Author Topic: OLYMPIC GAMES 2021  (Read 3424 times)

Parky

Re: OLYMPIC GAMES 2021
« Reply #15 on: 11:03:04, 01/08/21 »
Where this “ team GB” come from ?

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 17:42:09, 01/08/21 »
It used to be known as the GB team,  but the U.S.  put the 'Team' word first and we followed suit ;)

Don't be surprised if we do the same with dates/months in the future :D
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Parky

« Reply #17 on: 17:46:26, 01/08/21 »
Wouldn’t surprise me  ::)

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 17:48:09, 01/08/21 »
Tokyo Olympics: Charlotte Worthington wins BMX freestyle gold for Great Britain
Sun, 01 Aug 2021 04:10:03 GMT
Great Britain's Charlotte Worthington wins a thrilling gold in the women's BMX park freestyle Olympic final.

lozflan

« Reply #19 on: 08:24:34, 02/08/21 »
New is the choice of the last2 remaining athletes,to have a medal each,rather than go on competing
Russian Olympic Commitee athletes stand in for Russian[dopeheads] Team
They might just look the same.
Politicians and nappies must be changed often,and for the same reason

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 11:42:32, 03/08/21 »
Tokyo Olympics: Jason and Laura Kenny both claim track cycling silver - BBC Sport

Jason Kenny became Great Britain's most decorated Olympian as team sprint silver brought an eighth medal, after wife Laura took team pursuit silver.

GB's men had won the team sprint at the past three Games, while the women won the team pursuit in 2012 and 2016.
« Last Edit: 11:52:55, 03/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 18:50:13, 03/08/21 »
Tokyo Olympics: GB's Giles Scott wins Finn class, gold in men's 49er & silver in mixed Nacra 17 - BBC Sport

Great Britain won two golds and a silver as Giles Scott successfully defended his Finn title on a thrilling day in sailing at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Dylan Fletcher and Stuart Bithell won the men's 49er before Scott's triumph, while John Gimson and Anna Burnet secured silver in the mixed Nacra 17 class.Requiring a top-five finish in the medal race, a late charge from Scott, 34, saw him snatch fourth to clinch his second gold.
And in an equally breathless finish, Fletcher, 31, and Bithell, 34, edged victory from Germany in their medal race to overhaul New Zealand for gold.
"It was pretty stressful but amazing," said Fletcher. "Sometimes the gold medal is won on a fine margin, so hopefully it was a great race for the fans."[/font][/size]
Gimson, 38, and Burnet, 28, were guaranteed a medal and ensured they stayed second by claiming a fifth-placed finish in their medal race.[/font][/size]
That took GB to 13 golds for the Games and four sailing medals after Emma Wilson's bronze in windsurfing, with at least another to come in the final medal races on Wednesday via Hannah Mills and Eilidh McIntyre (women's 470).

celeste

• Global Moderator

celeste

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 18:41:18, 05/08/21 »
Tokyo Olympics: Matt Walls wins omnium gold, Holly Bradshaw claims pole vault bronze, Liam Heath takes kayak bronze & boxer Galal Yafai shines - BBC Sport

Team GB moved past 50 medals at the Tokyo Olympics as cyclist Matt Walls secured gold in the omnium, while Holly Bradshaw and Liam Heath secured bronze in the pole vault and kayak events respectively.
The trio served up eye-catching moments as Team GB reached 51 medals on day 13 of the Games, equalling the number won at Beijing 2008 with three days of competition to go.Boxer Galal Yafai, who like team-mate Lauren Price had already guaranteed himself a medal, won a thrilling semi-final to reach the gold-medal match in the 52kg flyweight division.

Dina Asher-Smith made a return to the track as Britain's 4x100m relay team secured a place in the final, but the relay story was not so positive for the US men's 4x100m team, who were deemed an "embarrassment" by American sprint legends Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson after being eliminated in their heat.

Elsewhere, 18-year-old Keegan Palmer put on a gripping display to win park skateboarding gold for Australia, who now sit fourth in the medal table, with Great Britain sixth.[/font][/size]Tokyo Olympics: Day-by-day guide
  • Relive all the action from day 13
  • [/font][/size][/color]
  • All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #24 on: 10:13:21, 06/08/21 »

Home - BBC News

Cycling -  More from Katie Archibald: "I hope my family are still looking, my mum is one to hide behind the sofa. In the action you get the reward but it's always scary for them watching at home."

And Laura Kenny: "All week I've been saying please don't ask me about Albie [her son], I've never missed him so much but I couldn't do it without these girls. With Katie I feel like I'm racing with a sister - I'm so grateful to have her here and her support, I couldn't have done it without her."

« Last Edit: 10:17:53, 06/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #25 on: 20:46:44, 06/08/21 »
    Tokyo Olympics: How many medals has your region won? - BBC News

In terms of gold medal wins, within the nine regions of England, the North West has extended its lead over Yorkshire and the Humber, with seven compared to five.

In overall awards too the North West is storming ahead with 20, aided in part by the heroics of multi-medallists Guy, Taylor-Brown and swimmer Luke Greenbank.

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #26 on: 11:46:17, 07/08/21 »
    Tokyo Olympics: Gold for Galal Yafai, Tom Daley takes bronze & madison silver for Walls and Hayter - BBC Sport

Coverage: Watch live on BBC TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Red Button and online; Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live, Sports Extra and Sounds; live text and video clips on BBC Sport website

Tom Daley won bronze in the men's 10m platform at Tokyo 2020 after boxer Galal Yafai became Olympic flyweight champion.
    Daley claimed his second medal in Tokyo a few hours after Yafai beat Carlo Paalam of the Philippines to win Britain's 19th gold of the Games.

In the velodrome, Matt Walls and Ethan Hayter added a third medal, winning silver in the men's madison.
    Team GB are fourth in the medal table, with 61 in total.
    « Last Edit: 11:49:20, 07/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #27 on: 10:44:05, 08/08/21 »
    Tokyo Olympics: Jason Kenny wins seventh gold but Laura Kenny reign as omnium champion over - BBC Sport

Jason Kenny became the first Briton to win seven Olympic gold medals with a spectacular defence of his men's keirin title - but wife Laura's reign as women's omnium champion has ended.
    Laura, GB's most successful female athlete, recovered from a crash in her first event to finish sixth in her bid for a third
     successive omnium title.

Jason stunned the men's keirin field as he sprinted clear with three laps remaining to claim victory.
    It is his ninth Olympic medal overall.
    The 33-year-old won silver in the team sprint at the Izu Velodrome to become GB's most decorated Olympian earlier this week but was unable to defend his individual sprint title.
    His tally of seven golds is one more than former team-mate Sir Chris Hoy.

"Seven gold medals is really special. When you look back on the ones you have already got, it seems pretty easy," said Jason. "Then when you try and get more, you remember how hard it is.
    "I have been disappointed this week, I haven't been as competitive as I wanted to be. But in the keirin you can race hard and ride your luck a little bit."
    On his future, he added: "Before today I had all but given up, I was counting my career in days and races as opposed to years, but maybe I have bought myself more time now."
    « Last Edit: 10:47:23, 08/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #28 on: 20:19:38, 08/08/21 »
    Tokyo Olympics: Closing ceremony marks end of behind-closed-doors Games - BBC Sport

photos

The Tokyo Olympics, postponed and played out behind closed doors because of the Covid pandemic, concluded with an upbeat ceremony in Japan's capital.

The Games took place without spectators and athletes were barred from venturing outside the Olympic village.Their staging has faced local opposition and around 30 protestors jostled with police at the National Stadium before the closing ceremony.
    However, other locals have braved heat and warnings to watch events from afar.
    Fans took in outdoor events, such as triathlon and BMX, from overpasses and other vantage points despite temperatures that reached 35C, the hottest ever recorded at an Olympics.

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #29 on: 18:47:14, 09/08/21 »
    Congratulations to all our Olympians

You did so well 

:)