Author Topic: Warburton Toll Bridge planned fee rise  (Read 671 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Warburton Toll Bridge planned fee rise
« on: 11:52:44, 21/07/21 »
Warburton Toll Bridge planned fee rise 'completely unacceptable' - BBC News

Plans to massively increase the cost of crossing a toll bridge are "completely unacceptable", a council has said.
Manchester Ship Canal Company, which owns Warburton Toll Bridge, wants to increase the fee from 12p to up to £1.

It says extra revenues would finance a£6.5m upgrade of the bridge and nearby roads, as well as cutting queues by introducing an automated toll system.

But Warrington Borough Council said the "substantial" rise would "have a real financial impact on motorists".
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

sofcookies

Re: Warburton Toll Bridge planned fee rise
« Reply #1 on: 15:44:46, 25/07/21 »
The rise is quite considerable as it equates to £2.00 per day for those who make return journeys.  I was always happy to pay the £0.12 or £0.24 for a return journey,  As much as it helped clear out loose change but £2.00 per day may well force me onto the Motorway and go round contributing to the traffic across Barton bridge.

Now a rise to £0.20 per trip would work.   I am also skeptical when they say long queues.  I cannot ever remember being behind more that 10 cars in all the years i have used the route. 

Automated means doing a couple of guys out of a job as well so everybody loses all ways around.

Parky

Re: Warburton Toll Bridge planned fee rise
« Reply #2 on: 16:21:22, 25/07/21 »
Didn’t someone burn the toll booth down a bit ago ?