Author Topic: Paralympics 2021  (Read 1888 times)

celeste

• Global Moderator
Paralympics 2021
« on: 11:22:20, 24/08/21 »
Tokyo Paralympics: Sport-by-sport guide - BBC Sport

Coverage: Follow on Radio 5 Live and on the BBC Sport website

Find out more about the 22 sports in which athletes will be competing for medals at the rescheduled Paralympic Games in Tokyo.

Everything you need to know about the Paralympic classification system can be found here.
All that's necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

celeste

• Global Moderator
Re: Paralympics 2021
« Reply #1 on: 07:57:33, 25/08/21 »
Paralympic Games LIVE: Day one results & updates - Live - BBC Sport

Well done to Sarah Storey  O0

Summary
24 medal events on day one in track cycling, swimming and wheelchair fencing
  • GB's first gold of Tokyo Games: Sarah Storey wins 15th Paralympic title & fourth consecutive in C5 3000m individual pursuit
  • She beats compatriot Crystal Lane-Wright who takes silver
  • GB's defending champions Steve Bate & Adam Duggleby take silver in men's B 4000m individual pursuit
  • Reece Dunn and Tully Kearney among seven GB swimmers in medal races (from 09:00 BST)
  • Get involved - #bbcparalympics

• Live Reporting

Katie Falkingham and Katie Stafford

• Posted at 7:537:53
    'Couldn't have written timetable better'

Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson Eleven-time Paralympic champion on BBC Radio 5 Live

You couldn't have written the timetable better for ParalympicsGB.
    To get a gold medal on day one sets the tone for everyone else. The whole team is willing Sarah Storey on to win three gold medals here.
    Her life is sport and you want the medals to come along for that dedication.
  • « Last Edit: 08:02:21, 25/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #2 on: 17:49:21, 25/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Sarah Storey wins 15th Paralympic gold as GB claim six medals - BBC Sport

Sarah Storey put in another world record-breaking performance on her way to claiming her 15th Paralympic title, as Great Britain claimed six medals on the first day of Tokyo 2020.
    The 43-year-old smashed her world best by more than four seconds in the C5 3,000m individual pursuit qualifying and in the final caught team-mate Crystal Lane-Wright, who matched her silver medal from Rio 2016.Storey is just one behind Mike Kenny's British record of 16 golds.

There was also silver for tandem pair Steve Bate and Adam Duggleby in the B 4,000m pursuit.
    Bate and Duggleby were defending champions but the Dutch pair of Tristan Bangma and Patrick Bos, who set a world record in qualifying, caught the Britons in the final.

And there were three swimming medals for ParalympicsGB, with silvers for Reece Dunn in the S14 100m
    butterfly and Tully Kearney in the S5 200m freestyle, as well as bronze for Toni Shaw in the S9 400m freestyle.
    Read more about GB's medal success in the pool

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #3 on: 13:24:04, 26/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Lee Pearson wins 12th gold as GB enjoy cycling and swimming success - BBC Sport

Lee Pearson won his 12th Paralympic title as Great Britain took five golds across four sports on day two of the Tokyo Paralympics
    The Para-equestrian rider, who made his debut at Sydney 2000, and his horse Breezer, claimed victory in the Grade II individual test with team-mate Georgia Wilson third.There was also joy for a trio of Paralympic debutants - cyclist Jaco van Gass and swimmers Tully Kearney and Maisie Summers-Newton, who all set world records on their way to winning gold medals.

And wheelchair fencer Piers Gilliver, a silver medallist in Rio, went one better this time in the epee A final.
    Van Gass, 35, who was injured while serving with the Parachute Regiment in Afghanistan

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #4 on: 10:49:38, 27/08/21 »
    Paralympic Games LIVE: Day three results & updates - Live - BBC Sport

SWIMMING: GB's Hannah Russell retains S12 100m backstroke title

• Reece Dunn sets world record to win men's S14 200m freestyle gold
  • Bethany Firth takes silver & Jessica Jane-Applegate bronze in women's S14 200m freestyle
  • O0
  • « Last Edit: 10:53:34, 27/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #5 on: 18:32:32, 27/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Kadeena Cox sets new world record to win gold - BBC Sport

Britain's Kadeena Cox retained her C4-5 500m time trial Paralympic title with a stunning world-record ride in Tokyo.
    The 30-year-old, who won cycling and athletics gold at the 2016 Rio Games, knew she had to beat the time of 35.830 seconds set by Canadian world champion Kate O'Brien to win Britain's seventh gold of the Games.And she smashed that with a brilliant 34.812secs - beating the old record by 0.411secs.

"I knew I was going to have to do something special, and that if I put everything together that me and my coach had worked on, it would be amazing," she said.
    "I executed a race that was near-perfect - I'm so happy."

celeste

• Global Moderator

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #7 on: 10:16:05, 29/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Great Britain's Hannah Cockroft wins third successive 100m gold - BBC Sport

Hannah Cockroft set a new world record to win her third consecutive T34 100m crown and claim a stunning sixth Paralympic title, as Great Britain moved to five golds on day five in Tokyo.

Cockroft, 29, bettered her own record with a time of 16.39 seconds to overhaul team-mate Kare Adenegan, who took silver ahead of Australia's Robyn Lambird.

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #8 on: 17:53:44, 30/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Lee Pearson, Andrew Small and Phoebe Paterson Pine claim golds as GB win eight medals - BBC Sport

Second in the table O0

Lee Pearson won his 14th Paralympic title as Great Britain won eight medals on day six of Tokyo 2020.
    Pearson, on Breezer, won individual freestyle test (grade II) gold with a score of 82.447%, as GB team-mate Georgia Wilson took bronze. Baker won silver in the grade III event for her third medal in Tokyo.

Earlier, wheelchair racer Andrew Small won T33 100m gold while archer Phoebe Paterson Pine took archery gold on her Paralympic debut.

Athletes Jonnie Peacock and Harri Jenkins and powerlifter Louise Sugden won bronze medals.
    At the end of the sixth day of action, ParalympicsGB remain second in the medal table on 68 medals, including 26 golds.
    « Last Edit: 17:57:30, 30/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #9 on: 20:49:12, 30/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Neil and Lora Fachie both win Paralympic gold for GB - BBC Sport

Neil Fachie said it was "beyond our dreams" after he and wife Lora both won Paralympic cycling gold within the space of 16 minutes.
    The Fachies' success was part of a superb Saturday for the Great Britain team that brought seven gold medals overall. Neil and pilot Matt Rotherham smashed their own world record to beat team-mates James Ball and Lewis Stewart for gold in the B 1,000m time trial.

They surpassed their old time of 59.278 seconds with a new mark of 58.038 to give Neil his second Paralympic gold after he won with Barney Storey at London 2012.
    And shortly afterwards, Lora and Corrine Hall successfully retained their B 3,000m pursuit crown.

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #10 on: 16:04:35, 31/08/21 »
    Toyko Paralympics: Sarah Storey wins 16th gold after C5 time trial victory - BBC Sport

Congrats.  to Sarah Storey,  16th Gold Medal  and maybe more O0
    « Last Edit: 16:08:40, 31/08/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #11 on: 18:13:46, 31/08/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Swimmer Reece Dunn sets world record to win third gold of Games - BBC Sport

Dunn defies pain to win goldDunn, 25, only broke onto the British swimming scene in 2019 but has taken his maiden Paralympics by storm with four medals, with the backstroke still to come.

He was second at the final turn but powered through on the freestyle leg to touch first, shaving 0.14 seconds off the world record, previously set by Japan's Dai Tokairin in 2019.

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #12 on: 18:42:40, 01/09/21 »
    Update -

Britain's David Smith compared himself to Manchester United footballer Cristiano Ronaldo after he retained his BC1 individual Paralympic boccia title with a thrilling victory in Tokyo.

The 32-year-old trailed Chew Wei Lun of Malaysia 2-0 after the first of four ends but stormed back to win 4-2 for GB's 30th gold of the Tokyo Games.Smith had previously likened himself to the six-time world snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan but said his approach in the final was more in keeping with the Portuguese forward.

"I like to be creative, I like to put on a show," said Smith, "I like to play well but I prefer to win, so I guess you could put me in that camp.
    "I'm probably unlike Ronnie and more like Ronaldo in that if I have to dig it out, I will - and I work hard to get what I need to do."

The victory gives Smith his fifth Paralympic medal and sees him overtake Nigel Murray as the country's most successful athlete in the sport.

Swimmer Becky Redfern won silver in the SB13 100m breaststroke, just over a year after giving birth to son Patrick.Redfern's 'tough ride' to Tokyo silver
    « Last Edit: 18:46:43, 01/09/21 by celeste »

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #13 on: 10:12:29, 02/09/21 »
    Imperious Sarah Storey wins historic 17th Paralympic gold medal for Great Britain (msn.com)

She's a legend

Imperious Sarah Storey wins historic 17th Paralympic gold medal for Great Britain

celeste

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #14 on: 14:21:19, 03/09/21 »
    Tokyo Paralympics: Great Britain win more golds and pass the 100-medal mark - BBC Sport

Paralympic Games

Venue: Tokyo, Japan Dates: 24 August-5 September Time in Tokyo: BST +8Coverage: Follow on Radio 5 Live and on the BBC Sport website.Great Britain won three more gold medals as they passed the 100-medal mark at the Tokyo Paralympics and started day 10 on a high.

The golds went to canoeist Emma Wiggs and athletes Jonathan Broom-Edwards and Owen Miller.Wiggs was victorious in the VL2 200m event - the first time that the Va'a boat, which is an outrigger canoe with a support float and is used with a single-bladed paddle - has been raced at the Paralympics.
    She will aim to defend her KL2 kayak title on Saturday.

World T44 high jump champion Broom-Edwards, a silver medallist in Rio, went one better this time by clearing 2.10m with his second attempt for gold after he needed three efforts at 2.07m.
    Miller, making his Paralympic debut, put in a strong final lap to win the T20 1500m in three minutes 54.57 seconds, ahead of Russian Alexander Rabotnitskii.
    « Last Edit: 14:26:00, 03/09/21 by celeste »