :o 
Did you hear that Andy? Complete tosh. ;D

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/new-gmp-chief-constable-scraps-21320520

Interesting. :(  We'll see.  ::)

ExileSteve

« Reply #7 on: 18:12:07, 22/08/21 »
Don’t hold your breath…..

St Chads Lad

« Reply #8 on: 17:55:31, 24/08/21 »
  When do we get our rainbow baconmobiles? I can't wait to stand and laugh at the occupants, they used to be police officers a long time ago.  ;D
  I wonder if laughing at the idiots will be a hate crime.  ;D

Parky

« Reply #9 on: 18:56:40, 24/08/21 »
It will ,it ticks boxes

St Chads Lad

« Reply #10 on: 17:50:29, 28/09/21 »

Hey Mr Watson, what's going on?

COPS have been blasted by taxpayers’ after one dressed as a giant rainbow-coloured Bumblebee to promote inclusivity - just weeks after a senior figure said the force needed to “focus resources where they are needed most”.

The officer donned the bizarre outfit along with yellow sunglasses to promote a pro-LGBT Pride march on 22 September.

Cops were blasted after one dressed as a rainbow-coloured bee for an LGBT march
Cops were blasted after one dressed as a rainbow-coloured bee for an LGBT march
But Greater Manchester Police was blasted for the stunt in Bolton, which also marked “hate crime awareness” week.

Mark Acaster said: “I am an adult gay male. I don’t want special treatment. I want a police force run by seasoned officers who enforce the law, and are respected by the people they serve. This is a patronising and embarrassing PR disaster.”

Sara Lovett replied: “Here’s a thought... stop with all this PC, virtue signalling nonsense and do your damn job.

“In a time of rising crime, lack of police visibility this really isn’t what the public want to see. Badly misjudged the public mood.”

Locals Twitter users blasted the force with one branding the stunt 'badly misjudged'
Locals Twitter users blasted the force with one branding the stunt 'badly misjudged'
Simon Lewis added: “Perhaps instead of being inclusive, here is a radical thought do your [censored] jobs. No one cares if you are gay, straight or identify as a shoe. Do your [censored]*ing jobs, or should I say have PRIDE in your work by cleaning up the scum you seem to ignore 24/7. GMP is a joke.”

And Ryan Daintree hit out at the stunt, saying: “Cringeworthy! #pride should be getting on those streets and arresting criminals and terrorists!

“Not dressing as a big rainbow but if you’re gonna go down that road I hope to see you’re officers dressed as giant poppies for Armistice Day, we shall see.”

Earlier this month, GMP Deputy Chief Constable Ian Pilling said a reduction in officer numbers and the “changing nature and complexity” of crime “means that we have to focus our resources where they are needed most’”.

Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has previously blasted the Government for 'gambling' with public safety by cutting cops' funding
Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has previously blasted the Government for 'gambling' with public safety by cutting cops' funding.

The bee suit that that PC Numpty was wearing cost a grand apparently.  ::)

St Chads Lad

« Reply #11 on: 20:07:38, 28/09/21 »
[
Here he is.  ::)

« Last Edit: 20:14:22, 28/09/21 by St Chads Lad »