Author Topic: Lily Parr - Women's football stars of the 1930s  (Read 779 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Lily Parr: Unseen photos show first women's football stars - BBC News

Unseen photographs of the first women's football stars have gone on display after being found in an old suitcase in the loft of one of the players' relatives.

The images capture the lives of the Dick, Kerr Ladies team and their superstar striker Lily Parr, as the club enjoyed the height of their success in the 1930s.

The images were owned by Lizzy Ashcroft, who played alongside Parr at the Preston club, and were found by her grandson hidden away in a relative's house.

They have gone on show as the centrepiece of an exhibition dedicated to Parr at the National Football Museum in Manchester.

Born in St Helens on Merseyside in 1905, Parr scored nearly 1,000 goals in a three-decade career, which saw her play in some of the world's first women's international matches.

All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

krisbrookz

Re: Lily Parr - Women's football stars of the 1930s
« Reply #1 on: 12:35:42, 31/07/21 »
I met Percy Shelley in Fog Lane in Didsbury about 66, he told me about his Women's team ' Manchester Corinthians' who travelled round the world playing to crowds of thousands, amazing story, it's on Manchester FA I think

krisbrookz

« Reply #2 on: 12:42:21, 31/07/21 »
Sorry, Percy Ashley

ExileSteve

« Reply #3 on: 22:43:52, 16/09/21 »
I have been looking up this story, inspired by your post. He was an intriguing figure, and the Manchester Corinthians should certainly have a far more prominent place in sporting history. Thank you for granting me the opportunity to learn about these people.